Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:09 AM
Big Aerial Mission Flyer
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Discussion
Electric Motor Calculators

I have been using both Electricalc and the Neu Motor Calculator to do some Propulsion analysis for the RC aircraft I am building.

The Neu Motor calculator is great, but it only shows me the efficiency at the max amp draw. I would like to input an amount of current, and see what the efficiency is. Does anyone know of a program that I can use to do this?

Also, I am pretty sure that the Neu Motor calculator assumes you are at standard sea level. Since I will be flying at over a 5,000ft density altitude, is there a program that can adjust for the change in density?

I have also noticed there is a large discrepancy between Electricalc and the Neu Motor calculator. Which one should I trust?

Thanks again,
Aerospacepilot
aerospacepilot is offline Find More Posts by aerospacepilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:56 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606703
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 17, 2008, 03:25 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,179 Posts
Motocalc and Drive Calculator have inputs for altitude and air temperature.

The NeuMotors calculator is a customized version of pcalc (which is based on Chuck Gadd's Electric Motor Calculator). Some of the math in pcalc is not quite right, but the results are usually close to other calc programs when using the same parameters.

The biggest source of error in any calc program is inaccurate input data. Drivecalc is probably the most accurate at calculating static performance because it uses independent bench test measurements, rather than motor and prop 'constants' (which often have dubious pedigree). Unfortunately that also means that it has a limited range of motors and props to choose from.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Oct 18, 2008, 01:43 AM
BEX
South Africa
Joined Sep 2007
607 Posts
I have found this calculator to give accurate info on the E-flite power 60 motor
http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

I dont know if it has all the features of the other calculators.
BEX is offline Find More Posts by BEX