HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:12 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Regarding the voltage regulator on the cable, this is very possible. I know that when I purchase the Spidermite from the factory I have the option of buying a cable with built in regulation.

When I've hacked the Spidermite into a flyable system, I've tacked an LM2940 onto the back of the transmitter case. Not sure if this is the brightest idea, as I'm dumping the regulator heat onto the tx, but it makes for a compact installation and I haven't burned the tx up yet. Good airflow is a must.

Do be sure to look at the different package sizes available for the LM2940. The smaller the better, since a "full size" TO220 regulator will dwarf the transmitter! If you have a little SMD experience, the SOT223 is nice and small. A heat sink is critical on this package since the tab is very small.

If you do happen to blow up your transmitter, consider moving up to a 50mw or 200mw transmitter. The size is not that much larger, they run on 5v, and the firebird should be able to carry them. Both come with a nice little receiver with detachable antenna, great for when you want to put your big-honkin' high gain antenna on and fly out of sight

I still need to get the 50mw unit listed on my site.

Bill
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Last edited by yb2normal; Jul 14, 2003 at 01:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:59 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
yb2normal and Rc-Cam,

You are both very generous with your advice. Thanks much.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new camera. In the mean time, I think I'll bring the Wingo out of moth balls and see if I can make that work for my new platform. Otherwise, the Firebird-XL is doing a good job for me.

I also have a couple more videos to edit and post on my web page. I have another fly over of a church and a camp grounds in the works.

The city took down the soccer nets in the park behind my house so maybe I'll do a soccer goal limbo with cockpit view from my Tiger Moth.

Did I mention this whole video thing is a blast?!

Thanks again to both of you!

Brad

http://home.mchsi.com/~meyersbl/hobby/default.htm
bradm is offline Find More Posts by bradm
Old Jul 17, 2003, 02:12 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:

Did I mention this whole video thing is a blast?!
Yeah, I think I got that impression

I posted two new videos on my video page:

http://blackwidowav.tripod.com

Bill
Old Aug 02, 2003, 10:10 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal

Sourcing some new lenses for the CX161 is on my list, but there are a bunch of things ahead of it. In the interim, you can get a nice selection of lenses at www.rock2000.com
Bill
Bill I can't seem to find the lenses for the CX161 on this site. I've ddone searches and bowsed the products. Do you have a manufacturer's name or can you point me to a specific page page?

Thanks,
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Aug 02, 2003, 11:42 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,837 Posts
Ah, lenses, which brings me to a question I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile.

Has anybody used an 'protective/clear' type of lens to cover the camera lens ?

I was wanting to mount the camera under the wing, but being a belly lander, I was afraid of getting grass stains on the lens.

Think an additional clear lens cover would create a unwanted 'reflection' ?

(By the way, that power converter works great. Thanks RC-CAM for supplying that info.)
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Aug 02, 2003, 12:11 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erashby
Bill I can't seem to find the lenses for the CX161 on this site.
The same lenses for the KX121 will fit the CX161, scroll down on this page for available lenses:

http://rock2000.com/Company/Panasoni...l/GP-KX121.htm

William, that is a good idea about a lense cover. You'd obviously want to select something that was optically clear, and if it happens to be coated, all the better. I think any material designed for regular photographic lenses would be a good choice, it comes down to finding something small enough, or something that can be cut easily to fit.

Bill