SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,154 Posts
Here's mine. 2818/900, AirBoss 45 on the side of the motor box, no spacers. HS-5065 in the tail, Rx behind the wing tube. The seatbelt is velcroed to the underside of the battery tray - that makes pulling out the battery a lot easier.

For my configuration the extra 70g in front of the motor box (ie a 175g motor instead of the /900) should be balanced out by app. 25 g in the tail. Assuming a 4s battery all the way back to the wing tube, ESC as far back as the wires allow, etc. this could be reduced to something 10g - ie a fancy tailwheel and/or a heavier elevator servo

Using a 175g motor in Edge still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it looks like it can be done with the servos in stock positions.

(Me, I'd just buy a Su-26 and use that 4s setup there)
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
a 170 motor is more the size for a 51" Slick, or 49" Sukhoi IMHO.

The Omega 103 is a good affordable alternative.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
I have the 103g Omega, with a Hacker55amp hanging off the front of the motor box. The pack(2250propower) is so far under the cowl its hard to get a strap on it.
I have found that, by adding or removing engine spacers, or moving the ESC and receiver you can usually get the CG were it should be. I know there are a few guys running the 130g and I don't think any of them moved the rudder servo to the back.
I don't like setting up pull, pull rudders, but I prefer the way a plane feels with less weight in the tail.
Same here Tim . I have a 2500 pack pretty far forward the seat belt just usually slides off . So Ive come to terms with flying it tail heavy until I can get a 130g for it .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:09 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Well I just piled my edge in about an hour ago courtesy of my dumb thumbs...thank you very much! So now I got some electronics that need a new home, and would work perfectly in one of these planes!

I guess I need to get to ordering!
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:19 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk
Well I just piled my edge in about an hour ago courtesy of my dumb thumbs...thank you very much! So now I got some electronics that need a new home, and would work perfectly in one of these planes!

Sorry about the Edge, that is a real bummer man, but we would like to see picks You know, its like driving by an accident

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:27 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Nice Jay ! So were you trying to torque roll a foot off the ground

Hypersprint
No Matter how hard you cuss the other drivers out and hard you you try not to look you just got to take a peak at the scene .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:30 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint
Sorry about the Edge, that is a real bummer man, but we would like to see picks You know, its like driving by an accident

Rob
Haha......they call that "Rubber Necking" I think. It's still in the back of the car right now. Both wings are fine, but the fuse pretty much cracked in half right behind the canopy. Got a little too low on a knife-edge pass and cartwheeled it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:34 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
Nice Jay ! So were you trying to torque roll a foot off the ground

Hypersprint
No Matter how hard you cuss the other drivers out and hard you you try not to look you just got to take a peak at the scene .
Being in the fire department, I deal with that quite a bit. I got stuck behind a whole slew of rubber neckers on the way to a house fire the other day! I eventually had to pull off and go rooten through some field in my little mazdaspeed3.......I'm still pulling twigs and brush from under my car.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:49 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009
thanks Doc!
well I'll see how it works out. I will be running a 4s pack to get the watts up with voltage not amps. That was is much more efficient and will allow for a smaller prop then 14*7 and still have lots of power.
rickc
Funny. I think I'm going the other way. The 47" is perfect with 2818 and 4s on an 11/5.5, but I've been experimenting with less power and bigger props on my 55" planes. My 3D has gotten better bacause of this, and I'm going to try some 2250 Pro Powers and an APC 13/6.5 on my 47" Edges.

I love my 47" Edges just the way the are, but if I can make them better I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work I bought those batteries for my 42" Slick anyway, so it won't cost me anything more than the price of the prop.

I went from 5s 3850 and 15/7 to 4s 3300 and 16/8, and the plane is much, much more manageable. Of course, it was so stupidly overpowered on 5s that it was really difficult to manage the hrottle. With less power and more prop the 55" Edge was transformed. I like it much better, and I think I fly it better this way too.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:10 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I agree Doc, Lighter packs, smaller motors, and larger props are what 3D is all about

I love my SR on 3cell(30c) packs, with a Omega 130g,and 14x7E.
My 47"Edge hovers perfect, and has tons of pullout power. With the 103g Omega, 3cell (30c)2250packs and 13x6.5

Plus!The lighter the plane, the more abuse it can Handel.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:10 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk

Well I got my Edge all patched up this morning. The damage looked worse at the field, but when I got to working on it, it really wasn't that bad. I figure I just strengthened all the week spots. I took it out this afternoon and cut a rug with it. I actually think it flew better than it did before.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:04 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Yay! got my servo's this morning and finished up my Red Edge this afternoon. Maiden flight tomorrow morning.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:31 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Congrats Matt

Have Fun tomorrow

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:50 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
got about 15 flight through her today, very nice flying plane. Even in about 15-20 mph wind this afternoon I didn't have any problems. Can't wait till my vinyl kit gets here to make it look even sweeeeter.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
I don't fly my 47" Edges much because those are my best planes. I'm sort of saving them....for what I couldn't tell you. I think I like having my best in reserve, but that's sort of silly because I can get a new one in two days..

Of everything I've ever flown, the 47" Edge is the one I am the most fearless with and have the most confidence in...even moreso than the SR. Today I decided that saving them was silly and that I was going to start flying them again.

Of course, mother nature interviened after half a flight and torrential rains set in. I'm sitting in front of the window now looking out and the street and sidewalk is completely flooded, and the rain is coming down as hard as ever. No chance of going back out before dark, but I'm detirmined to put some more time on these planes this week.

I did, however, get to burn about half a pack. I've learned so much lately flying so many different planes that the Edge is now better than ever.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin