HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2006
141 Posts
I'm not a mathematician, but generally, a negative exponential is something that moves a lot at the beginning and less at the end. A positive exponential increases, well, exponentially as you progress.

Another way to think of it is to increase exponential you need to + expo, to decrease it you need to - expo.

I think Futaba just messed up and ran with it.
seti is offline Find More Posts by seti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:49 AM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
doh! lol HiTec does it also .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,139 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. Some clarification is in order, I guess

- This was more an attempt to compare notes than a desperate cry for help. I do have the plane mostly sorted out, at least on low rates - landed it reasonably well about 10 times by now, each time after a fairly enjoyable flight.
- The Tx is JR9303, the expo is set correctly - it shows me the curve, and I checked the surface movement visually.
- the max deflections are around 45 degrees, give or take
- CoG is set such that it descends inverted - I'd estimate hands-off descent angle as 5 degrees.
- I haven't yet pushed the battery all the way forward - still have half an inch or so to go.

I guess I'll rephrase my questions like this:
- moving my battery by less than half an inch makes a big difference on my Edge. That was not the case with my SHP. Is that a property of the airframe, or my imagination, or did I just start too far back.
- What do people use 45 deg. deflections for?
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
45* = 3D . you should have no problems . Which is the question we are trying to help you with
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:07 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
45* = 3D . you should have no problems . Which is the question we are trying to help you with
Well, if by 3D you mean a 0.1sec snap roll, I'd agree. I can hover/harrier it on low rates, elevator actually looks better on medium than on high rates.

Basically, I have the rates set up like this
- low rates: precise flight (mostly there, may dial down the ailerons). 30% elevator, 40% ailerons
- medium rates: snap roll I can exit more or less where I want it: 60% elevator, 50% ailerons
-high rates: snap roll difficult to control (but looks good when I get lucky), 125% with 85% expo on everything
Rudder is 100% on low and medium, 125% on high.

I'm still learning 3D, so some of the issues may sound silly, I suppose, but then that's how you learn..
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Snap mix , high ailerons low rud. ele. They look deep on full high and this plane will snap fast! Tumble fast also! Just mess around with the high rates until you get used to them . You will come to a point were you will see that you do need them . Like torquing in the wind.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seti
I'm not a mathematician, but generally, a negative exponential is something that moves a lot at the beginning and less at the end. A positive exponential increases, well, exponentially as you progress.

Another way to think of it is to increase exponential you need to + expo, to decrease it you need to - expo.

I think Futaba just messed up and ran with it.
Let me preface this with.....I apologize to everyone on the forum.....I tried and tried to let this go, but I couldn't do it.

Not a mathematician? Then let's remove "mathematics" from the (pun totally intended) equation, and say it this way. If I want the plane to be "less" sensitive around center stick, then -expo would make the most sense. If I want the plane to be more sensitive around center stick, then +expo. JR and Spektrum do this on the surface radios......why not their aircraft radios?

I think JR just messed up and, and finally figured it out on the car tx's.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk
... JR and Spektrum do this on the surface radios......why not their aircraft radios?

I think JR just messed up and, and finally figured it out on the car tx's.
Perhaps the assumption was that if you are smart enough to fly a plane, you are smart enough to understand 6th grade level math

One way or another, they draw the actual curve as you input the expo on 9303, so no excuses...

Thanks again guys, I'll keep working it.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
it *really* doesn't matter... because we're all moving and closely observing the flight surfaces to ensure that we get out of it what we want, right?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
You're right! It doesn't matter. I wasn't trying to stir things up......it was just bugging me. We can now return to talking about the Edge.......which rocks, by the way.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Hey it flips along the ground pretty good also .
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,222 Posts
Ok finialy madien with 5 packs through her with wheel pants in great cond, very easy landing bird. I must say Im very pleased with the power with this plane with only a 3s on 14x7 apc and the Omega 130g (motor sounds a little funny hope its ok?). I when't with the wing spar cg setting that was suggested (theKM). That seems to be alittle tail heavy for my liking. I moved up the batter an inch and she still flys inverted straight, normaly I like to get a little nose down when inverted myself? So I'm still working on my CG since I don't believe I have her nailed down yet. Also she ballons more than I thought when the throttle is cut (should I mix this out, any help on this one guys??). I did some KE's and I believe I need to add some up elevator mixing, don't remember. Harriers kick-ase with the plane for sure! I'm still working on the expos, just not funny happy yet. The elevator is so sensitive its not even funny how ballonie she can be. I can't believe how much different the Edge feels over the SR. All and all I know when she is fully tuned to my liking this might be one of my favorite 3dhs plane, but wait I'm also building a AJ....
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
That sound is normal....at least I hope so because mine has that growl as well.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:37 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford
Ok finialy madien with 5 packs through her with wheel pants in great cond, very easy landing bird. I must say Im very pleased with the power with this plane with only a 3s on 14x7 apc and the Omega 130g (motor sounds a little funny hope its ok?). I when't with the wing spar cg setting that was suggested (theKM). That seems to be alittle tail heavy for my liking. I moved up the batter an inch and she still flys inverted straight, normaly I like to get a little nose down when inverted myself? So I'm still working on my CG since I don't believe I have her nailed down yet. Also she ballons more than I thought when the throttle is cut (should I mix this out, any help on this one guys??). I did some KE's and I believe I need to add some up elevator mixing, don't remember. Harriers kick-ase with the plane for sure! I'm still working on the expos, just not funny happy yet. The elevator is so sensitive its not even funny how ballonie she can be. I can't believe how much different the Edge feels over the SR. All and all I know when she is fully tuned to my liking this might be one of my favorite 3dhs plane, but wait I'm also building a AJ....
Looks like we have the same planes. I run the 103g in my Edge, but the 130g in my SR is a bit loud also. The 47" Edge is my best plane. I don't even fly it much, because I'm affraid to hurt it .
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:44 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
Looks like we have the same planes. I run the 103g in my Edge, but the 130g in my SR is a bit loud also. The 47" Edge is my best plane. I don't even fly it much, because I'm affraid to hurt it .
LOL it does look like that which is all good bro! That sounds like a light motor no? How u making out with the cg on the edge?
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor