SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:18 PM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Discussion
will the real carbon fiber blades please stand up

i wrecked the set that purported to be carbon blades that came with my trex clone and then used and wrecked some cheapies i got at Dx.

i had assumed that carbon blades are like plastic ones, but these things
i've had have wood and weights in them concealed under the carbon cloth, and have no where near the durability of plastic blades, which i assumed they would.

could somebody please tell me what a REAL carbon fiber rotor blade is/looks like...esp the interior.

i see that some can cost over $100 and they can't possibly be the stuff i had right?

thnx

frac
frac is offline Find More Posts by frac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:34 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
the esky ones for a hbk2 are decent quality and have a foam core but the actual carbon weave overlay is thick enough to be strong .. however .. carbon fiber blades are not much more durable than woodies and any blade strike usually will bust one off for you no problem ...
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Oct 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Even high end carbon blades, like Align and Radix, have foam cores. Their big advantage is not so much strength as stiffness and airfoil shape.

Ooh, for durability, run down to your favorite LHS and get the Align black and yellow "carbon" blades. They're carbon-reinforced plastic and stiffer than regular plastics, and nearly as durable.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:10 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc
Even high end carbon blades, like Align and Radix, have foam cores. Their big advantage is not so much strength as stiffness and airfoil shape.

Ooh, for durability, run down to your favorite LHS and get the Align black and yellow "carbon" blades. They're carbon-reinforced plastic and stiffer than regular plastics, and nearly as durable.
I have some of these, I havent put them on tho.......
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:14 PM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
dze and murdnunoc, my blades are nothing like these so i assume that they are "fakes"

@M i have made telephone contact with every LHS in this POS area
and i can say not one of them carries ANY trex parts whatsover.....over
a distance of about 50 miles.

trex everywhere my....

frac
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:33 PM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
I use these.. and love them! And at $12.88 and free shipping they are an amazing deal... they have a wood core. They are 'seconds' and have cosmetic defects.. but I could care less about that.. I paint the top side white so they stand out. They fly so much better than the Blade 400 stock blades.. and work for many helis out there.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10786
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:52 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frac
dze and murdnunoc, my blades are nothing like these so i assume that they are "fakes"

@M i have made telephone contact with every LHS in this POS area
and i can say not one of them carries ANY trex parts whatsover.....over
a distance of about 50 miles.

trex everywhere my....

frac
Well, the core material doesn't matter too much. It's just there to hold the shape and give the carbon weave something to wrap around.

I'd say your blades are as genuine as anything out there. Not like the Align 3K stuff... fell for that one. "Ooh, carbon tail blades for $5.00!" "wait..."
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:54 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
I have some of these, I havent put them on tho.......
I had some trouble with tracking them, as they are more flexy than either true carbons or woodies. But man, are they tough. And heavy. I jumped off the ground and into a flip while still in Normal flight mode, and those things kept spinning right through it!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 12:02 AM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster
I use these.. and love them! And at $12.88 and free shipping they are an amazing deal... they have a wood core. They are 'seconds' and have cosmetic defects.. but I could care less about that.. I paint the top side white so they stand out. They fly so much better than the Blade 400 stock blades.. and work for many helis out there.

yep these are the ones i have (errr....had ). was going to cut them down for use on my cp2 glad i didn't.

you know me ....if it's cheap i want it... they flew fine...just wrecked easier than i expected.

btw go look at dx...they have some new carbon varieties

now i have some weird hdx variety of plastic blades and they are truly indestructible...too bad the cnc ain't. (advice: when u get the urge to run out into the street at 3 am to fly, make sure that you know where all the black colored mail boxes are.......)

looks like i got a case of trex sticky collective.....very entertaining to fly with the bird randomly shooting up and down...but i know what the problem is and already fixed it once.

the plastic on these blades is so heavy that they left part of the blade open with only a sort of frame covered over by decals that are provided. very weird, but they fly ok. cheap as hell....$6. apparently you pay in head parts ( tho nothing has broken yet)

frac
Last edited by frac; Oct 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 12:53 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster

the only issue I have with DX it the time it takes to get the stuff......3 weeks....bummer
Old Oct 18, 2008, 01:43 PM
anarchist
Joined Jan 2008
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
the only issue I have with DX it the time it takes to get the stuff......3 weeks....bummer
it's because the commies are mad at you for all that regressive thinking

i like these blades. just expected them to last longer

frac
Old Oct 18, 2008, 02:03 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
In the case of blades, carbon ≠ durable.

For crash survivability, best bet is to stick with the all-plastics. The FRP carbon-plastics are a good compromise.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 02:43 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frac
it's because the commies are mad at you for all that regressive thinking

frac