HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Here is a picture of the belly which shows the arrangement I used for the electronics. It worked out pretty good, there is nothing I would change at this time.
Thanks guys, it looks clean so I see nothing to change.... other then that electronics eatting prop thing you pointed out.

Just out of curiousity, was the KF step part of creating a stiff fuse or was it added for performance as and after thought? ust trying to understand if it was the Chicken or the egg that came first.

Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Thanks guys, it looks clean so I see nothing to change.... other then that electronics eatting prop thing you pointed out.

Just out of curiousity, was the KF step part of creating a stiff fuse or was it added for performance as and after thought? ust trying to understand if it was the Chicken or the egg that came first.

Ron
Chegg; part chicken, part egg.

The KF adds the required stiffness and strength without the need for carbon.
It also makes the airfoil thick enough to allow some decent shape to be sanded into the leading edge.

Of course the KF performance and ease of building were the other two reasons for this choice of construction.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Chegg; part chicken, part egg.

Chegg........Eggen <shrug>

Was there a published scale plan to this little guy? I only seen reference to a something in the thread, like it. This time I looked first.
Ron
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Chegg........Eggen <shrug>

Was there a published scale plan to this little guy? I only seen reference to a something in the thread, like it. This time I looked first.
Ron
This is all I have for plans so far. Each square = 1 inch.

Could use a hand making real plans if any one is up to the task.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:27 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
This is all I have for plans so far. Each square = 1 inch.

Could use a hand making real plans if any one is up to the task.
I can work from this, just wanted to make sure if this was the latest and greatest. I may be able to pop this into AutoCad by the weekend and get some PDF's out.

Ron
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Hi Lead, I whipped this up pretty quickly in inkscape (great free program, btw) - I couldn't get you're hand drawing scaled exactly to the grid I was using so I estimated as best I could

edit didn't realise at the time Ron was gonna do some magic in autocad might be a good idea just to use this a check or something then.

It's full scale A0 at the mo, I haven't got round to setting up Scale&Tile on my new computer yet so someone else will have to play with it for now to tile it - although Leadfeather should probably check it before endorsing it

Hugh
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Last edited by Hughbert; Oct 28, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:43 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
I can work from this, just wanted to make sure if this was the latest and greatest. I may be able to pop this into AutoCad by the weekend and get some PDF's out.

Ron

That would be great Ron, thanks!

The only dimensions that are kind of hard to pick off the drawing is the KF strip cord lengths. At the root the KF cord should be 7.6" and the tip the KF cord is 3.2".

I'll do a sketch for the skids too and send them later tonight.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:40 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Plan? what Plan?...No problem!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
United States, FL, Mary Esther
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
Just a thought about the noise. Try scooping out the trailing edge of the prop slot--the straight edge blown by the prop will make a lot of turbulence which equals noise.
Pavelow is offline Find More Posts by Pavelow
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavelow
Just a thought about the noise. Try scooping out the trailing edge of the prop slot--the straight edge blown by the prop will make a lot of turbulence which equals noise.
Ah.... An EPP Whistle if you will.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:23 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Hugh thanks for pitching in.

Here are some photos from the flying field this evening. Adams plane was not flying as fast or climbing as well as mine. It may be that my motor is a 1500 kV?? blue wonder. Don't now for sure though since there are no markings on the motor.

Also here is the sketch of the skids for the plans. 6 1/4" x 1 1/2"; same foam as airframe.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavelow

Pavelow,

I'm game for anything that would improve the noise. I'm not sure what you mean by scooping out the trailing edge of the prop slot??
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,736 Posts
FireFly Plans Updated!

Hi Dan,

Love watching your threads. Did a quick drawing in TurboCAD for this one. See if you would like any annotations. I just put the minimum in for now.

I'll add the skids into the file.

On the annotations, if you write them the way you would like them to appear, I can just copy and paste.

Adam is quite an artist on the paint job!

Ken

Edit: Deleted plans as the latest version is in the following post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=740
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 21, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Plans updated
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
Even with the motor at the very back, where there is no slot, they make a lot of racket. It has something to do with the air moving across the surface of the wing before it enters the prop. I read about this aerodynamic effect in a model magazine, but there should be an explanation somewhere here on the zone.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Even with the motor at the very back, where there is no slot, they make a lot of racket. It has something to do with the air moving across the surface of the wing before it enters the prop. I read about this aerodynamic effect in a model magazine, but there should be an explanation somewhere here on the zone.
Gold, It would be nice to know more about this and if it points to any improvements.