Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Discussion
giant scale down east

this is another hull I have, I also have the mold. I planed on selling them as flower planters but also think they may be a viable R/C situation. so I am posting these pics with the hope that pepole could post there ideas on how to build them, sort of like a virtual build, also,what do you guys think they would be worth? they can be built with a gel coat exterior or bare glass ready for paint. any ideas on power and running gear would be appreciated.

P.S. My Son is there to give it some scale, it is 6' 2" long
CMEboston is offline Find More Posts by CMEboston
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
738 Posts
I made a few 4' tug hulls from my mold (long gone) but you sure have me beat! I'm looking for a winter project and maybe you have the answer.

What's the nominal thickness of your hulls? Are they thick enough to be self-supporting or would framing be required?

Did you make your plug and mold?

No idea what you could sell the hulls for. I haven't laid up a hull for about 20 years so I don't know the price of materials. I do know there's a lot of work involved.

Ed
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Last edited by A-37; Oct 14, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:37 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
How much would they sell for as planters? It's a nice looking hull and would be ideal for a tug or a fishing type boat and even a cabin cruiser. Shipping would be a problem though. Be pretty expensive I would think. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
I bought the mold from the original builder and have the master plug. he only made one hull. I figure i would ask $350 as a planter and lay it up minus the keel so plant roots can grow in the soil. as far as a full keeled hull with gel finish and 3 layers of glass mat mabye $650? I gotta figure out exactly how much it costs to make one, I see half hull window planters that are 38" long going for $270 so I may be a little on the low side. the hull is self supporting and does not need framing(the top cap helps too). shipping is not that bad, It is smaller and lighter than a 25KW open array radar and I ship them from time to time.

keep the replies coming
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:12 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Could be pushing a grand with shipping but that may not be too much for a boat that size. It's not so much the weight as it is the length. That's where they get ya on the freight. I sell flags and one of the poles I sell is over six feet. I have to order twelve at a time to get a decent price per pole and they are fiberglass poles and don't weigh much at all. I think twelve costs about $60 from Indiana. Maybe ten or twelve pounds.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
It would make a really cool and big steam launch.

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,866 Posts
Man, if I was that little skipper I would be really P/O'd if Daddy didn't make me a working lobster boat to go ride around in!

How much ballast do you guys figure? I figure 200 to 300 pounds.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone
It would make a really cool and big steam launch.

Steve
Now there's a great idea!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
little skipper has a 233 formula to fish in!!!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
i dont think she will need 200 lbs of ballast, Id think around 50? i could easily float here to see. im trying to think of a place I could hide a group 24 lead or gel battery and was thinking of powering her with a gear reduction auto engine starter.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:57 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
shipping to beverly hills from boston comes to $231.00 through the NMEA I can get up to 25% off shipping with DHL and up to 70% with UPS but i would have to read the fine print.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:50 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Why not sell it as a row boat?
DaveMainzone is offline Find More Posts by DaveMainzone
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:02 AM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
I think it is a little small for a row boat. she is 24" wide. I kina wish she was about 4 feet rather than 6, but ....it is what it is.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:23 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEboston
I think it is a little small for a row boat. she is 24" wide. I kina wish she was about 4 feet rather than 6, but ....it is what it is.
How wide are small canoes ? Splice two together and have a 12 foot canoe

BTW, I have 12 foot glass hull which is a look alike
DaveMainzone is offline Find More Posts by DaveMainzone