Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:03 PM
Moline IL
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Discussion
need some help guys, problem with greyhound. lost plane

So here is the deal. we sent 2 big boxxes to a gent from forum via greyhound. he said the wing made it, but never saw the fuse. It is a 60 size pattern plane. The wing box was small and flat, but the fuse box was massive. greyhound called and said they guy said it was lost and greyhound says they can not find it anywhere and dont know where it got lost, how do you loose a massive box?.

So each box was insured @ $250 each. my brother owes the guy now for the plane, packing and shipping. which is over $300. know if a claim is filed he will get that $250 back, but here is the deal, are we screwed? he may get his money (other guy), but do we get comp for the loss of the plane? we payed $80 to have the plane pro packed in boxxes with bracing so it wouldnt get broke, plus $125 to ship, so i take it we are out money?

I think he said he would ship the wing back if we needed, or maybe i heard wrong. How do i know he dont have it all and is trying to pull a fast one? I am sure it is ok, but greyhound got us for sure. but we have been screwed on a $1200 heli also on a UPS deal a few years ago. My brother said he hasnt heard from the guy in over 2 weeks, and greyhound called today.

i have shiped many 60 size planes across the states and never had a issue, a scratch, exc..

Im lost and kinda bummed it was a very beautiful bridi escape fully built and RTF.

If it cant fit in a UPS box with a tracking number anymore, im done on shipping. shipping is getting so bad, you cant trust them and you pay out the as%.

thanks for the info
crashEMhard is offline Find More Posts by crashEMhard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:08 PM
Moline IL
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
I could be jumping the gun, but i was told by my brother that he see's this buyer is signing on and off the site daily or almost and just recent, but has never replyed back about the plane. if you didnt get your plane and out hundreds of dollars wouldnt you email your seller?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:58 PM
USA, MI, Woodhaven
Joined Feb 2003
268 Posts
Trader Rating: 191
If you insured with Greyhound for $250 they will pay you not him.
If Greyhound settles the claim, you will be getting the check then tell the guy to send the wing back before you send him a refund.
At least that way you know he can't fly the plane with no wing if he's trying to pull a scam on you.
The story sounds a little fishy to me, I have never had a problem with Greyhound and they always knew where the crate was, or boxe's at all times.
Kilowatts is offline Find More Posts by Kilowatts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:34 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,942 Posts
Trader Rating: 420
Where did you go to do the shipping? I use Greyhound alot and never paid more than $70.00 to ship an 84" x 24" x 24" box that weighed in a 35 lbs. This was from Arizona to New Jersey.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:50 PM
Moline IL
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
i understand they pay out, which will pay him, but that means we are out of $ also. if he gets paid, we get nothing, go figure. it was 2 boxxes also. 1 wing and 1 fuse. does sound kinda fish, both shipped same day, same bus.hmmmm
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
Moline Il.
Joined Sep 2004
170 Posts
Trader Rating: -1
im the one in the deal. ill be talking to the guy tomorrow. he sent me message saying hed call and we can figure it out. i know hes a good guy and he buys a ton of vintage stuff. but somehow a box bigger then me got on another bus in the process and is gone. im sure its out there but wouldnt people wonder why its sitting around not going anywhere. ill have more info tomorrow. im sure we can get this figured out.
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
North Carolina
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Here's what I would do given your circumstances:

1. Call Greyhound and get Proof of Delivery for the shipment. If the recipient signed for one crate, then he only received the one box containing the wings and is not trying to pull a fast one on you. If he signed for two crates, then as far as Greyhound is concerned, the shipment was delivered and they will not pay any claim. He may have signed for two crates by mistake, but then it becomes the receipient's problem as he signed off on the shipment as delivered. It does not sound like this is what happened, but you'll want to check to be sure.

2. Wait a week or two to see if the other crate shows up. The buyer will not like this very much and will want you to send him a refund, but if you can get him to agree to wait, that would be best for everyone. Why? Because the insurance that was purchased will not cover the value of the shipment, and the buyer really wants the complete plane. If you go forward with the claim, the crate becomes the property of Greyhound and when they eventually find it they will auction it off or sell it. They will not call you. Also, make sure you know what the time limits are for filing a claim so you don't miss the deadline.

3. If you do file the claim with Greyhound, try to see if you can get them to agree to ship the wings back to you at no charge. Otherwise, you'll be in the hole even more $$ as it will cost you to get the wings back. I'd probably just let the buyer keep them as it would be more trouble than its worth to ship them back.

Whenever you ship anything with any carrier, make sure you include ALL costs when you insure the shipment. That way, if the shipment is lost or damaged you won't take a hit. If it is a used item, insure it for the entire REPLACEMENT cost. If you sold a used plane for $300, but will cost $1,000 to buy new, insure for $1,000.00. Also, if you are shipping expensive items, remind the buyer to inspect the box/crate before he signs for it. If there is any damage, he needs to make sure he notes it on the bill of lading or the signature sheet with Fedex/UPS. If he signs for it clean and there is obvious damage, he will come back to you and it create a big problem (even though youare not at fault). The same goes if you are buying something; make sure you inspect the package when you receive it. Obvious damage needs to be noted while hidden damage does not.

If you are shipping an item, make sure it is packed properly. This shipment was professionally crated, which is fantastic. If you are packing something yourself, put in the extra effort to make sure it is packed properly. You can buy as much insurance as you want, but if it is not packed properly the carrier will (rightfully) deny the claim.

Lastly, most carriers are pretty good about paying claims, but it all depends upon the adjuster you get. Make sure you thoroughly document your claim. That way if they try to screw you, you have everything you need to file a small claims suit (if necessary).

Hope this helps. I was in the insurance business for 6 years and all we did was insure freight; I've seen some real horror stories, but if you do everything right you'll come out on top every time.
pp0003 is offline Find More Posts by pp0003
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:21 AM
Moline Il.
Joined Sep 2004
170 Posts
greyhound called me saying they cant find the package. also it been at least a month since i sent the stuff out. more the enough time for them to ship the goods. ill talk with the guy i sent to later today. hope we get something going.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:46 PM
San Diego Calif.
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
I am the buyer in the deal,I did pick up the wing on the 29th of Sept. I asked the guy at Greyhound if there was another box because I knew the whole plane would not fit in the box I just picked up.He said that it was only 1 item on that ticket.I went home and called Jeff to see if he sent 2 boxes on 1 ticket,he said he had to do a seperate ticket for the fuselage.He said both boxes went out at the same time,so I told him I would check down there in a few days.Jeff did give me a busbill number to track it down.I go down to Greyhound on the 7th of Oct and still no fuselage,I give the guy the busbill # but does not work because it is a Trailways bus number.Turns out it was shipped by Trailways from Moline Ill. to Denver Co. then Greyhound takes it from Denver to LA then down to San Diego.So I call Trailways to track it ,I get a guy that says he will have his superviser call me back in a few days.Never got a call,so I call them back on the 15th and get the super myself.Told her the story and said that Greyhound uses a differant number system to track with.I'm thinking WTH how did I get the wing box with no Greyhound numbers on it at all,just the Trailways number.She said she was going to get a hold of Greyhound and that they may have to search for the package by name.Claudia (Trailways super) said the we should start a claim next.She said she would call Jeff to let him know.I called Jeff this morning and told him I would much rather have the XLT pattern plane than the money.I do not understand why Jeffs brother would think he would loose the plane and the money.Jeff has the money $400.00 ($240.00 for the plane and $160.00 for shipping and packaging) I don't scam people ,I am richardh7443 on ebay if you want to see what I buy and what my feedback is.If you want the wing back as proof I will send it back or if you want to save on shipping I will destroy it on video for you.I think I am the one that would loose out on the claim because it would cover the cost of the item not shipping. So if you smell something fishy stop hanging around the fish market! I think the problem is the link between the bus companies.I requested Greyhound for shipping I did not know I would have to deal with Trailways for the 1st half of the trip.So who's the blame? I say no one,but I guess I get pointed to! Why would I bother Jeff to find out where the the fuselage was during that time? He said he sent it and gave me busbill # That was good enough for me.

Rich
70's Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 70's Flyer
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:52 PM
San Diego Calif.
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Trailways suggested Jeff make the claim since he has the original paper work,that means he gets the money.I would hope he would refund me the cost. If the claim does not settle then I will eat the cost and call it a lesson learned.

Rich 70's Flyer
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:07 PM
USA, MI, Woodhaven
Joined Feb 2003
268 Posts
Trader Rating: 191
Jeff:

Rich sound's like a very honest guy to me, I don't think anyone that was trying to scam you would go to all that trouble trying to locate his item's.You Jeff the shipper has to file the claim since you did the shipping and the paper work at Greyhound.
I just hope Greyhound doesn't pass the buck to Trailways and say's it their fault not Greyhound's.
Best of luck to you guy's, I hope everything turn's out ok, who know's Rich the plane might be found in some lonely bus station someplace and show up at your front door.
Kilowatts is offline Find More Posts by Kilowatts
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:21 PM
San Diego Calif.
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
I hope that would happen,I am willing to wait until the last minute for him to file the claim hoping the plane will show up by the deadline.

Rich
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:33 PM
Moline Il.
Joined Sep 2004
170 Posts
they want me to file the claim right now so i have the forms and need to fill them out. neither one of us is to blame here. but i hope we can get a happy end to this story. they only want me right now to do a claim so its in writing and then they said they will try harder to find the package before the reinburst us. she didtn tell me the timeframe we have though. she was kinda vague one what i had to do to help. for the record if you guys read above im not the poster of this. that was my brother. i have no problem with my buyer. hes been patient and honest so far.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:08 PM
North Carolina
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
THere are probably terms and conditions on the back of the busbill that spell out the timeframe for filing a claim. If there are no terms there, there should be on the documents on which you paid the additional insurance. The company that issued you )the shipper) the busbill is who you need to file the claim with. The fact that they gave it to another carrier to ship for them is not your issue. If the busbuill does not have any terms on it (very doubtful) then you could conceivably go after the carrier for the total value of the shipment as they would not have limited their liability.

Since we have heard from both the buyer and the seller here, it sounds like a good transaction went bad because of the carrier. Everyone did everything in good faith. When the shipper gets paid by the carrier, he will then need to send a refund to the buyer, which I'm sure will happen.

Still hope they find the crate...it's probably sitting at a terminal somewhere because someone took it off a bus and never put it back on. One thing you could do is try to trace the route that the buses took and find out all of the stops. Then call each station and see if they have the crate.

Good luck
pp0003 is offline Find More Posts by pp0003
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:11 PM
Moline IL
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
I just started this as a cover you as# asking for advice. I didnt blame anyone. Just asking questions. My brother has been burned bad 2 or 3 times on RC deals(and not low dollar deals), and you can see why i am jumping in. I didnt want him to throw in the towel and get screwed, and loose out again! i was trying to help. So rich i wasnt blaming you or pointing the finger, but thats why we dont ship alot anymore, or trades, always the ones getting burned. The reason i started this thread because i was wondering, if we make the claim and pay you, that leaves my brother out cash, plane and packing. no money left for him. Try to understand where i come from. yes it was a shipping issue, but now days you never know, look at all the other rip off post's. sometimes you got to expect the worse i guess.

AND HOW CAN THEY MISS PLACE A BOX THAT MASSIVE? IT WAS FRIGGIN HUGE!! IDIOTS

thanks nick
Last edited by crashEMhard; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Closed Thread