HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:37 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Can a hill(mountain) be too big for sloping?

We have a mountain you can drive right to the top of here in town. I'd say it's a good 1000 feet up. Can you slope on a hill that big. It's also fairly steep. Around 45-50 deg if not more. I've never sloped before. I'm looking to start seeing that the wind around here most days grounds my other plane.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2001, 03:45 AM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
hell yes, that sounds like a good spot. almost like our hill, about 800ft. drive up and toss em off....too cool... the only problem being able to recover a downed plane, if its a problem? shold have plenty of lift. HERE'S A LINK TO OUR HILL, MIKE NOELS PAGE...COOL..
http://sites.netscape.net/amountainaero/myhomepage.html

[This message has been edited by wiley (edited 06-29-2001).]
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jun 29, 2001, 05:18 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
I thought about that. I'm going to go with
a powered plane to begin with. That way if I
get in trouble I can get back. It's the best
place I've seen so far. You can see the whole
town from up there. And like 1/4 of the
island. And this ain't no small island. Any
way. Any ideas on a plane to get me started
up there. Something around 60" or less. Or
bigger if the wing comes in two.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 09:10 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,167 Posts
I was in Santorini Greece last week - 800' sheer cliff facing into the wind, and it was blowing pretty good - I was about 3' from the lip and put my arms out and closed my eyes.....

God, i would have LOVED to have a plane with me then !!!

Alan W <~ Newly Married, still have my planes
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jun 29, 2001, 10:59 AM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
Quote:
I was about 3' from the lip and put my arms out and closed my eyes.....
I'm glad you didn't say, "...and launched!"
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:04 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,057 Posts
Having too big of a hill with wind is like having too big of a bank account for a true slope enthusiast.

Eventually you'll build or do something to exploit it!

The best thing though, is to have a nice landing area too, so you can get your planes back from the amazing ride.

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2001, 03:13 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Hi Matie,,Been to Kodiak a few times while assigned to the Boutwell....Retired TC-1...Mate you don't need no stinkin motor with a site like that just wind...5 to 10 knots 2 meter floaters....(wind between 10-15 a little dicey for floater but if you ballast em they will fly but the landing is going to be dicer too) 15 to ? man a brick will fly if you could get it to turn...geez and you don't need a motor......the only time any motor comes in handy is when the wind dies completely, but if you have plenty of altitude when that happens you just land....Your biggest concern is a landing area. (If it is the hill I'm thinking about they didn't have a road to the top you had to hike it...but then I could be completly wrong as I haven't been there since 1978...Is it the hill behind the Airsta across the road?) Anyhow if it is grass that's good....Pavement bad....gonna have to beef the bottom somehow....That site should produce to nice clean lift as there is not much in front of it to disturb the flow...however there will be a rotor on top and to the rear depending on airspeed...the only solution is speed and keep it as low as you can, landing area size as big as possible but you can set em down into the smallest places with practice........ I'm jealous already.....Keep your feet dry mate...

Wylie

P.S. forgot....launch your craft slighly nose down,,(beware it will ballon some)...turn right or left your choice and fly parallel to the slope and then turn into the wind come back parallel to the slope and again turn into the wind...Once your comfortable with that you can explore how far out the lift band is.. it should be fairly wide....a clean fast sloper you'll be able to gain a lot of altitude and then nose over into a dive and keep the dive until you've used up approx 3/4 of the slope and pull up and the energy that built up in the dive should bring it back up to at least eye level or higher depending on the weight of the sloper...If you ballast it more energy....

[This message has been edited by Wylie Shaw (edited 06-29-2001).]
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jun 29, 2001, 03:39 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Hey Wylie,
TC2 at the Commsta. Are you talking about old Woman? Right across the bay from the docks? I'd love to get up there but the walk is just out of the question. I'm pretty lazy. I was talking about Pillar in town. The big hill on the other side of Sea Land. Don't know if you know it. But it's the huge hill on the right comming out of town. Such a small world we live in. Great to talk
to a fellow TC. Guess I'll have to go look for me a plane now.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Foxtrot (edited 06-29-2001).]
Old Jun 29, 2001, 06:19 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
"We have a mountain you can drive right to the top of here in town. I'd say it's a good 1000 feet up ... It's also fairly steep. Around 45-50 deg if not more."

"too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL!" --May West

Dieter

P.S.: Don't scare the bears
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 29, 2001, 06:31 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
I'll try not too.
One more question. I've got a House of Balsa P-51 that I'm building. Do you think I could slope it with out a motor in it? I haven't looked at the numbers on it yet but It should be doable.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 07:22 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
I'm going to start a new thread about the P-51. Should've done that in the first place.

Old Jul 01, 2001, 02:50 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Just thought I'd give yall a peek at my future flying site.
http://www.ptialaska.net/~lcottle/

It's the second picture down. Height is 1400'. Lot higher than I thought. My only problem is that the town of Kodiak is pretty much right at the base. Maybe I'll fly on the other side. Not as steep but good enough.

Foxtrot

Old Jul 01, 2001, 10:07 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Foxtrot, Don't Worry about the town. It's far enough down to be not a problem. I was thinking about Old Woman for sure....been a long time...TC2 wow!!!! Great!!! If you can fly then you should have no trouble with HOB P51 but be aware that it's not going to be a lite wind sloper, Proably approx 12-20 knots but I may be wrong (anyone help me out here)
Take a look at N.E. Sailplanes site at www.nesail.com Daves Aircraft Works TG-3 aileron version would be perfect to get you started as it's a foamie and not going to hurt any thing when you prang it...also the Zagi would be good to....for a lot more performance Any the Sparrow's will go like skat and you can slope em from 10 to ? kts..There's a lot of choices out there, just don't pick a 2 meter with a flat bottom airfoil they will not penetrate very well in a lot of wind, but on the other hand 10 kts and below they are great...Hope this has confused you more.... Any help ping me at anytime...Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jul 01, 2001, 01:55 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I ordered a Philip Sloper from NES the other day. I don't know if I'll ever get up the nerve to give it a throw but I'll have it if I need it. I think I'll wait to fly off the cliffs 'till I get some experience in sloping. But for now the P-51 is going to have to do. I'm definately going to have to go up Old Woman. I'll just take a lunch and make a day of it. Thanks again for all the info.

Old Jul 02, 2001, 12:38 AM
Castle Valley, UT
Joined Dec 2000
143 Posts
Hey Foxtrot, I responded to one of your posts some months ago. I started the WX station there in 73 and spent over 12 years on Kodiak. You have a number of great sloping sites...wish I had been into that at the time...but I have a good local hill. I think someting like DAW's Schwiezer 1-26 or similar foamies, including the Zagi LE which I fly would be great. The Zagi is small and easy to fly and slopes on my hill super...even survives my "landings". Old Womens Mountain isn't that bad of a hike and what a great place to fly it would be. Just stick with the prevailing winds and you can fly many places on the island.

My Regards to ADQ...SamW
SamW is offline Find More Posts by SamW