HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2001, 11:14 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Airtronics Eclipse Power System?

What's a good, modern and moderately priced power system for an Airtronics Eclipse?

Mine has been sitting in my basement for a couple of years after having barely flown on the original 550 motor and on/off switch system. I'm thinking about taking it out of mothballs.

I already have speed 400 motors/batteries/gearboxes, and I was also thinking about something in the speed 600 range.

I believe the Eclipse is a 2-meter powered sailplane.

Options, anyone? Thanks.

Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2001, 12:48 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
If you want to go cheap, a Magnetic Mayhem motor (~$25) on direct drive would be good. Using a gearbox and bigger prop (~$35) would be even better. But please don't try that original 550 motor.
I think that it woudl be too heavy for any of your Speed 400 stuff, even geared.
You may need new batteries for the larger motor, also.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jul 02, 2001, 11:37 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
The Eclipse was designed to fly on a Leisure Gear Drive. This was included in the Deluxe version of the kit,at least the later versions. The earlier gear box was a disaster. With a bit of rework a Master Airscrew drive could be used as could one of the new inline drives fron Hobby Lobby. This plane is a biy too heavy for speed 400 so a SP600 would be a better choice as would a MM as earlier recommended.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:54 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Bill, mine was the deluxe version with the non-Leisure gearbox. The gearbox stripped on the model's first flight when it failed to commit aviation (essentially it glided smoothly into the ground after launching). It then went into mothballs, I got smart, discovered the E Zone and started actually learning how to make electric models successfully fly. I wasn't too hurt by the lack of success with the Eclipse kit because I bought it unopened at a garage sale for $5.

One possible system that I'm thinking about is a 2.5-1 geared Endoplasma on 8x800AR cells. Does this sound reasonable or should I gear it higher and run a larger prop (for more thrust)? Any thoughts on this or prop recommendations?
Old Jul 03, 2001, 06:10 PM
Moore, OK
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
I am currently flying this airframe with a MJ 3.8:1 Planetary Gearbox, Trinity 21 turn arm in a ball bearing can timed at 12 degrees. Using a 14x7 aeronaut or 14x9.5 CAM prop on eight 2000scr's. Plenty of run time and ALTITUDE!
Hudley is offline Find More Posts by Hudley
Old Jul 04, 2001, 01:32 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Brian

Personally I would prefer a 3:1 or 3.5:1 ratio. I have had a lot of success with the Master Airscrew 3.5:1 with a 12/8 prop. I've also done well with lower ratios but this system is inexpensive and dependable. The motor that I favor is the 8.4v Speed 600 only because it is readily available locally. I'm sure your choice will perform equally well or better.

Good luck. I may take mine out of retirement.
Old Jul 05, 2001, 10:54 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Bill, thanks. What cells and cell counts are you using?
Old Jul 06, 2001, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
I have been using 7 cell packs and 10 cell packs. I've recently ordered a couple of 8 cell packs but have not received them yet. I use 1000mah,1250mah and 1700mah cells-all nicd.