HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2003, 04:26 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Russ, that's a bummer! Any idea what happened?

From the shadow, the Aspire looks like a very nice plane, what is it's payload capability?

Bill
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2003, 09:08 PM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
Hey Bill. Thanks. I had two packs charged for my Bird of Prey to turn and burn off some steam.

I'm still trying to figure what happened.

My aspire is a 2M sailplane from Hangar 9. I traded a Lite Stik (NIB) for it 3 years ago. It came with the anemic 550 stock motor and the wings cut in half for shipping, and no canopy. Considering I paid $27 for the LiteStik, it was a bargain. I TLARed some holes in the wing spar and added about a 9" CF tube spar. The wing is quite solid.

I put a MAS 550 with gearbox on it two years ago and it flew well, until i miss an approach, went to motor around an the ESC kicked in and nosed it and shelved it for a year.

A month or two ago, I put in a Endoplasma with a 4.6:1 gearbox and 12 x 8 folder. It flew out of my hand nearly vertical. Insane climb.

Then I had to add my Canon S110. Pics here.

It still climbed with authority, so I reworked it to shoot forward and down with the video link.

The thing comes in fast and really could use flaps, but i needed something to play with.

I still can't figure it out. It's seemed to peter out. My throws may have been too far dialed back.

Hopefully end of next week I can have it fixed to try again.

He's an old pic of my Aspire.
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas
Old Jun 06, 2003, 04:54 AM
Barnet, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Feb 2003
67 Posts
200mW Blackwidow system

Bill, do you have a clearer date on when your new 200mW version will be available. I cant wait to order one !

FriesianFlyer
Friesianflyer is offline Find More Posts by Friesianflyer
Old Jun 06, 2003, 08:56 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Hi F.F.,

No specific word from the factory at this point on availability. I need to update my website to reflect this, sorry about that!

Please do check back on the website every now and then, I shall update the status just as soon as I have something.

Thanks,
Bill

P.S. For folks doing near-field work on tiny parkflyers, I do have stock of the Spidermite. Something to consider!
Old Jun 06, 2003, 01:40 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Bill,
I was reading up on the spidermite and if I missed this, I apoligize. What is the range? I have mostly high end parkflyers, but, they really never get more than 500-600' away.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jun 06, 2003, 04:30 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
The manufacture claims 600-900 feet, but for our highly mobile application I tend to be very conservative and say 300 feet. The Spidermite is really geared to the very small parkflyers. My Graupner Tipsy doesn't even break a sweat

Bill
Old Jun 08, 2003, 12:08 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
So what do you guys use for a monitor?
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Jun 08, 2003, 12:22 PM
Littleton Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
26 Posts
typically the LCD from the camcorder, various goggles (casio, sony, iglasses) or a 5.6" LCD screen from a headrest TV setup.

take a look at:

http://www.athomeprd.com/flight/video.html

or

http://www.yb2normal.com/sitemap.html
drbebo is offline Find More Posts by drbebo
Last edited by drbebo; Jun 08, 2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2003, 01:45 PM
Fort Myers, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2002
40 Posts
I picked up a new Cornea Systems CT1503 15" LCD Flat Panel Monitor with TV Tuner from Amazon.com for $350 and have been using that. It works very well and unlike some LCD monitors it is very bright, more than a standard TV. It comes with RCA and S-video inputs, runs about 1 hour 20 mins on a 10 cell Panasonic NiMh pack and weighs only 7lbs.
aeroview is offline Find More Posts by aeroview
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:39 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Can you fly your plane with TV goggles?!?!?!
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Jun 09, 2003, 10:05 AM
Littleton Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
26 Posts
Yb2normal is much better at it than I am - but Yep, just make sure you have a spotter with ya.
drbebo is offline Find More Posts by drbebo
Old Jun 09, 2003, 11:24 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Thanks drbebo for the kind words.

I may be better under the hood, but nobody buzzes the highway like you can ;-)
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:59 PM
rcrick
Prentiss, Ms.
Joined Dec 2000
216 Posts
Hey Guys,
I have been flying this plane under the hood for about 4 years now. I do it without a buddy box or saftey pilot because I have no one in my area that is that intrested. It is not a problem with this plane because it flys so slow. Also I fly at the local airport so I have 3300 ft of runway so I can tell where I am by using the runway as a point of reference. This photo shows my setup with 900mhz FM tx from Supercircuits. I now use the smaller 900mhz tx just like the one Bill(Black Widow) sells on his site and the small pc 87 camera. Now I would love to try his Spidermite tx on a light weight micro Slow Flyer. With the 900mhz FM I get good range ( about 1700 ft with just rubber duck to rubber duck ant.) with only on drop out of the video when I am over head for about one second. I have learned to anticipate the dropout and just stay with the flight through it.
rcrick is offline Find More Posts by rcrick
Old Jun 16, 2003, 03:10 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Black Widow systems are the way to go.

I have the now discontinued 50mW system. I actually talked Bill into selling me his last one- His own private model. I love it.

Bill, if you don't mind I have some questions.

1) What is the range of the 50mW system that I have? Sometimes I am 100 feet away and lose the signal and other times I am 1000 feet away with a good signal.

I am now flying the system from a modified SkyScooter with a Mega Brushless motor. For CG reasons I have to keep the Tx and camera too close to the electronics and I am getting horizontal interference lines (Atleast I think that is what they are from. I'll have to turn off the motor for a longer period of time and see if they go away.)

2) Would wrapping the Tx in Aluminum foil help to shield it from the inteference? I have the modified small whip antenna instead of the stubby antenna.

Now that I am flying so much further away, I was wondering how much the new 200mW Tx might improve my range? Can I buy the Tx without the Rx since I already have the Rx?

Again, thanks for selling me the shirt off your back/the camera off your plane! It has been and still is a great system and a lot of fun.
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:22 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Re: Black Widow systems are the way to go.

Ok, lets see if I can answer these questions

Quote:

1) What is the range of the 50mW system that I have? Sometimes I am 100 feet away and lose the signal and other times I am 1000 feet away with a good signal.
There are so many factors that can effect range. Probably the number one factor that foils our attempts for perfection has to do with the environment we fly in... contrary to many vendor's claims, 2.4ghz video systems are not playing in an uncrowded field. We work side by side with wireless networks, 2.4ghz cordless phones, and even microwave ovens! If you are able to post still pictures of your results I can comment on what sort of interference you might be experiencing.

Quote:

I am now flying the system from a modified SkyScooter with a Mega Brushless motor. For CG reasons I have to keep the Tx and camera too close to the electronics and I am getting horizontal interference lines (Atleast I think that is what they are from. I'll have to turn off the motor for a longer period of time and see if they go away.)
Local electrical interference could definitely be coming in to play. One thing I have learned recently is that over driving the microphone can introduce lines in the video. Dampening the audio can be as simple as jamming some chewing gum over the small microphone element, or simply cutting it off completely.

Quote:

2) Would wrapping the Tx in Aluminum foil help to shield it from the inteference? I have the modified small whip antenna instead of the stubby antenna.
It depends on how (or if) the interference is being injected. Do you use a separate battery pack or share the RC battery? Keep in mind that an ungrounded shield can sometimes be worse than no shield at all.

Quote:

Now that I am flying so much further away, I was wondering how much the new 200mW Tx might improve my range? Can I buy the Tx without the Rx since I already have the Rx?
Without a doubt the extra power is going to get you extra range. The best part is that the new 200mw units are about the same size as the old 50mw units! Unfortunately the factory changed the way the video is transmitted, so a new receiver would be required.

As a side note, I'll also be carrying a newer version of the 50mw transmitter that is smaller than the current version. The factory ships it with a small whip like the one you have.

Quote:

Again, thanks for selling me the shirt off your back/the camera off your plane! It has been and still is a great system and a lot of fun.
It warms my heart when I hear people getting good results and enjoying my equipment. I'm still very much a hobbyist running a business to get good quality video into the hands of my fellow flyers.