SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SteveC68, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:00 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,528 Posts
Discussion
CNC wire cutter

Here is a screen shot of the cnc wire cutter that I'm building. It's drawn in Google Sketchup and based on a design by Blueswede from the yahoo cncfoamcutters group. It uses drawer slides and acme threaded rod and is all out of MDF.

I'm slowely building this thing (heavy emphasis on slowly). Really if I had a free weekend I could knock out the MDF on the table saw, it's just getting a free weekend that's tough with 3 sons.

Steve
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Last edited by SteveC68; Nov 14, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:27 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Steve,

Nice work. It looks like it will be stiff enough. I will post something to my blog tonight. I went minimal in design and used 1/2" bar stock on the bearing tracks with linear sleeve bearings. The bearings were expensive and not worth the money but they work well enough. The drive system I used at first was a 1/4-20 threaded rod with my own PE drive nuts and this works fine on the y-axis but the x-axis wore out pretty fast as I had some drag on them I could not get rid up. MarineA4 convinced me to go with a belt drive and I did on the x-axis, this cleared up a lot of slop the drive nuts left me with. and thus a lot of the lost steps I was encountering went away. I still need to convert the y-axis to belt then I think I can get more speed and accuracy from it.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Very interesting project, any chance you could share some links to the Yahoo post you mention? I think this would be a great RCG thread.

Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Very interesting project, any chance you could share some links to the Yahoo post you mention? I think this would be a great RCG thread.

Ron
You will need to subscribe to the yahoo group CNCFoamcutters in order to see the pics of Bluswedes machine, in the photos section.

Steve
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68