Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
Subscribed as well
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
426 Posts
Thank you flyenrw!!! your pics are very usefull!! I just ordered it from CML in the UK:

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000003876

It's a pity for the wheel detail, they could be a bit better than the stock ones, but as you said with a bit of personal work......
I am planning to mount an AXI or a Hyperion.....
It could be nice with a 3 blades prop.

tusk91 have you shot a clip of your flight?

Tell us more when you have time!!
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Last edited by panamarenko; Jan 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:59 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Ultrafly SR 22

Your welcome Panamarenko!

Since this plane is so new, there isn't much about it yet.
When I spotted CML, I thought you might order from them! Their pictures show the plane well from all angles.

I have other pictures if there is a view that anyone would like to see.

You can go to jetphotos.net for many pictures of the full scale, to include the exact color scheme that Utrafly has used.

Here is the link:

http://jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?...rus%20SR22-GTS

As a European, you must be familiar with VarioProp

http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html

Here in the States, I have included the local supply where I have purchased this product before.

http://www.e-flightline.com/varioprop.htm

VarioProp, have a three blade hub and spinner available.
If you're looking for a scale WOW factor, it is most ideal for this model!

From what I have read, the suggested three blade choice is established by dropping the diameter of a two blade by one and keeping the pitch the same.

The suggested two blade props for this plane are between 9X6-----10X7, Highly recommending you don't drop the pitch too low.

My thoughts were to use the 10X7 ( 2 ) blade as a base choice for a ( 3 ) blade 9X7. Since speed effiency is somewhat reduced with 3 blades, thrust is actually more.

FAA has not rated the full scale for stall spin! Though this model's wing is not the design of the full scale it is still my caution to fly this plane with the recommended speed to be kept up.

I feel the larger prop and pitch, can always be cut back and I'll add, easily with the Vario prop, if needed. This saves on an inventory of props and allows you to dial in the best combo for the plane.

I'm going to use VarioProps product for the scale appearance and the multi-pitch option the hub provides. If you don't like the way the plane pulls though the air, tweek the hub to a diffent pitch, fly it again!

VarioProp have a sport and speed blade choice, but no scimitar. I'm going to get both, but I lean towards the speed blade.
flyenrw is offline Find More Posts by flyenrw
Last edited by flyenrw; Jan 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Man, that's a beautiful setup from vario: which one is "right" for the Ultrafly motor (f/18/10, I think)?

I looked but couldn't figure it out.
hymyankel is offline Find More Posts by hymyankel
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
VarioProp Hub, Ultrafly motor spec's

Hello, hymyankel

To find what works best, start with manufacture recommendations.
Ultrafly wants this plane to be flown with 350 watts.
The Ultrafly F/18/10 motor at that rating, suggests a prop rang of
9X6----------10X7, ( to be changed when adding multi-blade hubs ).
An inline watt meter is a useful way of measuring how props effect this watt rated range, when pitch and diameter are changed . this mechanically effects the electrical load, increasing or decreasing wattage used.
Although this is a static test, generally it is close.
In the air, performance can significantly be effected by drag of the airframe or the ability of the motor to meet it's maximum output by forward unrestricted motion.
It is trial and error to some extent, using guidelines specified by factory spec's.
Temperature gauges work well to measure motor and battery temperature effected by excessive electrical loads or not.
Generally, when the correct electrical and mechanical balance is found, temperatures stay within spec's.
Ultrafly F/18 /10 Maximum input Power 350, maximum RPM 15,000, Maximum temperature 100/ C
Using a meter and temperature gauge, stay within those spec's. Also check the spec's of the battery used!
The Shaft size of the Ultrafly F/18/10 is 4mm, so for the VarioProp hub, you will want the 4mm, 8B 3 blade Hub, as it takes the blade diameter sizes needed for the Ultrafly motor.
I hope this was useful
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Ultrafly SR22

All basic installation finished for my SR 22.
I did one small modification to hold the cowl on, using an inside cowl attachment. Details of that are shown in the pictures.
I'll also be changing the control linkage to custom ball joints and clevis attachments.
Other than that, this is a simple plane to assemble and parts fit has been good.
I had a couple parts received in my kit, incomplete. With an E-mail sent to Hobby People, where purchase was made, thier response was excellent and accommodating. Within three business days I had my replacement parts in hand.
Last edited by flyenrw; Nov 08, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
426 Posts
It's really nice looking flyenrw! good idea for the cowl.
Next step are: LED lights?, scale wheel gears?.......
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Very nicely done flyenrw. Thank you for the pictures. I like the cowl mod but how are you able to turn the screws? Is there enough room through the holes in the front? What parts were incomplete?
WhenPigsFly is offline Find More Posts by WhenPigsFly
Old Feb 11, 2009, 01:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenrw
All basic installation finished for my SR 22.
I did one small modification to hold the cowl on, using an inside cowl attachment. Details of that are shown in the pictures.
I'll also be changing the control linkage to custom ball joints and clevis attachments.
Other than that, this is a simple plane to assemble and parts fit has been good.
I had a couple parts received in my kit, incomplete. With an E-mail sent to Hobby People, where purchase was made, thier response was excellent and accommodating. Within three business days I had my replacement parts in hand.

WHAT WAS NOT IN THE KIT? I'll be pulling mine out based on your reply! Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Ultrafly SR 22

Thank's guys,
the real appreciation goes to Ultrafly for making this model look so good with so little effort!
Yeah you gotta get the decals on straight! tweek the landing gear wire, center the empanage, Fuss a little here and there, but that's it!
ARF's are entering a new era, as technology allows simpler design and building methods.
The model plane's right wing was received without the wing attach tab installed and the cockpit glass ( plastic ) right rear window was cracked.
As mentioned, customer service was great and responded quickly with replacement parts!
I plan to make land gear strut covers, nothing too elaborate, but enough to leave the impression.
Lights, oh yeah babe, lights!
Gotta have lights! I have a set of lights by MPI. Should do the trick!

I'll be making some antenna's for the cabin top, exhaust pipes, out lines for flaps and doors hatches, non-skid plates for the wing, fastener detail by Pro Graphics, and later down the line I'll start adding a cockpit.
The Ultimate 1 1/2" spinner I had custom made for another model by
Tru-Turn.
I have been trying to make contact E-flightline, to buy the 3 blade VarioProp and spinner.
The Tru-Turn looks real good on the nose.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Ultrafly SR 22

WhenPigsFly,
I missed answering your question on how to attach the cowl!
The wood inside the cowl is enough to hold the screws in place before attaching the cowl. Same screws used for the outside were used inside.
Slide the cowl on until it hits the rings inside, then enter the cheek holes in the front of the cowl with a longer screw driver to tighten the screws.
The wood was shaped from a rectangle of lite-Ply copying the inside basic shape first, Sand and check, sand and check.............. glued in place with epoxy. When parts werefinished, I mated the two to pre-drill the holes.

In the Movie Aviator, when ( Leonardo DiCaprio )Howard Hughes, was running his hands along the fuselage side and saying , I want it smooth!!

My thoughts were, those big screw heads sticking off like carrot tops, gotta go. I want it smooth!! At least it helps to keep some scale sense. I'll add a few more full scale pictures.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenrw
Thank's guys,
the real appreciation goes to Ultrafly for making this model look so good with so little effort!
Yeah you gotta get the decals on straight! tweek the landing gear wire, center the empanage, Fuss a little here and there, but that's it!
ARF's are entering a new era, as technology allows simpler design and building methods.
The model plane's right wing was received without the wing attach tab installed and the cockpit glass ( plastic ) right rear window was cracked.
As mentioned, customer service was great and responded quickly with replacement parts!
I plan to make land gear strut covers, nothing too elaborate, but enough to leave the impression.
Lights, oh yeah babe, lights!
Gotta have lights! I have a set of lights by MPI. Should do the trick!

I'll be making some antenna's for the cabin top, exhaust pipes, out lines for flaps and doors hatches, non-skid plates for the wing, fastener detail by Pro Graphics, and later down the line I'll start adding a cockpit.
The Ultimate 1 1/2" spinner I had custom made for another model by
Tru-Turn.
I have been trying to make contact E-flightline, to buy the 3 blade VarioProp and spinner.
The Tru-Turn looks real good on the nose.
Both of my wings have a "tab," with a hole in it, and a tube near the leading edge: is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Many thanks flyenrw for the reply and pictures. Smooth is nice but I'll have the see if I want to spend the time or just fly.
WhenPigsFly is offline Find More Posts by WhenPigsFly