SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:46 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Idea
Practice, practice and more practice

Anybody into RC very long has seen the videos of awesome flying . We all dream, and the usual question is what plane is that. But nope, thatís not what counts.

Eye/hand coordination skill is necessary for RC but is more complicated than any description. It involves everything else between eyes and thumbs, and here are examples from other stuff about how it works:

I watched a history channel show tonight about expert archery and gun marksmanship, and the skill is mind boggling. But what the experts said is informative. A guy split the tail end of an arrow in a target with another arrow like the Robin Hood story and said it took him only about 930 tries to start getting it right .

Years ago a friend and I learned to throw an Aerobie. Kind of like a frisbee, a 13Ē hard rubber and CF reinforced 2Ē wide ring with a ľĒ thick flat bottom airfoil. It hasnít caught on much because although it flies awesome, its hard to learn how to throw. How it flies is still a fascinating mystery to everyone. It took us 3 summers of trial and error to learn, because if a launch is off slightly, it may go 100 yards away. We lost 5 of them and got lots of exercise. We decided there is no way to describe how to throw it right. It looks like you are standing at right angles to the other guy and starting with it above and behind you, a fast swing down to the release with a reverse wrist snap at waist height in front of you. It can fly 100 yards waist high flat and straight so the other guy doesnít have to move to catch it. At 50 yards it looks like a little orange line coming at you at 90mph so we used biking gloves. The thinking was always only just fire it at the other guy, and catching was reacting faster than we could think. With my arthritis now its impossible.

For me starting RC, instruction and thinking about how to move the sticks helped some but didn't prevent crashes. Now after 9mo and many crashes and countless flights I can handle modded SC okay and keep up with its natural response to control inputs without thinking about what I am doing. With buddy box Iím learning the MiniUltraStick aerobatic trainer, mainly doing landing approaches over and over to get a clean arc at right altitude to lined up with the runway and then clean angle of descent to touchdown point. With no jigging and no thinking necessary .

Really good RC flying is a complex coordination process, and fortunately the physical requirement is just little thumb movements . The key to doing it well is just practice, practice and more practice

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Oct 21, 2008 at 02:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
East Sussex, UK
Joined Oct 2007
68 Posts
I have to agree that practice is the answer, but i don't think the trees round here will be glad to hear it.
Simon
slimsim60 is offline Find More Posts by slimsim60
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Very true Icky and while a sim is OK it's not like flying a real plane and to get better you need to keep practicing.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:44 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
I found a simulator extremely useful, had a knee operation and knew I'd be laid up for a while and just sat and concentrated on one thing at a time and did it again and again until I started getting it right practiced rolling circles for hours because I wasn't going anywhere !!!!!
It made me totally fluent with all the correct stick inputs and right amout of rudder / elevator input at the right time and then started doing harriers and then rolling harriers and hovering.
When you go to the field you don't want to keep doing the same thing again and again but if you can learn some of the harder things to pick up on a Simulator and become fluent with them you won't half find it easier when you get to the field and don't even have to think about the sticking !!!!
I also found it really useful when I wanted to move up to more aerobatic planes and on the Sim found the most sensitive to fly I could and became conversant with the much lighter inputs.
As you say though it's just practice that counts but you can't half get a load of it you use a simulator and just concentrate on one thing at a time and just doing it over and over again.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:33 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Wow - someone else that threw an aerobie! Those things were great! Nothing like a relaxing game of catch from opposite end zones on a football field.

Of course, that was only after lots of practice and lots of running.

The instruction manual even said it - the first game you will learn to play is "fetch".

Kinda like when I started flying - I was always walking to pick up my plane!
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:22 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Try learning to throw a boomerang and have it reliably come back to a hand catch.
It's hell on your fingernails.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood