HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2001, 05:27 PM
reynoldsburg Oh,43068.
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
What would be a good thermal glider for a beginner?

I have a gp spirit. It feels like a tank and I had to add about 2.5 oz. to the nose just to get it to balance. I have flown it and am not that impressed with the performance. My whindstar ep has alot more control authority. Do I have this ship too tail heavy. It is just 7mm behind the cg in the instruction book. Chris
ChrisFeole is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFeole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 06:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Do you like building? The Bird of Time is reported to be about the best kit out there. Otherwise, there are a lot of ARF's out there - the Filip from Hobby Lobby gets lots of attention..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 25, 2001, 06:57 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
My Spirit was a pretty nice flying airplane. It was plenty responsive for a R/E ship and had a wide c.g. range. I’d recheck your set-up before moving on to a new plane.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jun 25, 2001, 07:50 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
You want to change the wing? Get a hold of a Gentle/Sophisticated Lady wing and strap it on. My Spirit was good, stock, for windy conditions but became a real floater with the SL wing. Same CG, just changed the wing.

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jun 26, 2001, 07:03 PM
reynoldsburg Oh,43068.
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
What about a wing from a windstar from Thunder Tiger? I already have one of those.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 07:04 PM
reynoldsburg Oh,43068.
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
[Did you have to add alot of weight to the nose? to Fok thanks chris
Old Jun 26, 2001, 07:09 PM
reynoldsburg Oh,43068.
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
Thanks for all the help I do belive I should join a glider club, there is just so much to learn. How do you guys manage to fly with kids and work. Thats why I am really interested in thermal gliding. I can escape to the school yard with my plane DLG or High start and have fun. I just can't seem to get that first thermal under my belt.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 09:29 PM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
for a rank beginner get yourself a bowman's javiln, and mad aircraft highlander, a dave's handlaunch glider, a trick floater. do your self a favor and go epp for the first plane.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:38 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Yup, I had a pretty big chunk of lead in the nose. I don't know the weight, but it was about 1"x1"x0.3".

You might try dropping the nose and flying it a little faster. As Ray alluded, it's not a real floater like a Gentle Lady.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jun 27, 2001, 04:36 AM
Thisted, Denmark
Joined Jul 2000
257 Posts
ChrisFeole

You must be doing something wrong, a Spirit is a very very good plane. Iīve had one and it was the best termal hunter Iīve ever had. I made a second fuse with an e-motor and it became a Spectra, and it still could beat all other 2m planes in our club.
Youīll have to move the CG up front were the instruction says and fly it a little faster, and youīll get more control. If you just hang up there, itīll come down, you have to fly it, and when you do that itīll stay up for ever. My record is allmost 2 hours. Donīt worry about the extra weight, in the e-version (spectra) I used 8 1700Mah cells, ESC, and a geared speed 600, so an oz. more or less doesnīt matter, but get the CG were it has to be.
Go fore the Spirit itīs a Great Plane

hans
Hans is offline Find More Posts by Hans
Old Jun 27, 2001, 06:38 PM
reynoldsburg Oh,43068.
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
Thanks for the replies on the spirit. I am experienced pilot,just not good at thermal hunting. I suspect that my plane has to be tail heavy,even though it is within the directions inteded balance point. My thunder tiger ep has alot more authority so I will move the cg forward on the spirit and see how it goes.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:34 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,211 Posts
Your Spirit should be a good flier.. but if it gives you problems, the Gentle Lady might be a good choice to get a better feel for the way things are supposed to fly.
The Spirit will outperform the GL, so maybe you just need to fly it more, possibly with some assistance from an -experienced- glider flier.
And it makes a good e-plane! I put the motor and things in my Spirit, and it is a super thermaller..
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member