Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
e-flight for me
England
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Discussion
wot 4 conversion works a treat

Hello,
Many of you will know of the Chriss Foss Wot 4.
I have had a few and they are a great general sport model. To this day over 30 years after the first ones were built every club in the UK has one or more in the members line up.

I decided to use an old one that was fuel soaked to test a power combination prior to building a small aerobat for f3a practise. The end result is so much fun that I have shelved the aerobat idea for a while and am flying the electric wot4 every outing.

I am using an axi 41 20 14 with 5c lipo and performance is blistering. Easily as good as it was on the saito 72 that used to sit up front making a noise and coating everything with slime.

Anyone want more info and pics and I will post the pic of the mod which allows easy battery access.

Regards
Al.
phoebelala is offline Find More Posts by phoebelala
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Al
That's neat - they are cropping up now as electrics - wonder what dear old Chris F thinks of this 'progress'?

I always fancied an electrocuted AcroWOT - that is one seriously sexy and capable sports aerobatic model. Still idly ponder on finding a kit on one of our forays back home...

Looking forward to your piccies - especially on how you did the battery hatch thing on a high winger.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
e-flight for me
England
Joined Jun 2006
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
Hi Al
That's neat - they are cropping up now as electrics - wonder what dear old Chris F thinks of this 'progress'?

I always fancied an electrocuted AcroWOT - that is one seriously sexy and capable sports aerobatic model. Still idly ponder on finding a kit on one of our forays back home...

Looking forward to your piccies - especially on how you did the battery hatch thing on a high winger.

Regards

Dereck

Hi Derek,
I will post some pics. Airframw has a crazy colour scheme as it was brought out of its resting place in the loft and pressed into service. Used ods and ends for the covering but the result is very nice I think. Certainly attracts comments when I take it to other sites.
Acro wot is a great aircraft as is the extra wot which is a bigger version as you will no doubt be aware.

Al.
phoebelala is offline Find More Posts by phoebelala
Old Oct 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
455 Posts
Yup, got a WOT4 setup with:

Towerpro 3520-7 Motor
Towerpro 70A ESC
5s 4000mah lipo's.

Setup is ballistic with an APC 12x6 prop, drawing only 27A at full throttle. Best flying plane I've ever had!

Electric WOT4 (1 min 32 sec)
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Old Oct 16, 2008, 02:32 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
Hi Al
That's neat - they are cropping up now as electrics - wonder what dear old Chris F thinks of this 'progress'?...
He seems to be endorsing it! Check out the fourth paragraph down on the News page on his web site http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/business.htm
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,550 Posts
Good job Al - you can't have too many electric Wot-4s.

Been flying mine for about 4 years now and really enjoying the model. Just the same as she was with the OS .40SF and the one model that always goes to the field. I'm thinking of moving to A123s, though I suspect it'll need some chrurch roof as well.

Here's the thread I started a while back on the conversion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=twister

IIRC Chris Foss even has some conversion details for electrifying the Acrowot and Uno-Wit, which I'm definitely going to get around to soon.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,452 Posts
Wot-4 is one model I never had -- there were too many in our club But I'm trying to persuade other club members to convert theirs.

I'm sure I saw Chris Foss's e-conversion kit on his web site a while back, but I can't find it now.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I have memories of nearly every UK club I came in contact with had, someplace, a set of WO4 templates! Some kind member would have bought the model, then traced around all the wood parts, plus the wing root and tip sections.

That lot, the club's handy foam core cutting member and there's an eternal source of WotNots... As I recall Chris F enriching lawyers to stomp out some clone kits in the 1980s - one was mostly different from the original by having four wheels instead of a taildragger UC!

My usual bloodymindedness suggests an AcroWOT - the ginourmous one wouldn't fit my car, even if I could afford the battery pack - with my usual built-up fuselage framework and a D box balsa/spruce wing frame. Five pounds RTF, 700W into a 15 x 10 sound okay? Snag is, even getting a kit shipped to the US VAT free amounts to around $160.00 plus shipping costs, never mind that I'd be drawing up a one-use plan, and I aren't sure I want one that much.

Good to see that these great models are still around as kits and haven't yet turned into featureless BARFs

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck