Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Man the people on RCG and the Kool-Aid crowd just rock. Two folks have offered the longer arms to me so I can fly sooner. Sure is a great group of people around here.

Those little fashion models keep me very busy and the little on can already fly her own Air Hogs. I just need to get off my lazy butt and get her another one. She broke the horizontal stab in half with her hands. I guess they can be too young to start! LOL Thanks for the compliment, they look more like their Mom and that is a very good thing.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:38 PM
Big Extra
USA, CA, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2003
1,212 Posts
Hi All,

I have a CG question. I maidened My 47" Edge today. It came out really tail heavy and I am trying to figure out what to do without adding too much weight. Here is where I ended up after the first couple of flights.

Torque 2818/900
Castle 45 ESC and BEC mounted in the nose
HS65 MG elevator servo
1.5 oz lead on the front of the motor box
7.0 oz 3S pack as far forward as it will go

Still tail heavy. Without the lead it was almost impossible to fly. I hate to add more weight to the motor box but I guess it's the only way to go.
rino is offline Find More Posts by rino
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:49 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Are you checking the CG with the roll-inverted test? I ask b/c ours are gentle and easy to fly on those components without any lead weights.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:41 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
rino,

Do you have any expo on aileron, elevator & rudder?

Mine has a slightly heavier motor, similar ESC, lighter battery, 4 MG servos, etc.
No added weight and it flies great. I tune mine by flying straight & level upright then roll inverted and compare.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:19 AM
Big Extra
USA, CA, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2003
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Are you checking the CG with the roll-inverted test? I ask b/c ours are gentle and easy to fly on those components without any lead weights.

On my first flight I rolled inverted and it was tail heavy. After adding 1.5 oz I just took it around for a short flight and didn't roll inverted.

I was just fiddling around and moved the ESC and BEC to the max forward position and was able to get a 3.5" CG with only 1 oz on the nose.

I started with 45 degrees of expo on the elevator with 13 degrees of throw on low rates for my first flight. High rates are maxed but I haven't tried them yet.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:55 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino
I started with 45 degrees of expo on the elevator with 13 degrees of throw on low rates for my first flight.
Do you mean 45% expo?
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Dec 27, 2008, 04:00 AM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2006
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino
On my first flight I rolled inverted and it was tail heavy. After adding 1.5 oz I just took it around for a short flight and didn't roll inverted.

I was just fiddling around and moved the ESC and BEC to the max forward position and was able to get a 3.5" CG with only 1 oz on the nose.

I started with 45 degrees of expo on the elevator with 13 degrees of throw on low rates for my first flight. High rates are maxed but I haven't tried them yet.
Did you use the nylon spacers between the motor mount and the fire wall?

Mine was tail heavy also, had to add 1 oz. and now it's perfect with battery all the way forward.
andy walling is offline Find More Posts by andy walling
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:24 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Blake, nice build. I think you are really going to like this plane. DP finshed his green Edge, and we a hope to fly it Sunday. You should come out to Rowlett. Jim
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:21 AM
Zhuhai,China
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
:d :d
5icricri is offline Find More Posts by 5icricri
Last edited by 5icricri; Dec 28, 2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:35 AM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2006
240 Posts
Very nice flying...
andy walling is offline Find More Posts by andy walling
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Thanks Jim but I don't have anything flyable at the moment. The Edge needs some tweaking and the S/R has a bum prop adapter thanks to a bonehead taxi move. Good news is I don't work until Friday and the weather looks nice this week. I will be burning some nitro as well as electrons during the day this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220
Blake, nice build. I think you are really going to like this plane. DP finshed his green Edge, and we a hope to fly it Sunday. You should come out to Rowlett. Jim
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
Thanks to Ken Elder for getting my computer working well enough for me to edit all forms of video formats. I've spent the last gew days going over footage I wasn't able to post, and here is one of my favorites............

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
Big Extra
USA, CA, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2003
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy walling
Did you use the nylon spacers between the motor mount and the fire wall?

Mine was tail heavy also, had to add 1 oz. and now it's perfect with battery all the way forward.
Yep. Used the spacers.

I flew my Edge for the second time today and when rolled inverted I got a slight nose drop which is fine. The CG is right on at 3.5". I now have 1 oz on the nose.

What has me a little mystified is that it balloons when I land like it is tail heavy.

Weird. I only got one flight in becuase my gear broke. I must have caught a rock in the road or something. The gear snapped right above the axle. Thankfully, it only cost me a prop. There was no damage to the airframe at all
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:04 AM
WingNut
georgia
Joined Mar 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Thanks to Ken Elder for getting my computer working well enough for me to edit all forms of video formats. I've spent the last gew days going over footage I wasn't able to post, and here is one of my favorites............

Doc

What power setup were you using? What change did you make for the 2nd flight.
timbr is offline Find More Posts by timbr
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
I could have swore Ben said you didn't need spacers with the torque 2818 to balance the plane but now I can't find that comment.