Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by fly time, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:58 AM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Discussion
Sea Fury prop testing

I flew the Sea Fury some more yesterday, this time with a new Mystery 3S 2200mAh 25c battery. Big difference over the 15c batteries I had been using before! The uplines were long and fast, though straight up unlimited vertical is not possible with this setup.

The big VarioProp 5-blader needs a fair amount of power, ideally 250-300 watts. The Himax 2025-4200 is rated for about 200, but it can put out a little more than that with proper cooling. With the 25c battery, I'm probably running at arounf 225 watts at WOT, but that is just a guess. I would put it on the meter to see for sure, but on about the 4th landing the prop struck the pavement and one of the blades snapped off. I will need to order some new blades because I don't have any spares.

After breaking the vario, I decided to fly it with the FSK/Manzano Laser Works prop (5 FSK 9x7 blades from Hobby Lobby installed in a plywood hub cut by Charlie Manzano). This is the 5 bladed prop that most guys are using on their Sea Furies. I had bought this prop before I stumbled across the VarioProp but had never flown with it. It works really nicely, and makes a little more noise than the VarioProp when you load it up. I would say the Vario is better though, as it has more thrust. The FSK blades are really soft, and they bend quite a bit under load. On the positive side, they are hard to break.

After flying with it for a few minutes, the prop shaft collet gave loose and the prop flew off with the plane about 40' over my head It was already a little tail heavy as the plane was balanced for the heavier VarioProp, and now with no prop at all it was definately not gliding well. I circled once and dropped the gear, then lined it up over the big asphalt parking lot and mushed it down to a hard 3 point landing. No damage I must say, I have been very impressed with the retractable gear that E-Flite includes with this model. Very sturdy!
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
to remove ads between posts