Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Geek
Doc,

My new favorite was the move at 1:34; a hover to ...umm... was that a snap? mistake? what? Where it looks like you're going to loose it inverted but you just push a little down and fly away. Very nice recovery - or intentional move. Either way, I went back to watch that again.
Oh, it was intentional. I just wasn't expecting it to drop that much. That was the second flight on that plane! That how much confidence I've got in the 47" Edge.

Lately, though, I've really been hamering the little 40", and they are so cheap and easy to put together that I fly them with absolute disdain. I'm just sharpening up for the 3DHS throwdown at Mid florida RC Club, and I don't want to risk the 47." The little one is very, very nearly as good, and in some ways a little better. Like I say, they are cheap and expendible, so that makes them pretty useful.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Not Nuts 4
LA, CA
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
[QUOTE=Doc Austin]Oh, it was intentional. [QUOTE]

Really? BS
rincon_2 is offline Find More Posts by rincon_2
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincon_2

Really?
Really.

Quote:
BS
Maybe you'de better ask Helmet. He was the one in the cockpit.

Helmet sez

"OH, Yeah!"
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:26 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Talk about hangar rash your planes will have runway rash lol...
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:25 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
I was out flying my edge this evening and was having a blast running it on 4s That is until I went into a med speed wall and I heard a pop Landed and found I broke the wing The fiberglass tube that accepts the wing tube broke out and also the second wing rib. I fixed it up the best I could but I guess it's back to 3s. I tell you it has been a very bad week or so. I crashed my Slick then I crashed my heli twice then my wing breaks on the Edge.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Shoot me an email, we'll get you fixed up.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Thanks Ben will do.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:19 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
I was out flying my edge this evening and was having a blast running it on 4s That is until I went into a med speed wall and I heard a pop Landed and found I broke the wing The fiberglass tube that accepts the wing tube broke out and also the second wing rib. I fixed it up the best I could but I guess it's back to 3s. I tell you it has been a very bad week or so. I crashed my Slick then I crashed my heli twice then my wing breaks on the Edge.
Dang...sorry to hear that Chris Your Slick good-2-go yet ? Meet @ PP this sunday morning ?
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Dang...sorry to hear that Chris Your Slick good-2-go yet ? Meet @ PP this sunday morning ?

I just need to get a ball link for my aileron linkage and she is ready to go If the weather is good I will be there.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:49 AM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
460 Posts
Scott or anyone else who wants to chime in:

On the Extra 300 47" you listed five design objectives on this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=61

How many of these carried over to the Edge?

Thanks much
Maverickk is offline Find More Posts by Maverickk
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickk
Scott or anyone else who wants to chime in:

On the Extra 300 47" you listed five design objectives on this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=61

How many of these carried over to the Edge?

Thanks much
All of them, plus we added violent tumbles and even better harrier performance. The Edge is definitely a step up from the SHP in raw performance. I still think the SHP is more approachable as a 3D trainer for new 3D pilots, but it has some limitations in pitch rate compared to the next generation of models like the Velox, Edge, and Slick. Part of that is the airfoiled tail. Overall, I prefer the Edge at this point.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is online now Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
The Edge is definitely a step up from the SHP in raw performance..
It's your best one yet, Scott, and very nearly ready to replace the SHP as my go-to plane. I am opening up tomorrow with the 55" SHP, and once I get warmed up and over the stage fright, I'n going to throw down with the Edge with no regard.

Quote:
All of them, plus we added violent tumbles and even better harrier performance.
Harrier and harrier slides are so easy with the Edge that you wonder why all planes can't do it.

Quote:
I still think the SHP is more approachable as a 3D trainer for new 3D pilots, but it has some limitations in pitch rate compared to the next generation of models like the Velox, Edge, and Slick.
I gotta go with you one this one but I want to go a step further.....I think the Edge is just as stable as the SHP, and even moreso in alpha, but the Edge is so much more capable and agile that it might react too fast for a new guy to keep up with. The SHP does everytyhing a little slower, and that gives the new guy a bit more time to think about what he's doing. The Edge just willingly and blindly goes into whater move you ask from it.

For the experienced pilot, the Edge is a plane that can keep up with him. The SHP then becomes the plane you can push past what you know what you can't get away with, and still get away with it.

Quote:
Overall, I prefer the Edge at this point.
I'm with you. The Edge is my favorite. The Slick is very, very close, but they are so dissimilar that it isn't fair to compare them. Both are incredible. I'm getting better with the Slick, but the Edge is the one I just hang it out with and don't give it it a second thought.

Scott, the Edge is extremely well done. It is simply awesome.

Well done.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Mixing

I have been playing around with mixing today to just to learn. THe 14MZ has a tonn of functionaly that I need to play with before setting up the 103" SC for IMAC.

With my setup on the 47 Edge, a 3% linear rudder to ailron mix seems to be about perfect. I will fine tune this later on.

On the rudder to elevator, I have been trying to zero out the coupling for the full rudder travel up to touching the elavators. What I did was find the persentage needed to do full rudder without coupling. I ended up with 5%, but that was obviously too much for regular knife-edge and high alpha knife-edge since the coupling get exponetially higher towards full throw.

I then added negative exponential until the high alpha knife-edge was fine. I ended up on 65% exponential. This turned out to be more or less perfect. I can now do regular knife-edge, high alpha knife-edge and knife-edge loops without coupling.

I still get a little nose drop on flat turns with little rudder input. They are fine for 1/4 and 1/2 deflection un the rudder.

I have now converted my exponetial curve into a 9 point curve. I will then fine tune the curve until it is perfect for any rudder input on flat turns.

What I found with the Edge is that even if it does have some coupling, once you get a mix in, it flies both flat turns and knife-edge perfectly with the same mix. This is certanly not true for all planes.

Still learning, but I am starting to use more and more of the 14MZ functinality.

Erling
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Last edited by Captain Norway; Mar 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Well I finally got my Edge in the air this morning umm... WOW. I didn't think it was possible for an airplane to have this much control authority! I can't imagine something like the Velox on 4S now... I had the controls set to bevel-to-bevel throw with low rates at 60% of that, and after the first flight I brought low rates down to 50% with a healthy amount of expo-now it feels like what I'm used to On the second flight I put it into an inverted flat spin with about 1/3 power, and it was nearly climbing, on low rate throws! Well you guys know this but it really took me by surprise

Also I have the apc 13x6.5 on the 870kv Omega (on 3S) right now, and I currently see no need to use the 14x7, though I might try it to see what it's like to fly the Space Shuttle

Thanks guys for an awesomely fantastic flying machine!!
myplanesfearme is offline Find More Posts by myplanesfearme
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:34 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
Another glass of Kool-Aid.....Ahhhhhhhhh.......
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256