HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2003, 06:19 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
How to get from a 3 view to a flying model?

Anyone willing to take on the challange of showing us how to get from a 3 view to a flying model?

I have found a decent 3 view of an A-10 Thunderbolt II and downloaded a 30 day trial of Designcad 3d Max.

All I need to do is get some sorta plans done in 30 days

I was planing on doing cross sections...printing them out...hot wire cutting out each section and sticking it all together to make the fuse. Sorta like what Haldor did here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=92199

Cheers,

~Ado
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,664 Posts
Ado

That method is a LOT of work, and probably overkill unless your fuselage has a very complex cross section like the blended wing jet pictured on that link.

Most of the time you can get away with just drawing a side and top profiles on your block of foam for the fuselage.

Cut the side profile to give the block the right outline, then cut the top outline to give the fuse the right taper.

Now just cut off the corners and round the fuselage to the right shape. Look at TFLG's pictures of his nice King Cobra under his
"My big EPP Kingcobra" thread. That fuse was shaped this way.

You will probably want to stretch the wings a little and increase the size of the tail surfaces by about 20%.

Watch out for the extra drag of the engine nacelles. You might even want to make them removable. There was a friend of TFLG"s that built a gorgeous A-10 foamie. It flew well, but flew way better with the nacelles off.

There used to be a nice little A-10 by a company called Combat Models that I built years ago. It used toilet paper rolls as the nacelles. You just wrapped them in a layer of glass and painted. They weren't really scale in shape or diameter, but they still looked quite cool and were pretty low in drag.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Feb 19, 2003, 02:35 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,892 Posts
If all goes well, I'll be building a plane from a 3-view in the next couple of weeks (still need to order the foam first).

As Brian mentioned, doing cross sections is going to be tricky. Since the fuselage usually tapers and its profile changes from station to station, it is pretty hard to draw up your own bulkheads by hand, based on measurements from a 3-view.

You will be better off to block the foam out in the side and top profiles and then just start shaping the corners down. Use the beveling method to keep things even. Carve equal sized bevels along the two top corners, then do the same for the bottom corners. For the first pass rough out the basic profile, then on the second pass, knock off the corners by splitting the angles. By using flat surfaces it is fairly easy to see if everything is symmetrical. It also helps to have a nice sunny day. The light will be diffused if it is overcast and it is much harder to see the shadows.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 19, 2003, 04:08 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,198 Posts
Here is the DXF file for the A-10 that one of the ISR guys built. It flies quite well if you fly it without the engine nacelles. The engine nacelles add some serious drag and also seem to blank out some of the tail. The angle of them also seems to affect the angle of incidence too.

This one was carved from EPP. We just plotted out the drawing full size taped that to some EPP and cut the fuse out. The plane is pretty square anyway so shaping it was really easy. The wing was hot wire cut and used a 10.5% RG-14 airfoil and has a 60" span.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Feb 19, 2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:36 PM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Thanks guys.

I asked the same question in the Electric/Jets area, there seems to be a health discussion happening.

Check it out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=94118

Cheers,

~Ado
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado