HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Discussion
New Project = new problems !!

Hi guys

Ok this is my first post and i'm asking for help already !!

I'm building a RC bait boat, not sure if any of you have heard of "bait boats" ? They are simply a boat which has a means of taking upto 3kg of bait out to a selected place and then dumping it ... fishing got technical !

So, i've built the hull but i've come to a bit of a problem. The way i've chosen to deliver the bait is quite simple, its a sloping ramp with a hatch at one end which opens and then the bait slides down the slope and into the water. The problem is I'm not sure how to raise and lower the hatch.

The hatch is hinged on the top and wants to swing upwards, away from the back of the boat. (I think its probably a good idea if i post some pictures to show you all what i mean ?)

Hopefully some of you will be kind enough to help out an RC noob !?? I'm a total novice and this is my first ever project so please be gentle lol.

I look forwards to talking to you all soon and pleasssseeeee any tips or hints chuck them on here, i'm interested !

Thanks guys,
Dan.
danny_boy is offline Find More Posts by danny_boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Hi Dan
Is this running a forward only esc ? ( NO reverse ? ) If so , this may help , idea
wise... our guys make dumb-simple hulls to put buoys out for races - a small servo
with 2 sided horn is used . the idea is , push the TX stick up and the servo turns and
one side of the horn pushes against a switch which activates the motor . so now you
are where you want to be , pull the TX stick down and the servo turns the other way
and on our boats , it moves a little rod that is holding the buoy weight at the
transom , pin moves , weight drops . in your case , a line could lead to something
as simple a a cotter pin that hold yor ramp door closed , servo moves , pins pulls
out of hole and bait slides off the ramp. the switch for the motor is just a micro-
switch , only a little pressure is needed to send power to the motor ...
OK , now I'll sit back and wait for the correct way to do this by guys that really
know about this stuff .... lol

Allan
Chicago
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups.

Put a large servo horn, on your actuator servo, and
place the connecting rod as far out as possible on
the horn. Attach the other end of the connecting rod to
the door as close to the hinge as possible.
This should give the connection a larger amount of
"throw" at the door.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Thorsail and Umi Ryuzki ... thanks guys !!!

I'm not suprised that i got a great answer on here after reading some of the other posts, you guys all really know your stuff (i've had some very strange ideas from other forums trust me !!).

I think Umi's idea is the solution to my problem and like said its just a matter of turning the whole thing upside down and its perfect.

Well thankyou both and a special thanks to Umi for solving my problem, wish I'd have thought of it lol.

Cheers !
danny_boy is offline Find More Posts by danny_boy
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:38 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,783 Posts
Or...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869727

toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup