Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
Do you fly with your thumbs or pinch? I fly with my thumbs, but I can see how the pinch method would really help on doing rolling harriers......but I just can't seem to make a transition to the pinch method. I've tried on a sim and on my epp yak....and it usually ends up with me over controlling the plane and it just looking ugly.
I had a brief stint of flying glow when I was 11 years old. I had this older guy who taught me the basics with the buddy box, and he drilled the pinch method into my head.

But....when I got back into flying last year, I started out pinching, but have now developed my own hybrid approach. I pinch the right stick, and thumb the left stick...

hey, it works for me!
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
I'm thinking pinching the left stick would make it easier to make minor throttle corrections while still working the rudder back and forth in the roller. I really think I'm gonna start practicing the pinch method more. Even though I think it's uncomfortable, I think if I can get it down I will be more precise on the sticks.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:57 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I'm thinking pinching the left stick would make it easier to make minor throttle corrections while still working the rudder back and forth in the roller. I really think I'm gonna start practicing the pinch method more. Even though I think it's uncomfortable, I think if I can get it down I will be more precise on the sticks.
every discussion I've seen about this pretty much ends up with the fact that there are pro level fliers using both methods to great success...

but I say if it makes you feel better, go for it! and if it gets you flying more, definitely go for it!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:04 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Yeah.....I know how the discussions go. I guess I'm just thinking out loud......well not out loud.....thinking in print.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I can't recall the source, but I remember reading that the difference was in the pinch method made it easier to flip the switches while flying. I don't usually flip switches while flying or not so I can't say if it is or not.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Picked up one of these today.
Judging from this thread it was a good choice.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:05 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Its the best 47" plane ben makes, hands down. fly it on 3 cell, with a 13x6.5 or 14x7.
It will do slow rollers like the 87" shp will do, not as slow as the 103".
Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:10 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,830 Posts
I fly mine on 3S 2250 25C Rhinos, fly for six minutes, and put back 1750mAH.....and I love this plane!!! Did my very first rolling circle with it about a week back...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:00 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
This is the result of today's outing. This is what happens when a hi speed low pass is attempted on high rates. Crunched up real good. Well...we'll see how long it takes to get it replaced. Funds are not great right now.

Right when I was really starting to fly it good. Had it dialed in!

All the equipment survived except my 3S 2200 Zippy Lipo. Has a nice size dent in it now. If any one has an Edge that they want to sell let me know...I don't have a lot of money but I can try and scrape up some more for one of these guys.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:11 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
sorry to see that dude!

I'm cleaning out my basement and it forced me to look at my red one that is in the same if not worse condition....had it hidden in the back so as to avoid depression...

save your money. it's a great airframe, worth having one in your hangar.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:13 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Yeah, a real shame...but even though you can't help but feel a little up set, you have to try not to let it worry you. Its not worth getting upset about or mad about...and infact its an inherit part of the hobby and ESPECIALLY the way I fly...as some of my flying buddies can attest too. I don't have fun if I'm not almost crashing. Wish I had a few more bucks though!
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:26 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
yeah, it is a fact of the hobby...but you can try to minimize by double checking your setup for mechanical problems, and then trying to fly within your abilities. Of course that's hard when you're trying to get better, like me.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:15 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
This is the result of today's outing. This is what happens when a hi speed low pass is attempted on high rates. Crunched up real good. Well...we'll see how long it takes to get it replaced. Funds are not great right now.

Right when I was really starting to fly it good. Had it dialed in!

All the equipment survived except my 3S 2200 Zippy Lipo. Has a nice size dent in it now. If any one has an Edge that they want to sell let me know...I don't have a lot of money but I can try and scrape up some more for one of these guys.
All the equipment survived? Get it back in the air!

This one went in and about 30 minutes later was flying again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1611

You did save the Ben-in-a-box repair kit that came with the Edge, right?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:29 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
yeah, hard to tell from the picture but that could be a popsicle stick and ca job...
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:43 PM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
3DHS rocks

Ben is a hell of a guy.

He knocks out a repair job that would take me months of procrastinating. And its not even his plane.

Why would we buy anywhere else?

Over the last couple of years, I have seen service that has been unparalleled to any other I have ever seen in any company in any industry.

That takes a relentless form of passion to come to that level.
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades