SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprc
Jim,

Looks great! Can't wait to see it tomorrow! Decals look really cool. Great job Rob!

I have your batteries so.......I might need some incentive to get there.

dp
OK, OK, you can burn through some of those batteries too. I want to see what this plane can do in more capable hands.
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Looks like the quality took another step forward on this plane. Mine came out of the box perfect. Not a single wrinkle, not a single little dent in the wood.......nothing. My Edge 540 is beautiful.

We just finished our Sukhoi and new SR projects, so I am chomping at the bit to get to the Edge 540. We are hoping the weather will clear out by Wednesday, so hopefully we will have some video by then.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:39 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Hi Doc Austin. I think you are right about the quality. This covering material definately helps and I love the colors. This plane is gorgeous!

I got my maiden and second flight in today. DPRC got a full flight as well. My only other 47" plane to compare to was the 47" 3DHS Katana. This plane is definately much more stable and feels a lot more light and "floaty". It was too windy today to tell much else about the plane. I did Harrier in for a landing during my second flight... with all the wind, it just felt safer. Maybe DP can chime in his thoughts on his flight with this plane. I can't wait for next week to get some more flights in and I hope the wind will be down. From what little I can tell, I think that this plane is a keeper! Another great colaboration effort between Ben and Scott - nice job guys!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:52 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Quick question before tomorrow and I apologize if this has already been asked or in the build video but are spacers required for the Torque 2818-900 motor. If so what size. Thanks
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:27 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa
Quick question before tomorrow and I apologize if this has already been asked or in the build video but are spacers required for the Torque 2818-900 motor. If so what size. Thanks
Steve
Yeah, mine is under construction so I need to know too.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jan 17, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
I first mounted the motor with the spacers, but it seemed that the cowl barely hung on to the fuselage. I removed the spacers, but there was a little too much over hang onto the fuselage. In the end I left the spacers off and put two layers of tape as temporary spacers on the leading edge of the cockpit to give me enough space to remove it. Play it safe and PM Ben.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Also, if you leave off the spacers you might want to replace the kit screws with 3mm X 6mm long screws, so you don't have 4 battery killing spears inside the fuselage. Lastly, I PM'd Ben before the first flight and asked what prop he liked for the Torque 2818-900 motor, and he recommended the APC 13X6.5E.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2006
240 Posts
Maidened my Edge today with the light set up, Torque 900, 3s 2200, 13X6.5 and all I can say is WOW. Ben and Scott have done it again with a GREAT flying airplane.

Was a little tail heavy with the spacers on and battery all the way forward but it still flew great. I might be able to move things around to get it right. It flies so light that a little weight wont hurt it at all.

Thanks 3DHS, Scott, and Rob from ADC hobby store for a GREAT airplane....
andy walling is offline Find More Posts by andy walling
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Congrats. on the maiden Guys

Rob
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Steve
Steve,

I think 1/4" spacers would be perfect. The plane in the build video shows a GR35 which is longer than the 2818.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors
Steve,

I think 1/4" spacers would be perfect. The plane in the build video shows a GR35 which is longer than the 2818.
Thanks Kevin.
Steve
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
55' Edge is too sweet!
Allen, TX
Joined Aug 2005
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220
Hi Doc Austin. I think you are right about the quality. This covering material definately helps and I love the colors. This plane is gorgeous!

I got my maiden and second flight in today. DPRC got a full flight as well. My only other 47" plane to compare to was the 47" 3DHS Katana. This plane is definately much more stable and feels a lot more light and "floaty". It was too windy today to tell much else about the plane. I did Harrier in for a landing during my second flight... with all the wind, it just felt safer. Maybe DP can chime in his thoughts on his flight with this plane. I can't wait for next week to get some more flights in and I hope the wind will be down. From what little I can tell, I think that this plane is a keeper! Another great colaboration effort between Ben and Scott - nice job guys!
I would say that this is the prettiest 3DH plane by far. The ADC Vinyl Crimson Bovine package is top quality and beautiful.

I only flew it once and it was really windy. I did really like the feel, though. This thing is built to harier down on the deck with ease. I did not do it with Jim's, well, because it was Jim's, it was the planes second flight, and it was windy.

We got some video. It's windy, unedited, and rough, so you might have to fight through some of it.

dp
3DH Edge 540 47' (7 min 3 sec)
dprc is offline Find More Posts by dprc
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
DP, nice flying considering the windy conditions. Thanks for posting the video. In know that you stayed up late to do it. BTW you can fly my plane anytime.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Hoping to maiden tomorrow. Had my first case of UPS shipping damage, I've been very fortunate so far, but all is fixed. Going light with the 2818 setup. Now if the weather will cooperate.
Steve
Old Nov 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Hoping to maiden tomorrow. Had my first case of UPS shipping damage, I've been very fortunate so far, but all is fixed. Going light with the 2818 setup. Now if the weather will cooperate.
Steve
Maiden was a success. Wonderful flyer and harriers like no tomorrow. Easier to harrier land than landing it normal. Very cool.
Steve