HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IH8VTEC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:48 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,250 Posts
Discussion
Where to watch full scale rockets launch in Ventura Co. CA? **launch video**

I'm interested to see a full scale rocket launch and seem to be pretty close to an ideal place. I live on the border of Ventura and LA counties not too far away form Vandenberg AFB. I caught one rocket launch years ago while I was driving down into Camarillo and haven't seen one since. I checked this website for rocket launches and one is scheduled for Oct 24. My question is: Where is a good place to go to watch the launch? I've been driving around the Malibu canyons and farmland of Camarillo to find a spot away from city lights where I could park on the side of the road or rest spot and maybe set up a chair and tripod. I know nothing of rockets and their trajectory from this base other than It's a Delta II and is supposed to be one of the most visible.
I found this website and it looks like I am well within range to see any launch weather permitting. http://www.spacearchive.info/vafbview.htm
I asked the question in the rocket forum but thought it would get more exposure here.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Last edited by IH8VTEC; Oct 25, 2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:54 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,250 Posts
successful launch

launch video
I found a spot, the launch happened and I got some of it on tape.
For those that care, here is the play by play. start from the bottom.
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d336/status.html
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Nov 08, 2008, 07:02 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
Check out the Shuttle!

I don't mean to downplay your launch but if you want to see a spectacular launch, come to the east coast and watch the shuttle take off at night like I did for the first time last December...WOW!

The sight and sound was unbelivable!

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is online now Find More Posts by dlazarus6660