HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,833 Posts
I like the 11x8 on the electrostik. I liked it on the stock rimfire as well as on my 4S Turnigy set up. I have never used a electrofly ESC, so I don't know much about them.

If you have a 40C pack it is possible to get 45amps static.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Thanks Rick

The prop was on right, but the battery was fully topped up. I tried it again with the batt at ~75% and got 45A, 500W. I guess I'm OK to use the 11x8.5E since I won't be WOT much. Perhaps the 11x8E would be optimum.

Seems like the ESC arms on it's own schedule. Sometimes it plays "dead" for a while.

I tried to fly it, but couldn't keep it straight on the runway. Would veer right at about 10 kts. It was the only time I've ever been the only one at the field, so no experienced help was available.
ranger7 is offline Find More Posts by ranger7
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:36 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
I'm selling one in the Cleveland, Oh area if anyone is interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387078
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Nov 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger7 View Post
Thanks Rick

The prop was on right, but the battery was fully topped up. I tried it again with the batt at ~75% and got 45A, 500W. I guess I'm OK to use the 11x8.5E since I won't be WOT much. Perhaps the 11x8E would be optimum.

Seems like the ESC arms on it's own schedule. Sometimes it plays "dead" for a while.

I tried to fly it, but couldn't keep it straight on the runway. Would veer right at about 10 kts. It was the only time I've ever been the only one at the field, so no experienced help was available.
I should probably leave this to someone who knows what he's talking about, so take it for whatever it's worth, but: If the plane is new, and is bought from a real hobbyshop (ie. with people having knowledge about the stuff they sell), I would let them have a look at it because:

- Overloading the ESC is not good. Even if you don't use WOT at all, it may still overload. The reason is that that the ESC controls the motor by pulsing the supply current - on, off, on, off and so forth. And when it's on, it's fullly on, no matter what the position of your throttle stick is. So even if the mean current draw at some throttle setting is eg. 15A, the peak current may still be 50A. Have a look in the power system section, and you'll find a lot of information on this. A manufacturer such as Kontronik (which I assume most will recognize as high quality) says in their manuals that part load is OK as long as you make sure WOT current with the given propeller stays within the ESC's maximum current.

- An unreliable ESC is bad in itself. If it fails to initialize consistently, I would consider it unreliable. If the ESC smokes, the motor stops for sure, but it may also smoke the built-in BEC in the process, and no BEC means a dead receiver. The Electro Stk is a great RC plane but I assume it's a terrible free flight plane.

- I don't know why your motor pulls a higher current than normal, but I suppose it could be possible you have gotten one with a bit higher kv due to production tolerances or bad QA. Higher kv > more rpm's > higher current.

As said, I would suggest having the whole power system checked. If not, at least prop down so you'll stay within the ESC specs no matter what battery and what throttle setting you're using.

Edit, just an afterthought: is it possible to adjust the ESC's timing? Too advanced timing may lead to increased current draw, but I don't know how much this could amount to. I'm sure the ESC is supposed to be shipped with a suitable default setup, but as we all know; errors do happen...
knutb is offline Find More Posts by knutb
Last edited by knutb; Feb 11, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:39 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,833 Posts
I got a hopped up Electrostik in mint condition for sale. RxR $175

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418394
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:47 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
I LOVE my Electrostik. At first I tried and tried to get a 3s lipo setup that I liked... no dice. Almost sort of liked it on a Turnigy 42-40-950 with a 12x8x3 prop, but still not what I wanted. I didn't check how many watts it was drawing, but the motor got pretty warm. I switched to a 42-50-800 motor from valuehobby.com with an 11x8.5x3 prop and a 4s 3300mAh lipo and it is AWESOME! Takeoff roll is probably 15 feet max (in tall, bumpy, long grass). It has unlimited vertical. I mean unlimited as in you can do rolls the whole way up until you can almost not see it anymore. It flies slow and lazy at about 40% throttle and just screams at wide open. With this setup, it is the plane I was looking for. It has a wide speed envelope, is fairly aerobatic, and landings are easy. I had to add an ounce of weight at the tail, but I am thinking of moving the servos back there so I can eliminate the dead weight. I also positioned the ESC just rear of the bottom vents to help counter balance a heavy battery and motor. LOVE this plane.

My only complaint is the tail wheel. That assembly needs to go away. I have a Super Sportster EP and that has a durable, useful, intelligent tailwheel design that I would like to see on my stik.
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddis View Post
I LOVE my Electrostik. At first I tried and tried to get a 3s lipo setup that I liked... no dice. Almost sort of liked it on a Turnigy 42-40-950 with a 12x8x3 prop, but still not what I wanted. I didn't check how many watts it was drawing, but the motor got pretty warm. I switched to a 42-50-800 motor from valuehobby.com with an 11x8.5x3 prop and a 4s 3300mAh lipo and it is AWESOME! Takeoff roll is probably 15 feet max (in tall, bumpy, long grass). It has unlimited vertical. I mean unlimited as in you can do rolls the whole way up until you can almost not see it anymore. It flies slow and lazy at about 40% throttle and just screams at wide open. With this setup, it is the plane I was looking for. It has a wide speed envelope, is fairly aerobatic, and landings are easy. I had to add an ounce of weight at the tail, but I am thinking of moving the servos back there so I can eliminate the dead weight. I also positioned the ESC just rear of the bottom vents to help counter balance a heavy battery and motor. LOVE this plane.

My only complaint is the tail wheel. That assembly needs to go away. I have a Super Sportster EP and that has a durable, useful, intelligent tailwheel design that I would like to see on my stik.
I got rid of the tail wheel first thing. I went with a tail skid.

I don't spend much time on the ground
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
160 Posts
Electrostik Discussion / Modifications

Hi All,

I just finished my maiden with a recently purchased electrostik... It went well accept for a proplem with the esc... It gets very hot... I am in Dallas, Texas.. in a hot summer... but today was less than 100 degrees.. the holes on the front of the firewall seem to small for adequate ventilation.. I brought the plane in for a landing to check and see that the battery wasnt' shifting after just a couple minutes.... The esc was so hot that I quit for about a half hour.

Next, I took off with the battery compartment lid all the way off. The plane flew fine, but the ESC was still very hot after another 5minute flight... My plane is a stock... Receiver Ready Electrotik... I have the stock 11x8.5 Prop with the Silver Series Electrofly 45/60 amp esc... I am using a 3300Mah 3cell 20C battery.

I did notice in the manual that you have to put the throttle full forward and then to off to activate the throttle with the rimfire system. It's ok with me... another safety feature.

The plane required very little trim but it did feel a little sensetive on the controls for my taste till I'll switched to low rates from high on the elevator.. I couldn't tell a lot of difference on the aileron settings. I haven't attempted rolls, loops, stall turns, chandeles, etc ..

Has anyone else had a problem with the Silver Series 45amp ESC getting too hot.. One time I thought it lossed a little power momentarily... but I wasn't sure ... I landed immediately and gave the plane a rest to cool... I am considering a few things....Air Scoops to increase circulation, on the sides , maybe the bottom?, and changing the ESC to a 50 or 60amp ESC...

It seemed to land a little fast today.. is that what everyone else is experiencing... I don't have individual ailerons with the stock setup and have not yet put another aileron servo on... Maybe I'll do that and have flaperons for landing .. What has everyone else done to their Electrostiks....

Thanks for any help.. and discussion
Maq
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
I have never used the Electrifly ESCs, but I am using a completely different power setup. Mine is a Chinese 42-50-800kv motor with an 11x7 prop, a Turnigy Trust 70A ESC and 4s 3300mAh battery. So yeah, I went way overkill on the ESC.

I did not set mine up with factory recommended control throws; I just set mine up to move as much as they can without binding or running in to something. Then I programmed some expo to soften it up a little. Without expo, I can see how this plane on high rates would feel sensitive.

As to the landing speed, mine lands SLOOOWWWW. But then again, my other planes roughly this size are a Deuces Wild and an Escapade so yeah... comparatively, the stik crawls to the runway.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
160 Posts
neddis,

Have you found it necessary to open the cowling of the Electrostik so that your ESC does not get too hot? The plane really does not have a lot of ventilation....aaaah.... I have other planes with little ventilation and the ESC's don't get this hot.... Either it is inherent in the characteristics of this particular ESC or I am over amping the power system and need a bigger ESC to handle the provided motor and recomended battery and prop.....

Besides, I flew the plane twice without the top on the cowling (battery lid off the top) and it got just as hot.............If I continue like this , one of these times the ESC will fail in flight...

Maq
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
No, I haven't needed to open it up at all, but I used an ESC that is rated for 30A over what I am using. I have seen people add air intakes by cutting the front edge off of a plastic spoon and using that as an air scoop. I just haven't needed to do that with mine.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:33 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
One of the very experienced flyers at our club flys one and he prefers it to the E-Flite Ultra Stick 25 that I have. Sounds like you got a lemon. My guess is that, if you hadn't needed to straighten out the covering, you might have just put it in the air and flown it and enjoyed it.

I think the manufacturers have a tendency to recommend COG on the nose heavy side. They will get fewer crashes, complaints and returns than they would with tail heavy models. I also think they tend to recommend components that underpower the models in order to keep costs lower. Most of my ARF's fly better with a COG that is a little further aft and with a little more juice.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:26 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
I wonder if a servo is drawing too much power - does it get hot just sitting still on the ground? I think I read awhile back though that the ESC (and definately the servos) are not the best....you'd have to search this thread - I'm unsure about the ESC.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
I picked up a zillion ideas here. Dusty was right on a bunch of things. The landing gear plate would not have survived it's first landing the way I fly. I epoxied in a new piece of birch ply and bought a spare landing gear off a U-
Can-D from Tower. More prop clearance for grass flying.

For servos I use HiTec HS 225mg. For the battery I fly only A123's. 4 cell pack for this plane. Motor is a S-3014-18 Scorpion. Esc is a CC Phoenix 45.

The elcheapo stuff drives me nuts with problems. I got burnt and never looked back. Buy the best and a year from now you will have forgotten what you paid. By cheap and you get to buy twice.

If there is a better plane then this one I have yet to fly it. Almost forgot- Don't read the instruction on throw settings. I did and almost had a fly a way. Wouldn't turn in the wind. They need to correct the manual.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
Just saw this plane on a show where they shoot guns. They bought one plane (German fighter - small foamie) but didn't build it right and it crashed. So then they tried this plane. Flew fine, but the landing gear fell off when they laned (fast and hard) - too funny.
The plan to shoot at the plane with 4 guns that they connected together. Hope nobody lives within a few miles!
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block