SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:06 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Doc - Take a look at the second video, the indoor shots are on Reaper Gr-35, same size/weight as Torque 2814-820, and some bulky 3S 2200 20C packs...harriers just fine.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:07 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Man, it sure looks good. If that was 3s, I'll give it a try. Thunder Power is coming out with some 3s 2250 Pro lites, so I could try those.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:09 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Are you talking to me or Austin? I'm not saying that it won't harrier fine. I know it does.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
Are you talking to me or Austin? I'm not saying that it won't harrier fine. I know it does.
Yeah, but you could harrier a 747.

I remember watching your harrier really close when you were here. I learned a lot from it and I'm just now putting it into play. I hope we get a chance to fly together again soon sxo I can learn some more.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I dunno, you're all named Doc. Confusing.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:14 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
What?

Wait until Doctor Who shows up and then it will get confusing.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:15 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I'm confused too .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:18 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Wooooooo-hoooooooo!

I'm the leading poster on this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:24 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
If harrier and hover is your priority, you really want to keep the plane as light as possible (3S 2818/900). There's plenty of power, and it makes doing high alpha stuff easier.
OK, I will try it on 3s first. I haven't tried 3s since I started working on alpha stuff. I just wanted to go fast, but now I am dedicated to getting the 3D part down. I will just have to be careful not to get so deep into trouble and rely on the power to save me. It's all just an adjustment, but I'm learning to adapt to everything from tail heavy airplanes to massive expo. In the last month, I pretty much had to throw out everything I thought I knew and start over. Pretty humbling, but now we are seeing some progress.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVtRJEhgrY
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
OK, I will try it on 3s first. I haven't tried 3s since I started working on alpha stuff. I just wanted to go fast, but now I am dedicated to getting the 3D part down. I will just have to be careful not to get so deep into trouble and rely on the power to save me. It's all just an adjustment, but I'm learning to adapt to everything from tail heavy airplanes to massive expo. In the last month, I pretty much had to throw out everything I thought I knew and start over. Pretty humbling, but now we are seeing some progress.
Outstanding! The Edge will be a great platform for harrier work (as is the 51 Slick!) I think focusing on controlled 3D will pay off big time. You've already got really fast thumbs (which is hard to teach) so with a focus on precise control, I think you'll really start to appreciate the finer points of 3D flight. I look forward to your videos!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,998 Posts
Some different Doc's . If they only had episodes with rc planes .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdUsgYA_D4
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but you could harrier a 747..
I'm pretty sure I could. Sorta been there, but only at 120K pounds, not 700K.

Quote:
I remember watching your harrier really close when you were here. I learned a lot from it and I'm just now putting it into play. I hope we get a chance to fly together again soon sxo I can learn some more.
SEFF 2009. I plan on being there as well. Should be a fantastic time.

Scott
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Outstanding! The Edge will be a great platform for harrier work (as is the 51 Slick!)
Yeah, but I like the Slick so much I'm not willing to risk it. I was harriering it in the grass last time I flew it, so it's the easier harriering plane I've tried yet. I think it's even better than the SHP. I'm going to put it away until I really have my harriers controled and stable, and then I might be able to get the most out of the AJ.

I don't see as well as I'de like, so I have to fly in tight and close. In harrier work this puts the plane at risk, especially when you are just learning. Nice thing about super low harriers, though, if it falls out just get the wings level and land it.

Quote:
I think focusing on controlled 3D will pay off big time.
It already has. My hover is now much more controllable, but I can't hold it forever like you guys can. I'm also loving the Ido moves into sinling inverted elevators and such. It feels just about the same as a harrier except the plane is falling.

I just had to feel it so I could understand it, but now that I have I'm starting to get it. I sort of compare it to the way a race car feels when you slide it on purpose. It's sort of loose feeling, but you can still reel it in.

Quote:
You've already got really fast thumbs (which is hard to teach) so with a focus on precise control, I think you'll really start to appreciate the finer points of 3D flight.
I've been kind of wild this last year picking up 3D. I always sport flew as hard and fast and low as I could, so when I combined it with 3D, well......you've seen it. It's hair on fire style 3D.

My roots are in pattern and racing, so it's hard to slow it way down and keep it there. I just didn't have any discipline, but now that I've got a goal and know how to get it, I'm not gonna rest until I get it.

Quote:
I look forward to your videos!
I added the newest videos to the link I sent you earlier. I'm embarrassed to compare them to yours or Ben's, but you can see right away how much the harrier work has helped me, and I've only been concentrating on it for a few weeks. Now the videos are good enough for the the article, which is sort of what motivated me. Hard to write a 3D article if you can't 3D, right? So I had to learn fast, and the harrier was the key.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
So I had to learn fast, and the harrier was the key.
The harrier is the key to 3D. Period. I think you're on track.

Scott