HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
Norfolk, MA
Joined May 2008
12 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF versus Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF

I just purchased a Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF... after doing so, I posted a few questions on the build and some people have mentioned the Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF as an alternative.

Before I start the GP Big Stik 40 build, can anyone tell me that I should not build it, return it and buy the Hanger 9 version instead.

Two things to note:

1. The Hanger 9 Ultra Stik has flaps built into build (should you wish and I do wish). I love flaps and wonder if not having the quad-flap ability that is described in the Hanger 9 ad space for the Ultra 9, will hamper future use and excitement of this plane?

2. The Hanger 9 Ultra is currently on back-order, should I just make flaps on my GP Big Stik and forget the Untra Stik?

Any comments on quality of package/plane? Build speed/quality... etc. etc.?

Note: I will be powering either of these two planes with an OS .55AX

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Don
fishingships is offline Find More Posts by fishingships
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:19 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
I can only speak of the GP BS 40. I built mine as a tail dragger with a wire front gear, 4.5" vintage, and rear skid and absolutely love it! I have a 46AX and it scoots along just fine on WOT, plus it slows down for easy landings. Handles windy days good and is a delight to fly. On high rates it's pretty wild, a bit too much for me, it will flat spin but mine doesn't hold a knife edge very well and requires aileron, rudder, & elevator to keep it on edge. Why not add two more servos to the wing and cut the aileron to make flaps if you want them, wouldn't be hard to do. I also removed the small amount of dihedral in the wing and made it totally flat. Did I already say I love it

DG
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:29 PM
Norfolk, MA
Joined May 2008
12 Posts
Gregory.da

Thank you for your inputs, hopefully your are dignlvn on the "other" RC forum "universe".. because if that is your plane, w/ wire wheels, it is gorgeous and a wonderful example of fine plane buidling and craftsmanship. Excellent job!

Yes, I was thinking the same and possible put flaps on myself w/ the added servo boxes, etc... I wanted to see if there was anything "more" to the Hanger 9 version than just the flaps, so I am not sure, but probably staying w/ GP 40 as you have convinced me, actually shown me, how to improve on a great design.. I will have to think of my own "additions/mods" to make his build my own, as you have so nicely done with yours.
Congrats again, great job....

Thank you.

Don
fishingships is offline Find More Posts by fishingships