Thanks Ben
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Awesomeness!!!!

OMG, this plane is shear awesomeness!!! I love it. We got released from work early today, and l just happened to have my 47" Edge in the truck of my small car. Headed to a school field near my house and flew three battery packs through the Edge. The wind was up a little for my 1st flight, but died during my last flight. I was flying low and slow Harriers, and then punched the throttle into a straight climb to finish with a blender! I've never felt so much confidence with a plane so fast! The finishing, inverted flat spin of my blender was so violent that it blew off one of my wheel pants (obviously needed to tighten that wheel axel a little more - I think I'll also add a little hot glue). Landed the plane, found the pant, and took off again. By the end of my third pack I felt so confident and pleased, that I smiled so hard that it stuck! Overflowing with happiness, I had to text my fly buddy, DP to tell him how much I loved this plane. That wasn't enough so I called Ben at his shop and lavished endless praise on this plane! Ben took it well. FYI, this is the first time that I've ever called a vendor out-of-the blue to tell him how much I loved his product! He told me that he had been flying the plane for a year and could only talk to Scott about it. It is amazing that they didn't explode with this secret!

This is easily the best 47" plane that I've ever flow, and probably the best out there. I loved my PA Addiction for its easy flying. The Edge is almost that stupid easy to fly, but it is sooooo much more capable. Capable of both high and low energy maneuvers. It is also soooo stable and PREDICTABLE that it instills supreme confidence in me. FYI, I'm typically an overly cautious pilot. I was horsing the plane around so much today and so low that I smacked the ground with the landing gear with an estimated 1/3 Doc Austin ground smack force (I think the proper unit acronym is "DAGS"), but the plane didn't complain a bit. I am so glad that I ordered a 40" version, because the way I'm going now I may need to have a back up ready at any time. I don't want to be without an Edge for any length of time.

Scott, Ben I don't know how you are ever going to top this plane...just doesn't seem possible!
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Last edited by fatcat220; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
New Castle. IN
Joined Mar 2008
69 Posts
well that just makes me feel better I have been looking at all the 47 planes for awhile now and I just pushed the button on the 3dhs combo for the green one with the reaper 35 and every thing. what do you gut think of that combo running 3s1p-2200mah outrage packs I have 6 of them for my copper?
orvl_147 is offline Find More Posts by orvl_147
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:58 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Doc Austin,

Nice maiden video! Love the plane!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220
I was horsing the plane around so much today and so low that I smacked the ground with the landing gear with an estimated 1/3 Doc Austin ground smack force (I think the proper unit acronym is "DAGS...
Well, of all the things to be famous for..............

Glad you are loving your edge. I'm really having a blast with mine. You can see yesterday's new videos at my blog.

http://docaustinsfreakshow.blogspot....ith-video.html

I'm becoming more and more comfortable dragging the edge around dog slow. My end-of-flight voltage is usually 15.0 to 15.15 for six minutes, but the edge is so floaty and harriers so well with so little power that today I was averaging 15.5 or so. I may try increasing my flight time to 7 minutes.

Oh, yeah, got a 40" Edge coming too.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:56 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvl_147
well that just makes me feel better I have been looking at all the 47 planes for awhile now and I just pushed the button on the 3dhs combo for the green one with the reaper 35 and every thing. what do you gut think of that combo running 3s1p-2200mah outrage packs I have 6 of them for my copper?
Don't know about the Reaper 35 (I fly the Torque 2818 and love it - lots of punch out), but I do use 3S1P 2200mah, 25-35C batteries and get 8 minutes of flight time. Now I fly on half or low throttle most of the time, but that may be changing with each additional flight of the Edge .
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:45 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Well, of all the things to be famous for..............
Hope you don't mind, but when I bounced off the ground with my Edge, I thought of you!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Scott, Ben I don't know how you are ever going to top this plane...just doesn't seem possible!
So I guess you like it. That's good!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:50 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
So I guess you like it. That's good!

Scott
Hi Scott,

I like it so much that I'm sneaking off in the morning to fly for a couple of hours. Ya, it is easily my favorite plane! I can't wait to see what you two are cooking up next. How long were you guys working on the Edges?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:05 PM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvl_147
That's how I run mine. With a 14x7 prop it's a blast. The GR35 makes more power than the 2818 so watch your batteries for the few flights. My packs take 1500 back after 6 minutes.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:39 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
So I guess you like it.
Indubitably.

I find myself doing such crazy things so low to the ground with this plane. It doesn't seem like am extending either the plane or myself, but when I watch the video it's pretty scarey. I think you may have done the impossible and made a plane that is easier to fly, and fly harder, than the SHP.

The Edge is probably the easiest plane I have ever flown to get insane with, If you check our videos, I was so comfortable with the Edge that I just checked the trim, and then got right on the deck with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPecAPSVTfM

The SHP has been the unquestioned go-to 3D plane for so mny of us that it is a little hard to believe that there might be something just a little better for all around knocking around. The Edge is just so friendly to fly.

Flying the Edge in a nose high harrier is so easy and fun that it's about all I want to do. This plane, even with a heavy 4s pack, is so light and floaty and forgiving that I can easilly keep it in or very near an alpha nearly the entire flight. The Edge just loves to fly around with the nose way up there. It's going to be hard to go back to other planes that don't do this as well.

I like the 47" so much that I have a 40" coming. Initially I was just going to wait for the (hopefully) 40" SHP, but at nearly the same price as a Mini Pulse there was no way I was going to be without one of these to take to the park.

I can't imagine what some guys must be thinking when they spend the same money on something less. We will probably set a 3DHS Mini Edge up for sport and let everyone at the park fly it, just for grins, but make sure you get yours now. Once the park segment discovers this plane you may not be able to get one until the next shipment. Fredricksburg could implode from all the outrushing Edges creating a low pressure area behind them.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Nov 27, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Hi Doc,
Youíre almost gushing! The Edge does that to you and me. I like the video, especially the landing. I had a couple of those landings myself today. It makes me feel better to know that Iím not alone. Also thanks for the cautionary tip about getting the battery unplugged. After my couple of rough harrier landings, I also checked out my engine mount, landing gear and interior structure for any breaks or cracks. So far everything was solid. Although Iíll likely add some Gorilla glue on the landing gear plate for insurance purposes.

I too fly in a Harrier position almost constantly on the Edge. In low alpha the plane is rock steady. In higher alpha I was inducing some wing rock, so I played with circling the plane and kept on increasing opposite aileron until the plane was flat as a plate and incredibly steady! These were high nose, tight circling Harriers with absolutely no wing rock! Thatís another thing I love about this plane is that it is an amazing 3D teaching platform. I can see that my 3D skills are going to improve a lot with this plane. With its toughness and stability, it invites me to keep pushing me to try new things, and it gives me plenty of time to try to dial in whatever Iím working on. Iíve already done more knife edge spins and blenders than on any other plane. I also did a few high speed tumbles today. I went to 3D school today and loved it! No sweaty palms during any of my flights. Too nice!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Hi Scott,

I like it so much that I'm sneaking off in the morning to fly for a couple of hours. Ya, it is easily my favorite plane! I can't wait to see what you two are cooking up next. How long were you guys working on the Edges?
Just less than a year. Couple of wing and tail moves, canopy and paint line changes, firewall length, and landing gear plate. This one took a little longer because we had three sizes going at once. I think they turned out great, and it's nice to hear that others agree.

Scott
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
Hi Scott,
Of the 47" SHP, 47" Edge and the 40" Edge, which one would be easier to fly and learn 3D for a relativel new 3D flyer?
thanks
mike
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp
Hi Scott,
Of the 47" SHP, 47" Edge and the 40" Edge, which one would be easier to fly and learn 3D for a relativel new 3D flyer?
thanks
mike
Probably the 47" Edge on 3S, followed by the 47" SHP on 3S.

Scott