HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:01 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
I'm drawing 34 amps max at WOT with a fresh battery...its only going down from that point, and thats with a 13x8. Besides, I fly the plane around at 65% throttle (which is only around 27 amps) and only go beyond that when I'm really trying to throw it around. The 35-42D is a good motor for the plane and has lots of power so WOT flying isn't really necessary.

I tightened up the pull pull cables before I went out this morning, the plane flew much better. It is extremely pitch sensitive though...and it seems that it is difficult to trim out....either I have too much up or not enough. Very hard to find the sweet spot to trim out. Its interesting because when I'm flying, the elevator is almost too authoritative for 'normal' flight, but when I went to go into 3D mode, the elevator isn't there when I need it (like going from HA flight then pulling into a hover...I really have to be on the elevator.)

It flies good, but it doesn't fly great. I still much prefer my Cermark Edge 50" to the 3DHS plane, but I still am getting used to it. I'm hoping that I can dial it in and make it feel the way I want, but a plane is a plane and there isn't too much I can change.

At least 3DHS planes have a high re-sale value...
Joe, maybe we can hook up at the Bowl in the next week or two and I can take a look at it. Something is not right with your setup because what you are describing is not characteristic of 3DHS planes. You saw how my 51" Slick flies, and the Edge flies just as stable and awesome as the Slick.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
The weather hasn't been good for me to fly my Edge. Been a week since I took it out. It's been threatening to rain or starting to sprinkle. Tonight, I managed to squeeze in one flight between sprinkles. It is so easy to fly and so smooth. I have not even put it in high rates yet. Anything I try it does smooth and easy in low rates. That includes hovering. Since I increased the Expo my landings are smooth as silk.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Wedge this is what you need..

NACHOSCHEESE GRAPHICS!!!!!!

www.nachoscheese.net
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedgrim View Post
Wedge this is what you need..

NACHOSCHEESE GRAPHICS!!!!!!

www.nachoscheese.net
On it my man! I have procured the same stylish pattern
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
man I flew the snot out of my Edge this morning... it's such a well-mannered 3der. always does what I want, or at least what I tell it to do...

I'm working on vertical to single waterfall into inverted harrier. Made some progress this morning .
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I quick took the opportunity to go out to the field tonight. Got in a couple flights and watch 3 flights of Blake practicing for IMAC competition. I think he is in Sportsmen. Tomorrow I have an eye doctor appointment so no flying. After not flying during a rainy period I was worried I would feel rusty, but after two evenings flying I now feel like I have progressed in getting the feel for the Edge. Maybe time to go to High Rates. I feel very comfortable with the Edge.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Well I stripped the prop adapter for my Omega 130g....so in the interim, should I run a Torque 2818-900 or a Torque 2814-820? I'm leaning towards the 2819-900 with a 13x6.5e.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:18 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
Well I stripped the prop adapter for my Omega 130g....so in the interim, should I run a Torque 2818-900 or a Torque 2814-820? I'm leaning towards the 2819-900 with a 13x6.5e.
SH,

It flies beautifully on the 900 and 13x6.5.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Thanks....that's the one I went with. Gonna give a try tomorrow afternoon.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Well, something's wrong...but normally elevator sensitivity problems are servo/radio/linkage/CG issues. Airframes are airframes...they don't really have poor trimming or good trimming as a characteristic. But, like I always tell people, when was the last time you ever heard a dissatisfied pilot at the field say "wow, I really hate this linkage."
Yeah, that's a possibility. It's hard for me to diagnose a problem, especially like that...I haven't really flown long enough to tell the difference between a bad servo or linkage specifically. However I am using an HS-65 with all the standard hardware for the linkage setup and am running it with my DX6i...I like all those components, so I'm not sure where the breakdown would be. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
another thing to consider in your analysis of the planes flying characteristics..... after looking at these numbers you are pretty under powered. I fly most the 47 planes on 3s @ 40amps+/- and 440 watts +/- and that seems about perfect for me, and I tend to like things a little low on the power side. 340 watts is only giving you 129 watts/lb. on a WOT burst. I bet it suffers in vertical performance, has very little punch out power, and you have to be up around 75-80% to hover.....all things that would make me pretty uncomfortable with a plane.
I'm still messing with props a bit, but I the plane hovered really well right at around 50-60% throttle. The vertical pull out didn't floor me but I wasn't disappointed. I was trying to keep the plane light and still have some good power. But I don't think the plane is so underpowered that its flying poorly...if that is what your getting at. I cruised around at 40% in the size of a soccer field without a problem...I was AMAZED at that. It handled great at low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
also, isn't it generally a good idea to use the same servos for ailerons, and not two different brands or models?
Yes, and mixing n matching is something I've never down before, but it was late at night and my last 65 went dead on my in the 12th hour. I am changing all the servos out this evening in order to get it ready to fly tomorrow morning. The aileron response and trim seemed just peachy to me though. Rolls were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomer View Post
Joe, maybe we can hook up at the Bowl in the next week or two and I can take a look at it. Something is not right with your setup because what you are describing is not characteristic of 3DHS planes. You saw how my 51" Slick flies, and the Edge flies just as stable and awesome as the Slick.
Okay, just shoot me an email. I'd love to hook up with you guys and fly. Maybe you can clue me in on something I'm missing. Like I said in one of my earlier posts...I'm not claiming its a bad plane, at all...in fact I know its a great plane...but I'm simply having a little trouble with it and am not sure where I'm going wrong. Some people certainly make it feel like I'm jumping into a tank of sharks just because I haven't had a stellar response...YET...I appreciate your help Kevin. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
I had a Cermark 260 which disintigrated in mid-air. Never had a 3DHS plane do that.....
I'm sorry that your plane disintegrated.

I've done so many hard KE spins that I'm surprised its still in one piece. Bad luck of the draw I suppose. Sorry to hear that.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Last edited by finchkid24; Jul 22, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I was irritated that half the time it was raining and I couldn't fly the Edge. Now the AMA field is closed because of flooding. Guess I didn't know when I was lucky. At least I was able to fly half the time before. At least I can fly my foamies at the park. Don't want to get too rusty on the sticks.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I use a Torque 2814-820 with a 14x7 with 2650 20C or 2200 25C 3S Turnigy batteries. This is a perfect combination IMO. I LOVE the 14x7 prop, but I do fly at 6000'.

BTW, this is my absolute favorite, fly anywhere, 3S 3D plane hands down.
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:31 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
The 2814 is not bad....but after trying the 2814, the 2818, and the Omega 130g, I've decided I like the 130g the best. I got my replacement prop adapter in the mail today and put the 130g back in.

Quote:
BTW, this is my absolute favorite, fly anywhere, 3S 3D plane hands down.
I totally agree.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:46 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
after a raucous harrier landing that ended up inverted last week, I replaced the elevator servo and put my Edge back in the air today.

it was one of those days where the NOAA.gov says 6-10mph wind, but you come to the field to find out they really meant 6+10=16mph wind. and gusty.

not to be deterred, I put four batteries through the Edge, which seems to be flying better than ever. I had set up my ailerons for super low precision rates and full 3d rates. since I've been trying to learn rollers with the super low rates it just hasn't been happening. today I tried them on high rates and managed a few rolling circles (sloppy!) and strange rolling half loops.

definitely need a lot of work in this department, but I am starting to see how it's done. one big mistake that I notice is that my throttle often creeps higher and higher. gotta get that under control
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Do you fly with your thumbs or pinch? I fly with my thumbs, but I can see how the pinch method would really help on doing rolling harriers......but I just can't seem to make a transition to the pinch method. I've tried on a sim and on my epp yak....and it usually ends up with me over controlling the plane and it just looking ugly.