HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:51 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Pulled the trigger Now I have to think of what to say when the wife sees the new plane arrive. She took the slick well but another plane this quick I am gonna get it
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:57 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
Pulled the trigger Now I have to think of what to say when the wife sees the new plane arrive. She took the slick well but another plane this quick I am gonna get it

Buy her flowers.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:09 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
We flew the Edge today and it was really, really nice. It harriers almost too easy. We've got some smokin', on the deck video in the can, but we have to get it into a format my computer can handle before I edit it down. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow......but as soon as I can get it.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:23 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
By the way, as of my 40" Edge order today, I'm completely converted over to 3DHS planes. I now own a 55" Extra SHP (1st the V1 and now flying the V2) and the recent owner of the 47" Edge (Bovine red!). The 47" Edge is definately my favorite, with the SHP a very close second. It will be interesting to see where the 40" fits. The 40" Edge will likely be permanently hangered in my car's trunk. Pass the Kool-Aid!
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Last edited by fatcat220; Nov 24, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
We flew the Edge today and it was really, really nice. It harriers almost too easy. We've got some smokin', on the deck video in the can, but we have to get it into a format my computer can handle before I edit it down. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow......but as soon as I can get it.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:01 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Cant wait to see it! Does it harrier anywhere near as easy as the slick?
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
Cant wait to see it! Does it harrier anywhere near as easy as the slick?
Hard to say because I like the Slick so much really hold bajk with it, but after half a flight with the Extra I was harriering it on about a 45 degrre angle with the tail in the grass. The Extra is just sick in a harrier. It's almost too easy.

The Extra seems a little easier to fly in a straight line with the nose stuck way up there, but the Slick has the edge in really tight, nose high turns. Both are good at either of those things, but it is hard to say one harriers better than the other. It's really pretty close.

Those who like a light and floaty feel in a harrier will probably like the way the Edge does a harrier. I was doing really nice harrier landings, almost at a complete stop. The Edge really floats, even on 4s.

I'll do my best to get the video posted tomorrow, but I am at the mercy of my camera guy's schedule. I've watched the video a couple of times and the plane makes me look almost s good as the SR does. Once I get some time on the Edge, I'm sure it will bnring the best out of me like the SR does now.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:26 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Hard to say because I like the Slick so much really hold bajk with it, but after half a flight with the Extra I was harriering it on about a 45 degrre angle with the tail in the grass. The Extra is just sick in a harrier. It's almost too easy.

The Extra seems a little easier to fly in a straight line with the nose stuck way up there, but the Slick has the edge in really tight, nose high turns. Both are good at either of those things, but it is hard to say one harriers better than the other. It's really pretty close.
Doc, do you mean Edge in these paragraphs or the Extra S/R. I am not being a jerk I just thought you were comparing the Edge to the Slick. I am really torn between the Edge and the blue SHP. I fly an S/R now and worry the SHP might be a step back but I really like the way the SHP looks. Besides the Edge just came out so I should be able to get it for awhile but not sure how much longer the SHP will be in the 3DHS line up. (not starting rumors it just makes sense that the older birds will be dropped for new models.)
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:17 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
Doc, do you mean Edge in these paragraphs or the Extra S/R.
In my last post I was comparing it to the Slick because that is the best harriering plane that most of us have ever flown. The Edge is really close to the Slick in harrier perfrmance. It might even be better, but I need to fly it more before I can tell.

Quote:
I am really torn between the Edge and the blue SHP. I fly an S/R now and worry the SHP might be a step back but I really like the way the SHP looks.
Yeah, I have a blue 55" and it looks really sweet in the air. I'll get a blue 47" if there are any left after I recover financially from building an SR, a Sukhoi, and an Edge 540 in one week, and a 40" Edge 540 next week. I may have to recover from a divorce too, as mad as she is that I am spending so much money!

The SHP isn't exactly a step backwards because it is still a world class 3D machine. It is just more docile and forgiving than the SR, but not much. It's lighter, so if you are going to be doing a lot of Alpha that will come in handy.

Quote:
Besides the Edge just came out so I should be able to get it for awhile but not sure how much longer the SHP will be in the 3DHS line up.
I'm willing to bet the SHP will be around forever because it is hands down the best all around, do-it-all 3D plane of all time. The SR is very close, and if I could only have one I don't kniow which one I would pick. The Edge is also right in there with these two, aso you don't have an easy choice.

However, no one who has bought an SHP has ever been sorry. You absolutely can't go wrong with an SHP.

Quote:
(not starting rumors it just makes sense that the older birds will be dropped for new models.)
I'm sure the SHP will go away when they stop selling, but don't see that ever happening. The SHP is just too good.

However, I am leaning a bit toward thinking the Edge 540 could be the next 1000 page plane here at RC Groups. Even on 4s it is extremely light and floaty. It's got great pitch authority, and it harriers like a monster. I'm definately getting another one, again, after I recover from all the recent spending.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:44 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,464 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Doc. I guess I should just flip a coin! LOL
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:18 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
Quote:
The only reasonable answer is to just get them all.

If a few extra dollars won't hurt you, look at the Slick. I just love mine. It's so nice I am almost afraid to fly it. It's different. It looks bug, it flies big, and it is big compaqred to a 47." It's only 51", but you will swear it is twice the size of a 47." Again, it's different, and you have to fly it differently, but I just love it. I want a backup so I can fly this one really hard and not sweat over hurting it.

After thinkng about it a bit, if you already have an SR, the SHP is pretty similar. If you want something different, the Edge is definately that. If you want more of the same, the SHP is lighter, floatier and more forgiving than the SR.

The SHP is not really a step backwards because I use the additional stability to push the SHP extremely hard. I do stupid things with the SHP that I would never dream dare to try with other planes. I love to go back to the SHP because it is so easy, and so reassuring to fly. Sure, the SR is like that too, but there are times with the SHP that I feel like I can fly it in my sleep.

Sometimes you need a no-brainer plane. When I am flying around a lot of people, I am very conserned about their safety, and the SHP is so easy that it is the one I like for occasions like that. Thing is, the SHP is still more capable than anything most of those people have ever seem, so it's not like anyone is going to look down their snoot at you for flying a 3D "trainer" because you have probably just blown them out of the air with totally hardcore 3D.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
55' Edge is too sweet!
Allen, TX
Joined Aug 2005
325 Posts
Quote:
Blake,

After flying your SR, fatcat220's Edge, my slick, and davidsons' shp, I would say go with the Edge. I think it is a good combination of what you might be looking for. The plane is super stable and confidence inspiring. It will use the 3s batteries you already have, which is a plus. This is the plane I will be "asking/getting" for Christmas.

That's my vote. Come out this weekend to Rowlett if you want to see the Slick and Edge fly. Just to throw in another wrinkle, Jim may have his 40" edge he just bought there as well. Just depends how fast he can build it.

dp
dprc is offline Find More Posts by dprc
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,464 Posts
dp,

I am starting to feel like a woman shopping for shoes. JUST BUY IT is what I would tell my wife right now. LOL Family is in town this weekend so I doubt I would be able to sneak out. Hopefully I will see these fly at the 114th on the 7th and make my final decision then. Shoot if Ben is there and has stock it would be hard not to drive away with something.

Doc, I looked really hard at the SLICK but because I own mostly 3s LiPos it would cost a lot to change to that size machine. In better times it wouldn't be a problem but the budget is tight right now. That is also why I haven't looked at the 40" Edge as I sold all my gear for that size plane. I really like the 47" airplanes because they fit perfect in my trunk and the park I normally fly at.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:35 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Hey Blakevan,

You are more than welcomed to fly a pack or two through my 47" Edge. My 55" SHP is a close second . You can take some stick time on this plane too.

I canceled my PA Addiction order and switched to the 40" instead. I originally ordered the Addiction to replace my defunct Addition and since I had drop in HW it seemed like the right decision. But after thinking more on the subject (and reading Dr. Austin's comments) I changed to the 40" Edge. Now that I've made the change I know it was the right decision. Also, I got the OK from the finance committee for the Addiction order and forgot to mention to the committee that there was a cost increase to change orders (needed the right sized Torque motor and also needed those ADC decals too ).

Lastly, since I'm now a pure 3DHS flier, anything I say is colored by the Kool-Aid I drink!
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220
Lastly, since I'm now a pure 3DHS flier, anything I say is colored by the Kool-Aid I drink!
I'm close to being all 3DHS as well. I still have an Adiction, but it is on a permanent loan to a friend. (Eventually he will crash and have to pay up...)

I am still waiting on my Edges. Opted for shipment by sea, so it could be Christmas before I get them.

Weather is pretty bad now with snow and everything. I keep my SR in the car and try to sneak in a flight or two when weather is permitting.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway