HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:14 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
Discussion
10 year old Model Slipways kit - Maggie M

Hi all,
I am going to be getting back into RC Scale boats over the winter. I have been out of it for 10 years.

I have the Model Slipways Maggie M kit. It has been in the box since I got it, 10 years ago !

I am wondering what problems may I encounter with the existing styrene/wood parts. Would still be usable? If the plastic sheets are deformed, can I place them on a low temp oven with some weight on them for a while to flaten them again?

What would your recommendations be for a motor, radio and esc?

Any pointers from someone that has already built this one? I did get a copy of the review posted at the Model Slipways site to use as pointers and they also have a "hint and tips" page with some good info.

I previously built a Kyosho Fairwind sail boat kit and the Artesania Latina Amsterdam kit, but it has been a while and I am pretty rusty.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ep scoot is offline Find More Posts by ep scoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:27 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
Wow, 100 views and not a single response. Maybe something I said? Or didn't say?

I will try to be more specific on the motor. The Model Slipways site recommends a Torpedo 500 motor. The problem is that I have not been able to find that at hobby shops in the US. Internet searches come up empty as well unless I hit the UK.

Could you please point me to a comparable motor sold here?

Thanks again.

D.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:43 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Hi Ep, just an assurance reply, you will get answers, the knowledgeable people probably have their attention somewhere else at the moment. I do work plastics but never really encountered what you described. I doubt that a low temp oven will solve the problem, I would think that you would also loose details (e.g. rivets, ribs, etc.) on the plastic when soft melting it that way! I dunno and have no alternative for you, sorry The 500 torpedo motor is probably compatible with all 500 type motors which turn from 10,000 to 16.000 rpmīs on 7,2 - 9,6volts. Once again canīt really help cause I donīt know the torpedo motor.

BTW welcome to the forum, you will find (if you have some patience) a lot of help here Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:58 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,840 Posts
that kit is still listed by model slipways, so parts should be available, if its just flat sheet better to just pick up so new stock...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:06 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,568 Posts
No reason for self doubt! Maybe no one around here has specific info on the Maggie M, which certainly looks like a nice enough model. And rather than us speculating on what you might find in the box, dive in and tell us what you see.

Motor: Be specific, MFA Como offers a wide range of motors and gearmotors with different ratios, need to know which one in order to suggest local equivalents. You can find lots of info on their sites at
http://www.modelflightaccessories.co...werpacks.shtml
and
http://www.mfacomodrills.com/

The UK stores, like Westbourne, are fine to deal with and ship reliably to the US- I've used several.

Their motors tend to be lower speed/lower current draw, good for scale operation... maybe equivalent to the Integy Lathe motors discussed elsewhere here.

Maggie M:

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:14 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
OK, good to know you are out there. I thought maybe it was my accent !
As far as patience, I have lots (father to a 5 and 7 year olds) ! LOL

Building this model is going to be sort of therapy. I got out of the hobby, sortly after I got this kit, about 9 years ago due to tragic circumstances. Long story. Just now I am gathering the courage to take it up again so I can't see myself going fast at all. I will have plenty of time to wait for answers and I am looking forward to building it. I got it because of all the good comments MS received way back then, and in reading recent posts here, it appears they are still a top notch outfit. Looking forward to talking with them should the need arise.

My goal is to have her done by the spring/summer next year and get my 7 year old son into "helping" me. That should be fun.

I will try to post pics of the progress, although I might be too embarrased to show you my efforts after seeing the quality work you guys are putting out.

Anyway, I will keep the questions coming as they appear.

Thanks, again,

D.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
D.,
Sorry, just haven't had a chance to look before. I've built the Maggie'. I like it. This company is VERY accommodating and unbelievably helpful compared to some. Parts will be no trouble.
As to the condition of the parts, they shouldn't be all that terrible. Be very conservative about applying heat! That's a quick way, but not exactly the best way of straightening out problems (all puns intended!). Best advice (from me) is to do a lot of 'thinking ahead'. Saves a lot of '!!!'s later. 'Model Slipways' recommendations are typically good as far as motors, etc, are concerned, and I haven't had any problems (that I haven't caused) using their 'stuff'. The 'Maggie' ain't a small boat! It does require some ballast and with it's weight, batteries make very nice ballast. I really don't think you'll have any big problems, but if you do, contact 'Model Slipways', or ask questions here or where ever.
Build that @#$ boat stand first! You will need it. Take your time and read ahead. Those deck openings are the 'pits' to work though, so do the inside stuff first, as much as you can. And the 'Maggie' ain't never gonna pull no skiers, so just be aware of that. Oh, the biggest problem I've had was with the net crane, and keeping it glued to the deck. 'Nuther one of those "my fault" thingys, but you might wanna think about that some.
- 'Doc

(If you change you mind, I would be thrilled to accept your 'Maggie' as a gift! ... Hold my breath, right?)

One other thing! I have no idea if the kit has changed in 10 years, so asking 'M.S.' first might be a good idea.
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:44 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,568 Posts
Crane: Sounds like a good example of thinking ahead, except you never know what to think about until it's too late!
Any item like that should be pinned or otherwise secured through the deck (and maybe even animated). But once you put the deck on, it might not be so easy. So look for items like that and build in supporting structure below before laying the deck down...
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,106 Posts
That's going to be a very nice boat to build....course I'm partial to trawlers anyway.
Can't wait for the story!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Oct 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
Well,
I got me our old kitchen table and some shelving and set up an area in the basement by our old computer. I will have to get me a wireless card to hook it up to the www. Then it should be a a fine set up.

The styrene sheets are not as bad as I originally thought. I have them on a shelf with some weights on top to flaten them and I think that will do it.

There is a bunch of white metal fittings separated in baggies. Each baggie is nicely marked, so you don't have to "hunt" down your parts.

The instruction booklet is thick ! For what I have read it is a good one also. I will have to read it ahead of time to make sure I don't get myself into trouble.

I also found a copy I made from a Model Boats 1993 review when the kit came out. Nice surprise.

And I also saw the invoice from The Modeler's Boatyard. I won't tell you what I paid for it back then. Let's just say inflation and currency exchage rates have taken its toll on pricing !

I did a search on the www for The Modeler's Boatyard and could not find it. Probably out of business? Too bad, as the guy was very nice.

I got to admit I am a little overwhelmed by it. I will have to take my time, and really, I am in no hurry. I was having a bit of a hard time just taking all my tools and the kit out of storage, where they have been for the last ten years. I do have lots of stuff though, so I can't see needing anything else other than paints and glues.

I will try to keep this thread going, if anything else as my own therapy.

Jerome, as far as the story, my 22 month old son died suddenly and unexpectedly during his afternoon nap while I was building a model boat (Amsterdam tug) 10 years ago. I took a break to check up on him and that is when I found him, blue face on his crib. I did CPR for a while until the paramedics arrived and took over. He never made it.

During the autopsy we were told he had an unknown heart defect. Its only symptoms, sudden death. Small consolation if you will. At least I knew it was not my fault and there was nothing I could have done. Still, it has taken me 10 years to face building models again. It helps that we had two more kids after our first one and they can now help build the model or play in the basement while I build it.

I expect some long buried memories to resurface while I work on Maggie, but it will be fine. Like I said, therapy.

I am very excited of taking the hobby up again !

Cheers.

D.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
LtDoc,
sorry mate, but I will not part with Maggie.

However, when I got it, the front of the hull had a small crack so MS sent me a new one. All the way from the UK. I had never worked with fiberglass and they told they will just send me a new one rather than send me materials to fix it. Great customer service !

I just looked at it again and wow, the crack is really small, maybe 1" long right on the bow. So, I have a hull (cracked) for the Maggie M if someone wants it for cheap, say $40, I don't know, you tell me what is fair. Twin Cities, MN metro area only.

D.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hackettstown, NJ
Joined Sep 2008
75 Posts
Hi D.

Welcome back to the hobby. I can see why you put off your build for so long, but I'm glad you got back to it.

Looking forward to watching the progress, remember take lotsa pictures.

Mike
NotSoOldSalt is offline Find More Posts by NotSoOldSalt
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:40 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
Thank you NotoOldsalt,
your avatar looks like the Artesania Latina's Amsterdam tug boat I built !
How do you like it?

D.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:29 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Oct 2008
34 Posts
Quick question.
I have never worked with fiberglass before.

Will 2 part epoxy adhere to the fiberglass? Do I have to rough it up with some 60 grit sand paper first?

All the glues I have ever used on my models have been superglues or epoxies. Let me know if I am missing on some other wonderful stuff out there

Thanks,

D.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:31 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,568 Posts
See several of the how-to's at http://wmunderway.8m.com/cont/cont.htm - main point being to de-wax and rough up the 'glass before using epoxy or other adhesives.