Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
Video
McClain Wing Cores MCW 48"

Hey folks

Here is the maiden of my 48" McClain Wing Cores.

All I can say is - wow! another fantastic model designed by Jeff

I opted to change this over to a tower pro set up to try to see how the old Wild Wing "gizzards" would fit in something a little more upscale instead of the monster power and speed of a rite wing.

The plane flies better than I expected, handled wind of 17+ mph without a hitch and was very very maneuverable, especially in consideration that my rates were dialed down to 45% for the first flight!

CG was set at 7" and the tower pro motor was set up with an APC 8X4 prop, 30 amp esc and 3s 2400 3s pack (right out of my wild wing.).

The airplane was not a barn door burner but the acceleration and climb were out of control...man - these tower pro motors pack some torque!

I was very impressed by the slow speed handling and the ability of the airplane to be slowed back to thermal.

In the last flight of the day, I nailed a tight, fast boomer and rode it up to about 400'. Running a park GWS receiver, this was about the top of what I felt comfy with but the thing went right up in the lift with little effort!

Climbs were out of control - straight up and accelerating!

Top end with this set up was only about 45 - 55 mph at tops, the climbs were impressive and the maneuverability in the wind was the best of any of the wings I have flown yet!

The majority of the flights were done at 1/3 throttle except for climbs as the field was tight and the winds were honking!

My "pit crew" had a blast as this was the first time my girls (1.5 and 3) have come out to fly with me doing a test flight.

The reward for their great help and behavior was the play area at this great park my wife found for me to fly!

Thanks to Jeff for the great design!
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:16 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
utube video link

here is the video in youtube for those that have trouble with the link above:

This is the big full quality video - high bandwidth

mcClain Wing Cores MCW 48" (5 min 19 sec)

Flight report to follow with settings
Old May 24, 2009, 03:49 PM
Volcan, Panama
Joined Jun 2008
103 Posts
cores

What do Jeff's flying wing airfoils look like? Does the different sizes have the same airfoil? What are his airfoils intended to do? Speed, slow, all purpose. There is not much info on his site he does so many things.

Bratliff
bratliff is offline Find More Posts by bratliff
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:10 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
different cores for different jobs plus custom cores

Hey there

MWCORES.COM offers a large selection of different sized wing cores. From what I understand, Jeff took a base design then tweaked each of the wings for the application to yield best performance and handling.

I believe all have been thoroughly tested and flown on the slopes, many have been converted to E power, so far, with great success.

I have built and flown many different wings over the 25 years, starting with the older Robbie and graupner kits as well as old zagis. I have a Ritewing too as well as one of the Zagi Fixxs flying actively but none seem to capture my fun meter like the 36" and 48" MCWs.

All have their own personalities but few have been as consistent as these designs. The performance profile is more gauged to the sport performance flier so you can tweak the wing's performance as your skills increase.

They can be set up from basic power assisted thermal birds with a very light build to a rocket using a slightly heavier ..all depending on how much you want to spend on a power package.

I have flown the MCW 48 on a simple seven dollar towerpro motor on 3s and a GWS 8X4 prop with a 18 amp esc as well as with the AXI 2120-12 on an APC 8X8 thin E prop and a 3S Lipo pack.

With any of the setups, it flew consistently and perdictably.

The best part of all is the price of his kits.

Bang for the buck, these are the best deal in model aviation right now as he has priced "cadillac" quality materials and cutting at "chevy" prices!

I have several friends that have ordered in the past from Jeff and had nothing but rave reviews of the quality of his work. He takes a lot of pride in what he pumps out the door.

Phil
Last edited by pval3; Aug 24, 2009 at 03:19 PM.