Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
washington
Joined Nov 2002
65 Posts
difference between 1 layer wing versus 2 layers?

I'm pretty sure this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it again, but what's the difference when making fanfold/sturdyboard wings where you have a single layer that you mold to create an airfoil where the top of the wing and bottom of the wing has the same curve ( I think the frog is like this) vs one where you fold inhalf and glue together so that the top of the wing is curved and bottom part is relatively flat (kind of like the zagnut wing).

I figure one weighs only half as much as the other one, but that's about all I'm sure about.

Hope you guys understand the description. I wasn't too sure about the technical names for these two designs.

Thanks
micron is offline Find More Posts by micron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:55 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Single layer = undercambered

Undercambered wings are great on slowfliers. The generate plenty of lift ... but also lots of drag.

Double layer wings cut out a lot of drag if built correctly ( not to thick of course ). This would result in higher speeds. You can also build true airfoil shapes this way to get exactly what you want from a type of foil ( twist, reflex, symetrical, etc ).

That's generalizing it a bit ...

Eddie
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,603 Posts
For slow flight the single surface wing is a good choice. The dual surface wing will have lower drag at higher speeds, and also will be stronger due to its resemblance to a beam. The torsional stiffness will be much higher for the dual surface wing.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:06 PM
washington
Joined Nov 2002
65 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies. My next question is what to build with the gear that I have. I guess I'll start a new post for this though

Thanks again!
micron is offline Find More Posts by micron