SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:11 AM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
Build Log
The Captain's Dag R2 build

A build log eh? Never done one of those before, and since Rich suggested it, here goes.

I've had this little engine in my drawer since I finished flying my trainer a couple of years ago. It's an Enya 53 4S and it seems like such a crime to leave it unused, so I've been looking for a project for it for a while now.

The idea of a gyro came about while surfing RC groups while on one of my overseas trips. I stumbled across a review of the Flying Balsa PT kit review and my interest was sparked. I then came across the DAG, and in particular Rich's enlarged DAG and it's vids and I was sold. I sent off my money to aerobalsa for the plan of the R2 which is just the right size for my Enya 53 and a set of 20024RB blades as well since I've read good things about them and they can all be posted in the same tube with the plan

I've had a bit of experience many years ago building from plans and am really looking forward to the change from putting arf's together.

I have a bit of flying model fixed wing experience, but never a Gyro, so the DAG R2 will be my first! How hard can it be, right?

So here's the first pics. I will have to wait a bit before I start building since I'm going to get a Scroll saw first to save me the headache of cutting the ply parts by hand. This build is going to take a while too, since I can only spend time in my shed when all the planets align, but I will eventually get there. I'll use this thread to ask questions and document my progress so I hope this is of some use in the future to someone who wants to build a similar aircraft. I have a few little tweaks up my sleeve that might be a bit different too so stay tuned!

Michael.
captain stowed is offline Find More Posts by captain stowed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:31 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Welcome aboard Captain!

Im sure you will enjoy the build, pleasekeep us updated on your progress and any questions you may have just 'fire away'

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:42 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Welcome to the mad house Michael...

we are a very helpful lot, so you are in good hands.

Do you think you will have her finished for the summer in your country?

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:56 PM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
Summer ha! Thanks for making me smile, though to properly answer your question, no, it will not be finished by Summer. I've got another project that I need to finish first, and a big list of bits to buy. It will take 6 months at least I think, knowing the amount of time I'm "allowed" in the shed!

The reason I laugh is because in Sydney, you're not really limited by the seasons all that much. Any time is a good time to go flying as long as it's not chucking it with rain.

Just a small update, I've just upgraded my Futaba 9CAP with Spektrum module. Having never flown a gyro, do you think I will need a full range receiver, or will the Spektrum AR6100 (park flyer) do? All the vids I've seen of gyros show them flying pretty close in.

Michael.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:05 AM
Bedford Indiana
Joined May 2004
242 Posts
Michael...I will be following your build log with interest. The DAG is a worthy project. I don't know the range of a park flyer rx, but personally would most definitely use a full range receiver. I was looking at your photo of you Enya. I have yet to figure out why Enya put the glow plug in the front behind the prop. No question, I would get bit by that one! Good luck on your build. Hope you provide lots of progress photos.

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
Forensic Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Forensic Flyer
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:45 AM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
On the Enya 53: it's a question of compromises. Having the pushrods, cams and carb at the back make the engine easier to cowl in some applications. This means that the only place left for the plug is the front. Operating though must be via remote mount plug connector. I just use a wheel collar with a wire soldered on which clamps over the plug centre post. An earth wire from some other engine bolt and a stereo connector elsewhere on the fuselage. It's a bit of fiddling around to make, but connecting is much easier, neater and safer than a hot pocket any day.

Michel.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:24 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
Michel,
Keep us posted and we'll get you in the air! Take lots of pics of the build and ask lots of questions....we want you to be successful the first time!

Have fun!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
The DAG R2 I'm building shows direct control head actuation by two independent servos. One for roll, one for pitch. Looking over some of the older build threads of the R1 and R2 some have used the so called "load sharing" setup, which is basically placing the servo arms on the head at an angle and using elevon mixing to create pitch and roll. It seems to me that it would make more sense to have the load sharing setup, as the two servos should always see the same load. Plus it looks neater as one side is just a mirror image of the other. Can anyone share with me why the R2 has this independent setup? Further, would anyone like to share the geometry of the load sharing head so I can re-create it for my R2?

Michael.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 05:11 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Michael,
My advice would be to stick to the plan ...I know Dave uses the load share system and 'swears' by it, it works well infact very well and is very strong.
12 months ago I built my first DAG (the yellow one) and I went with the load share system head..if you look back at he begining of my build log you will see it. I couldnt get this system to work for me at the time and you may well of seen my first attempts on video of me trying to get airbourn after many emails and videos to Dave and countless repairs I switched to the 'normal' system and I was away.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786845

I would stick to the seperate system then once you have got some expereince in the air try it then.
I must make a video of my failures when I was learning to fly autogyros!

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:11 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Michael,
I took the load sharing option off the plans because there were so many who had never flown an autogyro along with had never mixed a Delta set up for the head. The easiest way to set up for a first time flying is to set up roll and direct pitch seperately as per the plan. Once you are up in the air and are used to the DAG and you want to get more adventurous.....explore the load sharing option as it will help with aerobatics. For now....stick to the plan.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Oct 31, 2008, 07:35 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
I'll second that. I think the load sharing was a great idea but keeping it seperate will make things a lot easier. Do have any pictures yet of your build?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 07:45 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Joe...........check your email
Old Nov 03, 2008, 04:46 AM
One More Chuck
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
309 Posts
MAN! Chas is kicking my butt at the moment, I've got such little to show, but for what it's worth, this is the progress I made last night waiting for the coverage of the F1 to start. Go Lewis!

One thing that I've noticed is that the templates for N1 and N2 do not line up with the outline on the plan, so if you're reading this and have not started yet, use the side fuselage view to trace N1 and N2.

Also, at the last minute I noticed the right thrust angle, so I've sanded that into the RH frame before i glue it all together.

Thanks all for responding on the load share head question. I'll take your advice and set it up per the plan. Maybe I'll try it later after I've had my first successful gyro flight!

Went shopping today as well and so have some more bits to go on with. All I need now is the time!

Michael.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 07:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
Hey Michael,

Your build is looking awesome! Very clean and light. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the fuse together.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 08:08 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Loking good Michael!!!

Dave