HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:35 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cactus

I tested an unmodifed X10 cam on the same car in the same house two years ago and got better reception, but the camera you sent me is hands down better quality.

Ahhh-haa... first I can say that these transmitters are not particularly well suited for use with indoor mobile applications. Multipath issues can be significant.

Second, the x10 system puts out a whopping 1mw of power (versus 10mw), which in this case actually helps reduce multipath interference because you aren't pumping out a lot of extra power.

Also, the antenna's are supposed to be circularly polarized, and bounced signals will reverse their polarization which helps the receiver reject the multipath signals better.

I'll get your patch out on Monday.

**flyandcrash** Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the camera hanging out in front of the nose. It is an interesting perspective for sure.... a friend of mine commented on how much wing flex there appeared to be in the Wingo, so it was a good diagnostic flight

My next project will be to mount the superwide angle lense at the top edge of the rudder on my (soon to be built) Twinstar, facing forward. I should get a very cool wingtip to wingtip perspective for the flight!
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:39 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal

I'll get some pictures snapped today and put out a Beta testers page by this weekend.
I got the patch this week. Thanks Bill. I glanced over RC-CAM's write up of making your own patch antenna and connecting it with a BNC directly to where the old antenna was on the Rx he had. I have no idea what the connection is going to look like in the SpiderMite Rx. I am ready to cut it open, just hoping I can save some effort if you have any suggestions? Worse thing is I have to shrink wrap the guts if I cut the case off. No big deal really. What kind of connector did you use to interface the patch with the leads internally?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
The antenna inside the case is basically just some additional pcb traces on the main board that form a dipole.

In order to attach the new patch I literally cut off the last inch or so of the main pcb which contained the antenna. When I was done, the signal trace that led to the antenna terminated at the edge of the board, and it was to this that I directly soldered the patch. I didn't try adding a cable of any kind, I figured it would add unnecessary losses.

My hack page is finally up, here it is:

http://www.yb2normal.com/spidermiteBeta.html

I might end up ripping the antenna off and adding an SMA connector so I can experiment with different antennas. Wish I had thought of that in the first place!

Bill

P.S. I like the idea of the rc-cam patch, the extra gain would be a great thing for this setup.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Ok, looks like a good modification would be to add the SMA connector and then try the patch you sent and the RC -CAM one as a comparison. I'll look over the pages later, thanks
Old Apr 21, 2003, 08:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I modified the SpiderMite RX with the Patch this weekend in under 1 hour. I followed your instructions and found it failrly easy to do. I noticed a better signal, but did not eliminate the multipath Hits or lines that cycle every second or so. I still need to modifiy the rx power supply to go to my field battery. I was just going to cut the cord on the ps and put a Deans Ultra in line. I assume the white panted wire is positive?? Once I get the system fully mobile, i'll go out of town and test out there.

Would modifing the Tx antenna in anyway help?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:28 AM
Littleton Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
26 Posts
Line that appears every second or so -

Probably another 2.4 Ghz source is in the area. I have both 802.11 networks and a new 2.4 Ghz FHSS Panasonic Cordless phone in my house.

The 802.11 (DSSS) does not appear to cause any issues with the 100 mw system (until you get 3-5 APs in the same area), but the FHSS Panasonic cordless does. The beacon interval is every 30ms and appears as a white line on the video. I've noticed it in a few areas near houses - and have to assume someone has a 2.4 ghz phone.

Do you get the same line on a 50 or 100 mw system?

And have you moved to another location to test. Bill and I have found a few areas where we just can't get a good video due to all the interference in the area. But literally across the street things are fine.
drbebo is offline Find More Posts by drbebo
Old Apr 22, 2003, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mine is the 10mw Tx/Rx SpiderMite Combo that Bill is Beta testing.
I think you nailed it. I have a Linksys 803.11 wireless network in my house with one wireless connection accessing it. I have 900mhz phones (2) in other rooms. I was thinking that might be contributing to the lines. But the general directional problems I had are much improved since modifiying the antenna.

In order to test out in the open, I needed to make a few changes; I have tested powering the Tx/camera off of my hitec 555 Rx and it worked nicely. I also completed an in-line connector to be able to power the rx off of my 12 volt field battery so I can go out to a local field and try it.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:52 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
I'm glad the antenna mod was not too painful.

As DrBebo points out wireless video is like real estate, it is all about location, location, and location

- Bill
Old May 01, 2003, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2002
620 Posts
I got my wireless from Bill and all I can say is I'm very happy.

And here a short video test
http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/w2.wmv
Luap is offline Find More Posts by Luap
Old May 03, 2003, 08:14 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I modifed the spidermite rx with the patch antenna and also rigged a deans connector to go off my field battery or off the wall socket. I mounted the camera in my RC car and ran it outside of my in-laws house and it is working excellent! I had ground range of well over 300 feet and some out of site virtual driving near some cars. I need to put it in my MM Cessna 180 soon. I can only imagine the picture I will get from the air. After some hacking, this system is performing like I wanted. I am very happy with this puchase. Thanks Blackwidow AV!!!

Mike
Old May 03, 2003, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
In about two weeks I will have a Sony Mini DV Camcorder so I will be able to plug the signal into the camera and record some video. Stay tuned!
Old May 03, 2003, 11:40 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
I definitely want to see the video from the MM Cessna 180... that is a pretty small plane, isn't it?

This is really where the Spidermite will shine, on these tiny parkflyers.

Now if I could only get the factory to fulfill my order!
Old May 04, 2003, 11:10 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The 180 is a 35 inch span 8-10 oz parkflyer powered by an IPS DXA motor. I am running a etec 700 mah Lpoly 2 cell pack and an Berg 5DSP with azzar antenna. After I install my new Pixie 7 ESC, i'll get it in the air for a test using the power from the rx BEC.

I also will try putting the camera on my Voyager E Heli pretty soon. Its getting a 7800mah Lploy pack soon that will give me 20 min flights. Should be cool to see a view from the heli
Old May 11, 2003, 08:35 AM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
I finally got everything wired and headed to the park.

I'm using the 900 MegaHurts 500mw Tx transmitting the video out of a Canon S110 digital camera. It's mounted to the belly of an Aspire at a 25 degree tilt.

Very light wind. A bit humid. I was off to a good start. WAS is the key word.

See my CRASH video.

So far, the range is about 300 ft. -- NOT of the transmitter, but of the plane .

Busted motor mount. Bent shaft on spur gear of gear box. 10 broken rubber bands. Heavily bruised ego.

Camera and TX fine.

rt
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas
Old May 11, 2003, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2002
620 Posts
Well if your'e into crashes, here's one of mine with the micro heli taken outside
http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/wos.wmv
Luap is offline Find More Posts by Luap