HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Video From the Shack

I do have some video shot with cameras from the shack, its on the web site. What I'm trying to do is get some video from my HummerCam on the web site. www.camera-shack.com

This is my first attempt at an R/C heli equiped with a camera. I have an interference problem when running from the flight battery. It is an electric heli and I would like some help with this project. I need help filtering the high frequency noise from the electric motor from the transmitter and camera power leads.

If anyone can offer any assistance it would be most appreciated.

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2003, 02:35 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Mar 2003
1 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Black Widow 500mw 900Mhz system? I am curious if anyone has had a chance to compare it to the 100mw 2.4Ghz system, which system they preferred, and for what reasons.
yagmaster is offline Find More Posts by yagmaster
Old Apr 03, 2003, 06:12 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dck47
Bill,

Let me know the second you make these available!

Calvin.
The SpiderMite tx/rx set is available now in a limited Beta release. You'll find them on my website http://www.blackwidowav.com/ ... click 'products' then 'bare components'

I beat the horse dead on the webpage, but I'll beat it some more here... this is a beta release, open for experimentation, and likely to change as I learn more about it.

I hacked in a patch antenna to my receiver and am getting great results, and I'll throw in a bare pcb patch to anyone who is as adventuresome with the dremel as I was! I'm hoping the factory can get me some patch based receivers, but I'm making due with the current design for now.

Bill

P.S. Completely unrelated video from my 100mw system on the Wingo, using a 115 degree wide angle lense:

http://www.yb2normal.com/widewingocam1.zip

yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Last edited by yb2normal; Apr 03, 2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2003, 09:44 PM
Hating Profile Planes :-)
Germany
Joined Nov 2002
241 Posts
yb2normal

Hello YB2NORMAL,

my congratulations to your new SpiderMite system! Excellent!

I have the same video transmitter here in Germany. The raw weight is 2.9g. Unbelieveable.

Where on the transmitter did you solder the microphone to?

Regards Hans
glockengockel is offline Find More Posts by glockengockel
Old Apr 03, 2003, 09:59 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Hello Hans,

The factory solders on the microphone on the units that have the microphone. Then they covered it with a black ceramic or epoxy, so I can't even say where it is soldered down.

Sorry!

Bill
Old Apr 03, 2003, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Hi Bill. I just ordered your SpiderMite Tx/Rx set. I have been looking for an afforadble 5-6 volt tiny 2.4 ghz system for two years and finally ran accross your new product beta. I am looking forward to working with you on improving and testing this setup. I did not buy your camera because the 5 lux rating is mostly for outside, and my first application is going to be guiding my small rc car around the house while viewing the video on my PC All In Wonder capture card. Next project will be my Voyager E heli!

I am on the hunt for a good quality 5-6 volt <1 lux carmera for indoor /low light stuff. Any ideas?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 04, 2003, 07:29 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Hmmm... off the top of my head I don't know of a 5v camera that would fit the bill.

I would check at www.supercircuits.com. They are very reputable and if there is a good quality, low-lux, 5 volt camera to be had, they will probably have it!

Crazy part is that most board cameras are going to dwarf the spidermite transmitter!

Let me know what you find,

Bill
Old Apr 05, 2003, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Yeah Bill, I have yet to find a 350-470 TV lines <1 Lux CCD camera that runs off 5 volts. All of them seem to be 12 volts. So, I am going to use your CX161/Spidermite combo for outdoors for now. I plan on tapping into an open rx channel to power the combo. MAH Consumption should be similar to adding servos, so I will bench test it very well with my Whattmeter to see the amp draw together with the flight gear. One option I was thinking about is using a single kokam 560 Lpoly cell and get a small DC to DC voltage setup chip to go from 3.7-4.2 up to 5 to power the Spidermite and the CX161 camera. That should only add about 15-18 grams with wire and isolate the unit to go into anything that can take the extra weight. I looked at the DC to DC chips that RC-Cam mentions on his site, and think that I could prob do a 5-12v setup chip for some of the low lux 12 volt cameras too.

We'll see
Old Apr 06, 2003, 08:14 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cactus
One option I was thinking about is using a single kokam 560 Lpoly cell and get a small DC to DC voltage setup chip to go from 3.7-4.2 up to 5 to power the Spidermite and the CX161 camera.
That is a very neat idea... do you have a converter in mind already? I think I've seen one at Jameco.com, but I don't think it could handle the current draw of camera + transmitter.

Definitely keep me posted.

Bill
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:25 AM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
FMA has a new voltage regulators coming out. The two-LiPo cell version outputs 5v off of 8.4v pack. Seem reasonable with 3 super-bright LEDs voltage indicator for $22.

"SPORT" VRLI for 2 Cell Series LiPo
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas
Old Apr 06, 2003, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Yep I saw the FMA product too. My idea is to go as lightweight as possible even sacraficing duration. I plan on only needing the camera to work for about 10 mins at a time. So if I add up the amp draw of the Tx and Camera and go with a one or two cell L poly pack that can handle the load at 3c or lower for 10 mins then thats my target setup. Even the 145 mah kokams could give 435 mah (3c) which should be plenty of current capacity for the combo I would guess now.

I checked out Digikey for the DC to DC converters. I just need to do some calcs to see what model to order if I go this route. I will also watch the FMA product to see if I could use a 2 cell 145 mah Kokam Lpoly to power it.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal
I hacked in a patch antenna to my receiver and am getting great results, and I'll throw in a bare pcb patch to anyone who is as adventuresome with the dremel as I was! I'm hoping the factory can get me some patch based receivers, but I'm making due with the current design for now.
Can I get some details about how I can make this modification? I am finding the Rx range and interferance very bothersome.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:05 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
I'll shoot some digital pictures of what I did. I'll also send a free patch to any of the beta participants who ask.

One thing to keep in mind is that this equipment is just as prone to multipath interference as any of my other equipment, and all the same rules apply. I have one soccer field that I can't fly at all because of the multipath issues. Yet another soccer field gives better results... still some multipath because of all the structures around, but some nice long clips of clear video.

transmitter antenna orientation (vertical is best) and location on the plane will play into the results also.

For initial testing I always fly at this big old empy field at the edge of town to rule out (most) multipath issues. Then I can tweak the transmitter position on the plane.

I'll get some pictures snapped today and put out a Beta testers page by this weekend.

Thanks,
Bill
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:48 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bill. I am on your beta list if you don't know my ezone name to my name. I also need to build a cable to power the Rx off of my fieldbox battery so I can try some different locations like you did. I should just be able to find a plug with the same polarity as the power supply for the Rx you sent and put banana plugs on it to go into my power panel on the flightbox. Easy enough...

I tested an unmodifed X10 cam on the same car in the same house two years ago and got better reception, but the camera you sent me is hands down better quality.

I would like to apply your patch modification to the Spidermite Rx to rule out some of the directional issues. I realize it will never be free of some noise and interference, but I would like to try it.

I'll PM you my contact info.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Apr 11, 2003, 01:15 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yb2normal

P.S. Completely unrelated video from my 100mw system on the Wingo, using a 115 degree wide angle lense:

http://www.yb2normal.com/widewingocam1.zip

YB,
that video was really neat. Nice to know what my Wingo looks like cruising around up there from the front view. Do you have a pic of your wingo with the cam out front? ( or was there another plane flying in formation in front the whole time?)
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99