HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:22 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
666 Posts
Hi Michael

I may have gotten ahead of you in the build but you have me on quality. I like the lightening holes on the fuz sides. Neat work!

Chas http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newre...=1&p=10866801#
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:20 PM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
The lightening holes, yeah. I just bought a scroll saw so I've got to use it for something! I put the cut outs from the lightening holes in the palm of my hand, and I can hardly feel them there!

The scroll saw will really help when it comes to making the mast I think. It eats plywood really easily.

Michael.
captain stowed is offline Find More Posts by captain stowed
Old Nov 08, 2008, 06:37 AM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
A bit of progress over here, a few pics will tell the story. As you can see I've got a bit carried away with the horizontal stabiliser, as it's now full of holes and sporting some ribs. It didn't take all that long, and I think the result it worth it! I've also added frames and stringers to the lower side of the fuselage aft section, here to reduce weight here a bit as well. I didn't too much like the idea of sanding 1/2" blocks down to form the profile. I've noticed some have struggled getting enough hang angle so ruducing the weight at the back would help I figure.

One change I made was to the position of the rear gear block which I've moved closer to F4, just so the landing loads have somewhere to go.

I've also made a start on the 1.8" wire gear, and am really happy that I've managed to get the main parts to follow the plan almost exactly with not much more than a vise and a hammer! Sweet!

One question, you might be able to see the pic of my hinges that I've bought. they are dubro and the largest of the two sizes in my LHS, but the ones on the plan are much bigger. The photo is not all that good because I've had to sit the hinge on a servo to make it show up, and because it's closer it looks bigger. It's actually just 27 x 15mm overall. Do I have the wrong hinges?

Michael.
Last edited by captain stowed; Nov 08, 2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 07:41 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,903 Posts
Michael,
Please see attached photo of the Kavan hinges that I use, these are used on all my DAG's including my GT.
It would be a good idea to add some carbon or GF rods into your horizontal stab if you can. The reason being is that this will be the first piece of the gyro to contact the floor if it rolls over on take off and this happens to everyone. On my R1 this was the first thing to break, I then added some GF rods and its been ok ever since ...Ive destroyed the Fuz a few times but the stab is always ok (I may regret saying this!!) I have done this easy mod to all my gyros since then.
Just be careful with lightening holes it may lighten the gyro slightly but the loss in strength is probably far more significant.
Your making a sterling job on your build, keep up the great work and keep posting the photos!

Regards
Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 08, 2008, 07:42 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Michael,
That build is looking great! Very clean!

On the hinges....I've used those before too and they work fine. I think I used like 3-4 of them all side by side except for the middle where the bolt was. After you epoxy them in and let them dry, then drill a hole in the middle of each one and put in a toothpick to help hold them in place.

Keep up the good work!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 08, 2008, 09:02 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Sorry I drew that hinge too long. OOPS!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
Can anyone show me a pic of the front end of the R2 without covering? I figure that the axle box is intended to be sanded at it's ends to support the round shape at the front, and support the covering too, but the axle box per the plan isn't long enough to do this?

I have made a longer one anyway that is drying right now, so will I need it?

Michael.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
Also, can anyone show me what the tail end looks like in detail uncovered? I'm struggling to interpret the plan and if a fillet is requried between the fin and horizontal stabiliser. Fillets are not shown on the plan but the top rails just seem to end, going nowhere.

Thanks all for your help!

Michael.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
You are correct, I wnted the axle box longer so you can sand in the radius of the former.

Let me find some pics....

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Michael,
I deviated from my own plan!!! LOL! I did not ad the axle box and bolted the landing gear from the bottom. Sorry man.

Joe has some photos I believe.....he may chime in and or I will find his or Rich's photos.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Michael,
Here is a close up on the print at the horizontal stab. What needs to happen is to have filler pc. of balsa on the horizontal stab mounting base and then a wedge of balsa above that. The cross section of you see of the square in balsa laying cross ways so the horizontal stab can butt up against that. This will help getting the horizontal stab square.

I like using the filler pieces as it uses up small pieces of left over balsa and the pieces glued together adds strength.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:50 PM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Yeah, I figure I'll make a fillet as you describe. I'll probably cover it separately and install it after the covered tail parts get glued on.

Michael.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:10 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
OK. I am glad I could help out a little. Let me know if can help with anything else?

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:45 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Hope these help.
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:49 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003