HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2003, 03:56 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
rcrick

Are you running the Video rig off of the same battery as the motors? Any interference from the motors/ESC? How big is the plane and what size motor/batteries are you using?

Thanks
Dennis Moran
dmoran is offline Find More Posts by dmoran
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2003, 07:54 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I have had good luck using a uBec to run the power from the main pack. using a seperate DC to DC converter means the power is on the other side of the regulators for the servos and the motor current doesnt seem to affect it. I am pulling about 30A from an endo and I dont see a difference in picture quality befween motor off and wide open...

just an idea.. plus you dont have to worry about the transmitter/camera pulling too much current and blowing up you receiver!
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:12 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,989 Posts
I've got one of the older ones also, Tx requires 12V input.

Any ideas to power this without adding extra batteries ?

How are others doing it ?
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:17 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Jeff also makes a 12V version...

see this thread

If you are trying to save weight, this is my recommendation...
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:38 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Re: Re: Black Widow systems are the way to go.

Bill, thanks for the answers. I hope I made it clear that I am entirely happy with the system, I am just trying to experiment and make any improvements which I can.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get time.
I'll try "muting" the microphone also.
I'll try flying in other locations as well. Don't some alarm systems use 2.4 GHz. There are some industrial building in the area.

I use a separate battery pack, but it is right next to the Plane's battery and ESC.

I'll try shielding with Aluminum foil, but I don't know how to ground it. I hate it when I "ground" my plane unintentionally.

Getting the 200mW unit is tempting. How did they change "the way the video is transmitted? I'm sure you've tried the 200 mW system with the old Rx. But I could use the same camera and patch antenna, right? When will you have "ready to fly" 200mW systems available?

The newer version of the 50mw transmitter that is smaller than the current version, how much does it weigh? What are its dimensions? Does it use the same Rx?
My Tx transmits on channel 1.
Can I get the new Tx on channel 2, 3 or 4? What is the approximate cost?

How about offering some other lenses for the camera. Maybe a wider angle and a more telephoto. I'd be interested in both

[B/][QUOTE/] It warms my heart when I hear people getting good results and enjoying my equipment. I'm still very much a hobbyist running a business to get good quality video into the hands of my fellow flyers. [/B][/QUOTE]

Your efforts and devotion to quality at reasonable prices are appreciated.
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Last edited by erashby; Jun 18, 2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:48 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I just realized tha tthe 12V uBEC needs to "step down" so you would have to use at least 12 cells for it to really work... oh well..

I thought the voltage range was 5-12V for that system? no?

I cant wait for the 200mW system to come out... Any word on availability?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:24 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
I thought the voltage range was 5-12V for that system? no?
I cant wait for the 200mW system to come out... Any word on availability?
The "ready-to-fly" 100mw system incorporates a step-up converter with a wide input voltage range of 5v to 11v. Many folks elect to purchase the bare components and roll their own. The 'core' 100mw transmitter operates at 12v.

Good news, the factory is telling me they are in full production of the new transmitter/receiver line... I'll be carrying a 50mw, 200mw and 600mw unit all of which will operate at 5v. I'll also still carry the old 100mw unit for folks who like the core 12v. (There are a lot of very good, inexpensive CCD cameras coming onto the market that operate at 12v so it's nice when everything operates at the same voltage)

I expect stock to arrive in the next month. Bare components will become available first, with RTF systems soon after.
Quote:
I hope I made it clear that I am entirely happy with the system, I am just trying to experiment and make any improvements which I can.
It was very clear
Quote:
Don't some alarm systems use 2.4 GHz. There are some industrial building in the area..
Very good point. Many warehouse type facilities use microwave motion detectors in situations where standard PIR detectors would be ineffective due to shelves or boxes blocking the coverage area.
Quote:
I'll try shielding with Aluminum foil, but I don't know how to ground it.
The most vibration proof method I've seen is to take a short length of copper wire (like you'd find inside phone wire) and solder it to the case of the tx... use enough to go once around the tx. Wrap the tx with a single layer of muffler tape, being sure to leave the copper wire sticking out, then wrap the copper wire around the tx, then use a little bit more muffler tape to hold the copper wire firmly against the muffler tape.
Quote:
Getting the 200mW unit is tempting. How did they change "the way the video is transmitted?
I haven't scoped it yet, but a friend of mine suggested that they might have inverted the sync pulse, or perhaps adjusted the P-P voltages to something non-standard.
Quote:
But I could use the same camera and patch antenna, right?
Absolutely.
Quote:
When will you have "ready to fly" 200mW systems available?
Probably a couple weeks after I get my stock order in
Quote:
The newer version of the 50mw transmitter that is smaller than the current version, how much does it weigh? What are its dimensions? Does it use the same Rx?
The bare tx with short whip antenna is 0.2 ounces, and it is about 20mm x 20mm x 10mm. It uses the same 'new' tx as the 200mw and 600mw units.
Quote:
My Tx transmits on channel 1.
Can I get the new Tx on channel 2, 3 or 4? What is the approximate cost?
Actually the tx you have will transmit on all four channels, but I might have buried the switches under the shrinkwrap. The new unit will operate on 4 channels also.
Quote:
How about offering some other lenses for the camera.
Sourcing some new lenses for the CX161 is on my list, but there are a bunch of things ahead of it. In the interim, you can get a nice selection of lenses at www.rock2000.com

Bill
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:23 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
I have 2 12 Volt 10-cell packs that work well in my Zagi. I want to run the xmitter & camera (both 12V) straight off the pack. Just got a new 480-line Sony camera and will give the rig a test tonight or tomorrow. Eventually I want to find a good 400-size electric glider or possibly a small seaplane and build it around this setup. I already have some nice video with my older camera on a BIG telemaster. Will try to post some of the clips when I get time. Unfortunately I brain-farted and drilled the plane into a pipe at the end of the runway.... The worst part was that I wasn't rolling on the video, it would have made it almost worth the carnage to have the movie... :-)

Dennis
dmoran is offline Find More Posts by dmoran
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:24 AM
rcrick
Prentiss, Ms.
Joined Dec 2000
216 Posts
dmoran
I am running the video tx and camera off 3 123 lithum camera cells. I got a whole bunch of them at a salvage store for nearly nothing. I did fly the setup off the motor battery for a couple flights, but swiched to the seperate batt setup because of rc radio glitching. The video when using the motor batt. was clear.
I use a dc-dc converter to step up the 9 volts form the lithums to 12 volts for the video tx and a 5 volt reg. to step the 12 volts to 5 for the camera. The plane is a 2 meter Sig Riser and the motors are 300 GWS gear drives. I have a bunch of bat. packs that I use.
7 and 8 cell nicads and nimeds. My best pack for 8 to 10 min. of virtual flying is a 8 cell 1200mah nicad.(nearly one pound of batt.)
I just launch the glider and then go straight to the 10" tv monitor and fly to landing. It's a blast. I am looking into getting Lipo cells.
When you are up and flying around - under the hood so to speak, you want to stay up for a good long wile. When I go home and watch the video, I am surprised at how long the flight are. They dont seem that long when you are flying. (need more flight time)
Can anyone suggest what Lipo pack to get for this project? The two motors draw 15 amps at full power with 8 nicads.

Ricky
rcrick is offline Find More Posts by rcrick
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:01 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal
The "ready-to-fly" 100mw system incorporates a step-up converter with a wide input voltage range of 5v to 11v. Many folks elect to purchase the bare components and roll their own. The 'core' 100mw transmitter operates at 12v.

Good news, the factory is telling me they are in full production of the new transmitter/receiver line... I'll be carrying a 50mw, 200mw and 600mw unit all of which will operate at 5v. I'll also still carry the old 100mw unit for folks who like the core 12v. (There are a lot of very good, inexpensive CCD cameras coming onto the market that operate at 12v so it's nice when everything operates at the same voltage)

I expect stock to arrive in the next month. Bare components will become available first, with RTF systems soon after.
Bill
Bill,
The old/previous 50mW system that I have runs the Rx at 12 volts but the Tx and camera both run at 5volts, correct? Or is there also a dc-dc converter burried with the Rx or camera? I didn't think that there was. But I guess there is. Do you have a source for 5V CCD board cameras? Or will I still need the dc-dc converter?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:28 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erashby
Bill,
The old/previous 50mW system that I have runs the Rx at 12 volts but the Tx and camera both run at 5volts, correct? Or is there also a dc-dc converter burried with the Rx or camera? I didn't think that there was. But I guess there is. Do you have a source for 5V CCD board cameras? Or will I still need the dc-dc converter?
The 50mw transmitters have always operated at a core voltage of 5v. The receivers have always been 12v. The core 100mw transmitter operates at 12v. When I build RTF systems, I incorporate the dc-dc converter to allow the 100mw unit to operate between 5 and 11v.

In terms of 5v CCD cameras, I have the Panasonic CX161. This is the camera I use for all my videos.

Bill
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:22 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,989 Posts
Quote:
I incorporate the dc-dc converter to allow the 100mw unit to operate between 5 and 11v.
For those of us that didn't buy it RTF, how does one get his hands on this dc to dc converter ?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:43 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
For those of us that didn't buy it RTF, how does one get his hands on this dc to dc converter ?
An example on how to use the PT5041N DC-DC are shown on the old RC-CAM3 project page: http://www.rc-cam.com/rc-cam3a.htm

Mr. RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:22 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,989 Posts
Interesting, and it looks simple enough that even I could handle it (minus the mike preamp).

This PT5041N chip/gizmo seems magical, is it easy to obtain ?
How 'bout Radioshack, would they carry something like this ?

Looks like I got a new shopping list;

1 pc) PT5041N
2 pc) .1uF 50V Mono Ceramic Cap
1 pc) 100uF 16V Electro Cap, low ESR

I noticed that they are all 'Digi-Key' part #s, is there an online shop that I could order all this stuff from ?
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
I noticed that they are all 'Digi-Key' part #s, is there an online shop that I could order all this stuff from ?
www.digikey.com

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM