HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,252 Posts
A great design, some good build ideas and EPP too.

I built a similiar design, but for indoor, put the rudder on the bottom as a prop protector like the 'one buck, one minute' design. The prop came home, the FFF didn't.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
thanks Dan,

Well from a single piece of foam early this afternoon to a maiden tonight, it was my fastest build. I got one battery through it tonight in the gym. It flew great. I have to say, I like it a lot more when it is my plane so I can actually push it a bit. I was pretty happy, I was getting the rolling harrier going, Don style. I was going to grab a video of the second flight but the wires from the esc pulled off of the deans connector, SUCK! Oh well, love the plane. Here are a few finished pics.
Dang that was a fast build! I can't wait to see your awesome looking FireFly in the air.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:56 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
A great design, some good build ideas and EPP too.

I built a similiar design, but for indoor, put the rudder on the bottom as a prop protector like the 'one buck, one minute' design. The prop came home, the FFF didn't.
Thanks Gold!

This is the same electronic arrangement I've used on PBF's too. It makes it easy to move the battery around quite a bit to adjust cg. With the combination of forward skids and the tail that extendeds down a bit it helps hide the electronics and gets the prop away from the ground a bit too.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:05 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Those Blue Wonders are really loud motors, until you re-wind them. 11T24AWG is very quiet and a white knuckle event worth of power.
I really like this design, nicely done. Last time I used PU glue with EPP, it blead up through the pours in the foam when it expanded, but that was 1.3# and in had a glue rash I like welder for EPP but for laminate bond it my be a bit heavy, I think Dekan has the right idea with 3M77 type product.

Thanks for sharing
Ron
Thanks for the nice words Ron.

I think the Spray 77 might be a good alternative too. Sticks well and is light weight. The one small advantage of the PU glue is that you get time to easily adjust the position of the laminations. I would probably stick with it for now myself.

I'm planning on doing my first rewind later this week. Timocharis has done a lot of work on this and has a really nice wind of 13T24AWG. Great thrust and improved efficiency over any other known wind so far. I'm going to give it a try. Details in his July 12 2008 Blog
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 29, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:02 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Dan.. I used to rewind motors for my slot racing cars in the 60's...I'm not sure if I want to start again...Good luck.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:24 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Dan.. I used to rewind motors for my slot racing cars in the 60's...I'm not sure if I want to start again...Good luck.
Yeah, it is not a money saving thing (the BW motors are so inexpensive) so much as the satisfaction of making a better motor with my own hands. I'm anxious to see how good the results will be.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:28 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Thanks for the nice words Ron.

I'm planning on doing my first rewind later this week. Timocharis has done a lot of work on this and has a really nice wind of 13T24AWG. Great thrust and improved efficiency over any other known wind so far. I'm going to give it a try. Details in his July 12 2008 Blog
Dave <Timocharis> taught me everything I know about re-winding the Wye ABC motors. 11T24AWG is my best to date and it was tough. I am not sure how he does that 13T but finger pain comes to mind.

The difference is night and day in power and quiet smooth operations. Just re-winding them with the stock 14T26 improves them since they dont have consistant turns from the factory.

11T24 might just rip the Vert stab and rudder clean off

Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
This one looks really cool guys, almost the perfect 'plaything' to throw around I tried something like this a while ago, but made it too short and couldn't get the CG far enough forward.

Trust lead to nail another great design

Hugh
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Yeah depressing aint it
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughbert
This one looks really cool guys, almost the perfect 'plaything' to throw around I tried something like this a while ago, but made it too short and couldn't get the CG far enough forward.

Trust lead to nail another great design

Hugh
Thanks Hugh!

No big deal really, I just took a proven design and added a couple of my own bits to it.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:17 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Safety wire

On my last outing, the ESC came off the Velcro mount and flew back into the prop, cutting the ESC's Rx leads. I've never had a component come loose like that before but this was the second time on the FireFly.

To help avoid the wire going into the prop again, I added a safety wire, a twist tie that is hot glued to the airframe and will prevent this from happening again.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:25 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Dan.. Exactly the same thing happened to my Lasertoyz Mini Arrow, only it was the battery leads... it fell out the sky like lop sided frisbee.

The funny thing is that the Mini Arrow has a similar skid /battery mount arrangement. Cable tie through the skid fixed it
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Dan.. Exactly the same thing happened to my Lasertoyz Mini Arrow, only it was the battery leads... it fell out the sky like lop sided frisbee.

The funny thing is that the Mini Arrow has a similar skid /battery mount arrangement. Cable tie through the skid fixed it

I gues the up side to that is a lop sided frisbee falls slower the a good one.

Is there any pictures around of how all the electronics are layed out on the bottom? All I remember seeing are the very cool top sides. btw, don't tell adreher this but his graphix kick ,don't want him getting a big head or anything

Ron

I should have said Full Size/view picture I guess.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:09 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Ron. Light Auw,plenty of carbon and long grass help...... Post #8 ?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,561 Posts
Belly side up

Here is a picture of the belly which shows the arrangement I used for the electronics. It worked out pretty good, there is nothing I would change at this time.