HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2003, 09:17 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,783 Posts
GWS MC2002 charger.. Can it be plugged into a wall outlet?

I have this charger, and was wondering if there's anyway to get it to plug into a wall outlet? If not, what is a good, fast charger that I can buy to plug into a wall outlet? One that's around $50-$75 preferably...

Thanks for any and all help.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:16 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
DC ONLY CHARGER!!!!

NO!!! This excellent charger is designed for only DC (direct current) operation. You will need to either charge off of a car battery or purchase a regulated DC power supply. There are many choices for regulated power supplies but they must be large enough to power the unit. Almost all regulated power supplies are at 13.8 Volts. The charger is designed to handle that or slightly less but very important to not use a power supply of less then 4 Amps with this unit. This is my third charger and I am extremely pleased with its operation as you will be also. If you want to get a power supply that should last you a lifetime and cover all your future needs,you should be able to go to Radio Shack and pick up their 25 Amp power supply for $70.00 as it is on sale at half price. A fine unit that is much lighter in weight then many of the supplys as it acheives ripple free regulation by using the method called switching which allows it to be made without a heavy transformer. Hope I have not made the answer too complicated, but your choice of charger is excellent. GUD FLYING.........Dick
Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dick
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:19 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Since you already have the MC2002 the best bet is to look for a 10-15A switching power supply - do a search and I'm sure you'll find several leads. The only AC/DC charger I can recommend right now is less capable than the MC2002 - and for what it costs you probably get an adequate power supply.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:54 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
This may not be the best solution, but you should be able to charge up to ~2A or so on 8 cell packs:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN9521

If you can spend a little more, get the RS power supply. Last option is to kludge one yourself from a spare PC power supply.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Feb 20, 2003, 12:07 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,783 Posts
Alright, thanks for the help guys! It's appreciated!

Jeff
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer