HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:03 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Discussion
CMpro 40 size P 47

Hi
I just found out that I have a 40 size CMPro P 47 razorback lying in my workshop (I had almost forgot this one)
Since I do prefer electric planes I decided to convert this nice looking bird. I dont have a picture of it, but here is a link with a picture of the plane http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/548
This picture shows a camo P 47, mine is in silver.

Specs :
Wing span 1410 mm
Weight 2,500 2,600 grams
Wing area 32 dm2
Wing loading 70 80 g/dm2
Recommended engines 4c 52 62

I also have a Cyclone Power 55 engine http://www.cyclonbrushless.com/cyclon_power.htm that might play the role as wasp 2800 engine
I have not decided what kind of battery or prop setup yet. I guess I ll have to do some surgery to fit a battery tray and make a engine mount. Maybe I can copy the ideas from the conversions of the 50 size Zero.

So far so good, but does anyone have some kind of experience with this one, electric or fuel version ?? I tried to do some searching on the internet, but it seems like this plane doesnt exist - maybe it was a bad plane ? It looks where nice and its a shame that its not in the air where it belongs. Ill try to do something about that

Are
Sir Barf is offline Find More Posts by Sir Barf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,839 Posts
Are,

Ive wanted this plane for awhile too. From what I understand, the instructions have the wrong CG listed, as did my .50 sized zero. They never modified the instructions for the smaller sized aircraft. The CG listed for my zero was for the 120 sized plane

Heres some threads Ive found:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/rnip40wa40si.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=cmp+p40

Hope that helps!
Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMpro P 47 40 size

Hi
Thanks for the links. Hmm, this was not good news I hope there is someone out there that has build this one and have some information to share with the rest of us. Its a shame, both the P 40 and the P47 are great looking planes and deserve a better destiny than this. Dont producers testfly their products anymore ??
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMpro P 47

Hi
I finally found a thread on this one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2666612
There seems to be some minor adjustments to make before first flight.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:56 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47

Hi
Some uppdates, I ve cut a opening in the firewall where I can make a batterytray. Hmm, I have to figure out a way to change battery ??
Are
Old Nov 08, 2008, 11:55 AM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
858 Posts
My Nitro CMP P-47

Sir Barf,

I've been flying mine for a couple years now as a nitro bird, and it flies great as long as you have the CG right. The CG in the manual is wrong and that is what caused so many problems for some of the initial buyers.

The only other problem is that the included fixed gear wires are pretty flimsy, and mine are almost at the end of their useful life. Part of that is my fault as I learned to land this bird, but that's another story.

With the CG correct, she flies fine, slows down easily without stalling, and lands without incident. I've had a couple deadstick landings that would have been a problem with other warbirds, but not this one. Good luck with your electric conversion.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47

Hi bmizes
Ive read that 76 mm is the correct CG on this plane. Can you confirm that ? Or what CG are you using ?
Im going to fit retract on this one - itll be my first plane with retracts
Are
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:18 AM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
858 Posts
Sir Barf,

It's been so long that my marks are no longer there, but I can refer you to the thread that I used. After so many had problems, Dan Savage offered to calculate the proper CG for me after I sent him a picture of the wing. He did his calculation, and sent me back a pic showing 22, 25, and 27% MAC locations. As I recall, I think I went with the 22% MAC location. When you look at the pic he sent, you can see exactly where that is. I'd flip my P-47 over and measure again for you, but it's filled with gas at the moment. If this picture doesn't help, let me know and I'll empty out the gas and see where it balances. As I recall, the 76mm is about right, but I would use the picture in the link to get the location.

The thread with the information is: Dan Savage's CG Calculation

Good luck.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,082 Posts
I've got one of these up in my rafters too! I'll follow along and see how it goes. Mine is the cammo version.

What motor/esc/battery are you planning to use?
Are you going to try retracts or go with the kit provided fixed gear?
Flaps?

My planned power package:
Motor - Turnigy 42-40B 900kv motor
ESC - Turnigy Sentry 60 amp ESC with the switching BEC built in.
Battery - Zippy/Rhino - 4100/4150 4S1P's and/or 3300/4000 5S1P's
I plan to use a 12 X 6E for flying.

My power setup is for SCALE like flying as I don't think a warbird should fly like a pattern ship. No flaps on mine either as I have a very large dry lake bed to fly on although fixed gear is planned the retract option might be used later.

I'll just follow along and watch this thread as you progress.

Thanks,

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47

Hi bmizes

Yes please, if you could check that CG Id be grateful. Thanks. You do not have to hurry, Ive got plenty of time. My plan is to get this one airborne in spring 2009 - the winter is coming in Norway now and I dont feel like flying with frozen fingers

Hi hilbilly

My plan is to use a Cyclone Power 55 KV 960, this engine weights 260g, recommended battery is 4-5s LiPo and I have a 4s1p EVO light 5350 mAh that Id like to try. I have a Turnigy 80 A ESC that may do the job. Im not sure what propeller to use, but I want a propeller that is big enough for this cowling I guess a 12x8 would be ok.
From the local shop I got a pair of mechanical retracts that fits.

Im not a fast builder, but Im going to do a little bit now and then. I allready have 7 flightready planes in my hangar and to be honest I really didnt have to put this one together - but I just couldnt resist

are
Last edited by Sir Barf; Nov 12, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Barf
but I just couldnt resist
I hate when that line comes up Like "I have enough planes. Ah whats one more"
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:16 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47 update

I have now glued in place the battery tray and the blind nuts for the engine mount.Next step is to glue the magnets in place. Im going to use magnets to attach the cowling to the fuselage.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 01:01 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47

Hi
Happy new year.
Just some photos to show some progress. I have glued the magnets to the fuselage and inside the cowling. Its a perfect fit. The magnets seems to provide enough "hold" to the cowling - I have to use some force to peel off the cowling.
Tonight Im going to take a look at the wing and maybe do some further progress. Im advancing sloooooowly

Are
Last edited by Sir Barf; Jan 08, 2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
Joined May 2006
8,113 Posts
subscribed.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jan 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
CMPro P 47

Hi, there has been some progress. Batterybox has been painted, engine in mounted and I have checked the prop clearance - 0,5 cm should be ok.
Are