SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,746 Posts
FireFly in MPF

I have not been on this thread in awhile, but now that indoor season is upon us, I am looking to see if this design a good candidate for indoor streamer or full contact combat. So has anyone tried this?

I have reworked the design for MPF (Model Plane Foam). UAW is right at 7oz at the moment.

Motor will be a 1700 Kv Blue Wonder with an 8x4.3 prop. This setup will function well on 2s and be brutish on 3s.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
I have not been on this thread in awhile, but now that indoor season is upon us, I am looking to see if this design a good candidate for indoor streamer or full contact combat. So has anyone tried this?

I have reworked the design for MPF (Model Plane Foam). UAW is right at 7oz at the moment.

Motor will be a 1700 Kv Blue Wonder with an 8x4.3 prop. This setup will function well on 2s and be brutish on 3s.

Ken
Ken, that should work very well. I've had good success with the3 FireFly (epp) in full combat; very fun.

I've built a depron FF and it flew very well too; probably faster than the epp builds due to the thin wing. I think the MPF build should be great. I recommend small 2s battery ; cg well back; for indoor. For outdoor, the 1700 kV motor and 3s should provide plenty of top speed.

I wonder if another KF layer on top (KF-4 I think) with lots of nice shaping in the leading edge would also be a good MPF build?

Looking forward to your flight report. Good luck!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:

Ken
I used double layers of dollar tree. I sanded to the first layer of the KF airfoil and sanded the last giving more curve on the top. With the 1700kv and a gws 8040 it books. I am working on an emax 2215 1600kv at 16 amps with a 7x6 APC. I either have a bad ESC or a bad solder joint but I'll let you know how that goes.

Nice build
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,746 Posts
Maidened the MPF FireFly today.

What an easy flyer. Used an 850 mAh 2s battery. She has plenty of authority with a flying weight of 7.8 oz. and just over 300 sq. in. of wing area. 3.744 oz per sq. ft. I know the epp ships are probably lighter, but this is very low loading after coming off the summer combat season.

It was a bit blustery out today, but the FireFly had plenty of penetrating power. Power off holding up elevator allowed for vertical descents (Fun!). Nice smooth roll rate. Noticed that the rudder acts more like an aileron as it easily rolled with full deflection.

I would like to put a strip of foam about 3/4" wide just outboard of the servo parallel to the linkage to stiffen the for/aft flatness of the airframe. These would be underneath and start at the control horn and terminate just in front of the hinge line.

Now for paint!
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,773 Posts
Quote:
Maidened the MPF FireFly today.

What an easy flyer. Used an 850 mAh 2s battery. She has plenty of authority with a flying weight of 7.8 oz. and just over 300 sq. in. of wing area. 3.744 oz per sq. ft. I know the epp ships are probably lighter, but this is very low loading after coming off the summer combat season.

It was a bit blustery out today, but the FireFly had plenty of penetrating power. Power off holding up elevator allowed for vertical descents (Fun!). Nice smooth roll rate. Noticed that the rudder acts more like an aileron as it easily rolled with full deflection.

I would like to put a strip of foam about 3/4" wide just outboard of the servo parallel to the linkage to stiffen the for/aft flatness of the airframe. These would be underneath and start at the control horn and terminate just in front of the hinge line.

Now for paint!
Ken
Glad you are enjoying the FireFly.

The stiffeners are a good idea for the MPF build...maybe for epp too. For indoor flying the epp will last far longer, but for outdoor flying the MPF or similar foams will out perform epp.

I've never tried the 1700 kV motor. I'm interested to here how it does on 3s with a fast prop. Should be pretty quick.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:40 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,746 Posts
Dan,
I have had excellent sucess with the 1700 on 3s with a 7x6 prop. No overheating issues. Makes sense to pitch down one and diameter up one to get similar power draw.

After closer examination of the tail flex condition, I believe it is the center portion behind the prop slot that is flexing up and down. I am going to try a CF flat near the elevon hinge line.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Emax CF 2812 @ 16 amps with a 1300 mah 3s
APC 7x6 prop
60% higher watts and I don't know how fast it is until I turn the thrust angle down and try this afternoon.
Earlier it was flying crazy fast and still gliding in the wind. Smoked my 3000 kv and my 1700 kv BW. Lead, I think it migh beat 60mph easy. Scary fast. Stryker C fast. WOW!
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
APC 7x6 prop
60% higher watts and I don't know how fast it is until I turn the thrust angle down and try this afternoon.
Earlier it was flying crazy fast and still gliding in the wind. Smoked my 3000 kv and my 1700 kv BW. Lead, I think it migh beat 60mph easy. Scary fast. Stryker C fast. WOW!
Rick,

Sounds like a great motor. When you say you smoked your motors...literally or this new motor beats them for speed and power?

Also on your Dollar Tree build did you use both a top and bottom KF? Couldn't quite tell from the description.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Rick,

Sounds like a great motor. When you say you smoked your motors...literally or this new motor beats them for speed and power?

Also on your Dollar Tree build did you use both a top and bottom KF? Couldn't quite tell from the description.
Smoked as in crazy fast. I would not be surprised at 60 mph!

Dollar tree is about 4.5mm thick. I depaper, cut out two parts each and laminate with craft foam glue. My speeder has split bamboo along the tail and skids. I also add split stakes of bamboo inside the double thick skids. Strong. I sanded all parts to the bamboo as that serves as a sanding guide so the rudder and skids are streamlined. I rounded the top to the third layer of the KF and rounded the final layer down. That added some speed with the 1700. This motor has 60% more power and it REALLY shows.

With the extra 1/2 ounce she still floats beautifully. I have added some down elevator mix for full throttle and up for takeoff. Still a handfull. I am adding a battery strap as it pulls really strong velcro loose at a high speed pull out.

All you need is a 20 amp esc and an $8.95 motor. Good to go! I will try to get video later and maybe a speed check.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:02 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,034 Posts
Quote:
Dan,

After closer examination of the tail flex condition, I believe it is the center portion behind the prop slot that is flexing up and down. I am going to try a CF flat near the elevon hinge line.

Ken
All of mine have done that, I stopped it with a reverse triangle of CF tubing (apex towards the rear) I had one with soft EPP that was impossible to do a low high speed pass, come out of a dive, try to level off down the runway and you automatically got up elevator.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
For Halloween, here is my Candy Corn FireFly.

waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
APC 7x6 prop
Can you post a picture of the motor mount you used?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Can you post a picture of the motor mount you used?
Already did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22502163

Plastic mount stick here

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

The Blue wonder motors fit right inside the stick.

$7.95 smokin fast motor here

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

Cut a square hole all the way through the foam for the stick and glue a basswood pad underneath. Drill and screw the stick. Use washers to adjust thrust angle. I think you could put some yaw adjustment in if you wanted to.

I think it is the best mount I've seen yet. I can't believe I thought it out myself!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I need the stick mount with the bigger base then. The one I have is too small. I will see if I can find one in stock. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I need the stick mount with the bigger base then. The one I have is too small. I will see if I can find one in stock. Thanks.
All you need is the stick and a stick mount. Most motors have a mount for a 10mm stick. That is the size of the plastic stick.