SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2008
152 Posts
Discussion
Push Tug Build

Hi there. I have returned with my push tug. I did have a thread called "Homemade Hulls" but that came to a halt as I was stuck with the window frames. But now! I have returned with the same hull beginning to look very different.

This is what it looked like last........

I have scrapped the balsa wheelhouse and gone for clear plastic which will be sprayed, and have also made some changes to the hull. Here are some pictures of it at the mo. I have built a box around the rudder area like many push tugs which will allow me to increase the height of the water line even more, without flooding the inside of my boat. I have put new stuffing tubes in. Built new rudders which are larger. I have trimmed the front giving it a small flat front and a large diagonal piece. I have also made the rectangle hole for reaching the electronics smaller by adding a small bit of balsa which has been glued on the deck, and I have also scrapped the tow knees. The new wheelhouse will also be glued to the hull and I will be able to access the electronics by lifting off the roof of the decond deck.

Michael
Michael Pardy is offline Find More Posts by Michael Pardy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:51 AM
Joined Apr 2008
152 Posts
This was my original thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887751
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:17 AM
Joined Sep 2008
133 Posts
Very cool I want one so bad I can taste it
saltyNscaler is offline Find More Posts by saltyNscaler
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Cool! Sounds like a good plan and looks like a very good start. Here is one that I built from scratch, I started on about this time last year. She weighed 85lbs. ready to go in the water and is 4ft long and a width of 16". Do a search for "Scratch Built River Tow" here on the forums and you'll find the whole build.
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Last edited by boat_builder; Oct 16, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,777 Posts
If your looking to build a towboat check out plans from Towboat Joe. Decent plans at a reasonable price.

http://www.towboatjoe.com/plans.htm

I have a Chuck Steffen hull and deck for a bucket boat. I'm using the Joey Carol plans as a reference for details.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
597 Posts
Michael, Towboat is looking good. Are you going with the same wheel house design as the original or are you changing that up? Just curious, what are the dimensions of the hull? Since you are building up the rudder box, are you going to go with the full rudder setup, 1 stern rudder and 2 flankers, or are you leaving it the same as the original with just 1 flanker?

Prins, Are you modeling the Joey Carol or just using the plans as reference to design your own. Just curious as i built the Joey Carol (well didn't quite finish, now redoing the hull). would like to see other's Joey Carol if they are out there.
mitchlandry is online now Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:59 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,777 Posts
I'm using the plans as reference for door & window size and placement, deck fittings, etc. It won't be the Joey Carol. I know some modelers that have a problem with "freelancing" and believe all models should be of a full scale prototype. We have had a couple of spirited discussions in our club on this topic. I follow blueprints in my job all week, so building from off the top of my head is enjoyable for me. I like to just build what appeals to me at the time, kinda like how an artist paints or sculpts, not that my models could be called art.

The towboat is a ways down on the build list and I have to get over to the Mississippi River (does anybody else play the song in their head when they spell Mississippi?) to shoot some pictures. Nice thing about where I live is there is abundant reference resources.

Michael, great job on the towboat. They are an easy and fun build with allot of possibilities, just look at the popularity of springers. Keep the pics and info coming.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
152 Posts
I still going to use 1 stern and 1 flanker rudder. However I will give them more control throw as my last setup had control throws at the minium. It turned very sharply however. The wheelhouse is going to be differen't. A shorter deck wheelhouse, slightly 1/3 shorter second deck + another wheelhouse ontop of that.

This is the model I am basing it on (by Toeboat Joe, he gave me a CD of his models with the Flanking rudder he sent me)