HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:08 PM
Chevy Chase, MD
Joined May 2006
134 Posts
Discussion
Challenger II FPV

Has anyone had actual fpv experience with the Hobby Lobby Challenger II?
http://hobby-lobby.com/challenger.htm
I know there have been some flight perfomance issues (helitron).
-Peter
pshimm is offline Find More Posts by pshimm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Hi Peter,

you're right, yes, after flying some minutes without problems I crashed with the CH II during maiden flight unfortunately. Firstly I thought it was tip stalling but later then I found the real cause: interference due to a mobile phone transmitter tower only 700 m away from my flying site.

I still like the plane but I didn't found the time till today to repair it, perhaps now during winter season. I'm still sure that the CH II would be a great FPV bird.

Btw. here the video of the maiden plus crash: http://www.vimeo.com/1235474

Here on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36-9S6CkwY

Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_
Last edited by _helitron_; Oct 23, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2008
817 Posts
the plane itself looks like it would make a great FPV platform for those of us interested in "bigger than ez*" fpv action with that much lift you can carry alot of battery, alot of camera gear, and fly for long or high flights if you wanted to.
aside from the fact that the airframe itself costs so much more than an ezstar..
hoysome is offline Find More Posts by hoysome
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:10 PM
Chevy Chase, MD
Joined May 2006
134 Posts
Erwin,
That was a damned shame--that looked like a beautiful build. Before the crash the elevator looked VERY sensitive--perhaps the plane was a bit tail heavy? Where were you planning to place the camera--inside the cockpit? Was the windscreen distorting? I've been thinking of adapting the nose cone for the camera mount. how about the transmitter and antenna? How about GPS? Would you choose this plane again for fpv? It seems like plain bad luck with the radio interference.
-Peter
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:45 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,891 Posts
I have one... I had issues getting it off the ground (electric conversion) Don't fly much anymore
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:02 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,364 Posts
I've been wanting to build one of these, but with a .60 two stroke glow engine. With the engine on the back, all of the mess would stay off the important stuff in the cockpit anyway.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:21 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,335 Posts
I picked one up and was going to fly it. It requires a HUGE amount of lead in the nose when you use a '46' glow engine. I'm sure you can counter balance the plane with the battery pack. I never finished my plane and ended up giving it away to someone when I moved.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:37 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
***** REMOVED BY TYPICALAIMSTER ***

RCG Rule..

Trolling (Obnoxious behavior) The post is designed to annoy other users, inflate the post count of the author, describe or recommend an illegal or recklessly dangerous activity, or give advice that, if followed, would cause obvious harm.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Last edited by typicalaimster; Oct 23, 2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Post discussed use of weapons on model airplanes. Please edit your post!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,335 Posts
Edited the last post...
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Oct 23, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:25 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Hi Peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshimm
Erwin,
That was a damned shame--that looked like a beautiful build.
Yes, was really bad luck ! Below a pic of the CH II half an hour before maiden.

Quote:
Before the crash the elevator looked VERY sensitive--perhaps the plane was a bit tail heavy?
No, CG was ok so far but I've had too much travel on the elevator servo and forgot to add some expo unfortunately. The probs during start was also due to too much travel on the rudder/nose gear, after adding some expo I was able to steer the bird on the "runway" (too see in the video).

Quote:
Where were you planning to place the camera--inside the cockpit? Was the windscreen distorting? I've been thinking of adapting the nose cone for the camera mount.
First I've planned to add the Pandora cam holder from Mr. RC-CAM/DPCAV (see pic below) under the nose and in front of the front gear but there was too much lead inside the nose (from the manufacturer), so it was impossible to install the cam holder there. This lead in the nose (necessary for gas or glow engines) is really a pain in case of an electric conversion. Was able to remove some lead with a drilling machine but not very much. Lead is absolutely not necessary for electric due to the heavy batteries in the cockpit. But perhaps there is now lead anymore in the newer kits now, don't know it. Later then I've planned to install the cam inside the cockpit, yes, and the windscreen is a very clear material. Don't think that it would be disturb the footage very much.

Quote:
how about the transmitter and antenna? How about GPS? Would you choose this plane again for fpv?
All my FPV stuff (200 mW Tx + rubber duck antenna) is from BWAV and it's working very well so far on another plane (MPX Cularis). For GPS I've got an OSD from FredericG here on RCG (I was a beta tester also) but today I think I'd buy a DragonOSD or IFOSD. Have planned to repair the CH II and to use it for FPV, yes.

Edit: have planned also to add a FMA CPD4 co-pilot to stabilize roll and pitch, got very good experience in the last three years with that stuff.

Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_
Last edited by _helitron_; Oct 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:31 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
OMG Erwin... sorry to see the mishap, but knowing you (Mr. Perfectionist) and your master hands... that plane will be fixed and looking like it never had a crash!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,891 Posts
I flew the co-pilot but, never turned it on. I had to drill all of the lead out of the nose and had the camera mounted in the belly. Roll out was a problem that was overcome by taller nose gear. After trimming out it flew really good (stable), but was not an efficient set up in my estimation. Now I just fly the regulatory stuff…
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:22 AM
Chevy Chase, MD
Joined May 2006
134 Posts
I just really love flying fpv in large models. I love the taxi, take-off roll, using gps osd, flying a landing pattern and landing with wheels on a club field. It's so similar to full scale--it's awesome. There just isn't another ARF, large, pusher that is easily converted to electric out there as far as I know. If anyone knows of one, let me know! I think I'm going to go ahead and build it. I may not even use the nose cone and just mount the pan-tilt right infront of the cockpit. Does anyone have a suggestion for what electric motor/esc/battery I should use? I don't care much what the plane looks like--I just want a good, electric big model fpv experience without a prop in my view. I may do a build thread this winter if you guys want.
-Peter
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:27 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2008
817 Posts
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/challenger.htm

they list all the stuff required for e-conversion. you can mic and match with similar kv motors and esc's. same with batteries
hoysome is offline Find More Posts by hoysome
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:54 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,994 Posts
Peter, I think that all such designs have a common ancestor, the 50s Pushy Cat. What do you think about it ?
There are planes in a thread here (check vintage1 build log), which can easily be converted to Autocad DXF and resized to any size.
Original design has 1100mm (44") wings, scale it to 200% and you are done.
Wondering how much would cost to cut such model... I could be interested about a 1.5x scale, i.e. 66" wings.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa