HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:06 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
FUTABA 8UHFS OR 8UAFS

I am buying a new transmitter to replace my trusty 6XAs that I distroyed. I seem to remember that people seem to like the Helo version better for flying gliders. I fly everything from Poly HLG's to a 3.6M Ventus 2C. I also fly some power, nothing crazy, and one of these days I want to get my ECO 8 Helo in the air. What model should I go with. Hopeing to get it ordered today so I have it for the long weekend next week.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:57 AM
Bedford, MA
Joined Nov 2000
324 Posts
The key difference between the two is the placement on the switch to change flight modes (it's on the left for the heli Tx). I just helped my neighbor change his Tx from the aircraft to heli configuration (as outlined in Don Edberg's book on the 8U), and he is happier with the heli configuration.

-Tracy
tclark is offline Find More Posts by tclark
Old Jun 28, 2001, 02:51 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Yep get the Heli version. I bought the Aircraft model and wish I had gotten the Heli version.
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Jun 28, 2001, 02:59 PM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Well looks like it is the Helo version. Now if I could just find someone who sells the Tx alone and has them in stock.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Jun 29, 2001, 01:06 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
The 8U is going out and to be replaced wth a 9 channels unit( probably in 6 months or Teledo show), not as fancy as the 9Z. So you might want to wait or get the 8U while it is still available and cheap. Futaba is pushing the 8U out by throwing in Don Edberg's in onthe deal.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jun 29, 2001, 02:46 PM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
sh*t can the futaba's and buy a JR radio. i used to fly futaba years ago and called JR junk radio, not anymore, after all the problems i had with futaba service and computer radios.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jun 29, 2001, 02:54 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
National Hobby Supply in Atlanta sells them with tx and rx only for $269, meaning that nice 8-channel receiver is only going to cost $30 more. I got one on order, I got the airplane version but it looks like the heli might have been a better choice.
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Old Jun 29, 2001, 03:07 PM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I talked to National Hobby and they did not sound interested in ordering a TX only and did not mention that they would sell the Tx, Rx combo. Oh well, I do have a couple Super Slim 8's that I use in my 4 servo HLG's. Looking forward to checking it out but not looking forward to re-programing in all my planes. I did look on E-bay and a couple of R/C classified pages and everyone was looking for @$200.00 and they where not channel 47. I guess I should order the book by ? on the 8U's I have only heard good things. Have a great weekend all.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:51 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
I got my 8U from National 3 years ago, I ask them if they would take the servos out and they did and reduced the price about 50.00. The radio system, minus the four servos, got to my door for just a hair under 290.00.

Brian.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jun 30, 2001, 12:26 AM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I talked to Bruckner Hobbies again today and talked with another young lady over there and they happily ordered a 8UHFS today. $239.00 which seemed ok price wise. Hope to have it by the 4th. Pretty excited.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Jun 30, 2001, 12:32 AM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Yes that is a good price; If you get it and find yourself wishing you had gotten the Airplane version let me know and we will trade Im not holding my breath though. You will be impressed.
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Jun 30, 2001, 12:45 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
Just had to throw this in. Just got a 8UHF used. Guy had it for 7 months and didn't fly much. Looks and works new. Even manual looks new. Heck, the still had the blank owner's warranty card and all original packing. Paid 300 with RX, 5 S3001 servos, battery, charger, and he threw in a nistarter for my slimer. Now check this, I purchased the money order and emailed a pic of it. He then sent setup to me to look at (which of course I kept) and then I sent money order to him, but only when I was happy.

There are good deals out there, you just have to look around and remember that really good used equipment isn't cheap but cheaper than new.

Cheers
John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old Jul 03, 2001, 03:02 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Yeah they told me the same thing, no tx alone. But I need an 8 ch. rx anyway, so $239 (bruckner tx only) vs $269 (national, tx rx) seems like a good deal.
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK