Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2003, 02:25 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,516 Posts
Black Widow wireless video - how good?

I am considering the Black Widow wireless video system.

What is the quality, range and weight of the system?

What is your overall satisfaction?

Any videos posted using this set-up? What did you use as your recording device?

Thanks!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2003, 02:34 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,516 Posts
Found some info..

OK, I found a few posts, this looks like a good system, and I found the weight (1.9 oz.)

So what IS the range of the 100 MW system? I'd still like to see some video using this system.

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Feb 17, 2003, 04:17 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Hi CJS,

I'm sure others will jump in with their *unbiased* opinions, but I saw your post and figured I'd jump in

I quote a range of 1/4 mile for very good video. Farther range is attainable, but with degraded quality.

You can see some videos from the system here:

http://blackwidowav.tripod.com

Try later if you get a "bandwidth exceeded" message. I am currently fighting with tripod over why my paid account is mysteriously getting converted back to a free (low bandwidth) account.

Here is a video hosted on a different site that won't get nailed by bandwidth limits:

Right Click here and select "save target as" to save the video to your hard drive.

Regards,
Bill
Black Widow A/V
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:50 PM
Littleton Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
26 Posts
Since I have two Blackwidow setups - I can vouch for Bill's quality. I started flying back in September of last year and immediately wanted to get a bird's eye view. I had nearly all the parts for make my own system, but wanted a system that was proven.

The 100mw system only weighs 2 ounces with the 18 inch camera cable (and leeching off the planes battery). I have played around with several reciever antennas and 1/4 mile is a conservative esstimate. Long and Short - its a quality system with Professional quality video.

To be honest, the part that sold me was that Bill was willing to just use packing tape to hold all the gear on his Wingo - nothing fancy - just functional.

But don't take my word - check out www.rc-cam.com and the forums section, there you will find a large number of satisfied customers. As well as my current camera system which incorporates GPS and an onscreen display.
drbebo is offline Find More Posts by drbebo
Old Feb 18, 2003, 02:42 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Holy COW. I looked through the video examples, and they were AWESOME! I say, if you got the cash, DO IT. They even put one on a TM, and it flew great! That means you could put it on virtually anything! This looks really cooool, but the $$$ is more like $$$$$$$.
-aeropenguin
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Feb 19, 2003, 07:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
28 Posts
Re HiCam 2.4 Ghz Wireless Video

Hi,

Just letting you guys know about a 2.4 Ghz wireless Video camera Pro100 which is made in Tasmainia by HiCam.

I have just brought one of these units and all I can say is that the quality is great.

Camera range is upto and over 1200 feet one a cleat day.

you can get all info on these units at www.hicam.com.au

I have included some pictures of the unit and wireless reciever.

Regards,

Gary Rodgers
blackhawk is offline Find More Posts by blackhawk
Old Feb 19, 2003, 07:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
28 Posts
Re Video setup for Pro100 by HiCam

Here is the video setup which comes with the Pro100 System
blackhawk is offline Find More Posts by blackhawk
Old Feb 19, 2003, 07:07 AM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
I figure I would put my 2 cents in, I presently have the 50 Mw system. Which I have used on a couple of GWS planes (Cub/Tigermoth) I have tried modified X10 cameras and the "e-bay Tawain specials" and found the Blackwidow system more superior. That I even just ordered the 100mw system to use on a larger plane.
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
Old Feb 21, 2003, 05:56 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
The HiCam system would want to be great for the price tag! At $495US ($840AU) ouch.. I could buy quite a few bits from www.allthings.com.au to roll my own for that.
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
Old Feb 21, 2003, 04:36 PM
T:W>1= :>)
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Joined May 2002
1,445 Posts
I love mine

I have the 100mw system on a Wingo. Check out
my website below and look at the "Chasing the
Tiger Moth" video.

Here's the video link:
http://www.steveshangar.com/The%20Wi...iger%20Moth.rm
rc-eflyer is offline Find More Posts by rc-eflyer
Old Mar 12, 2003, 04:34 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
rc-eflyer, everytime I watch that video I smile

Now all you need is a tail facing camera on the tigermoth so you can see the Wingo approaching!

I'm evaluating some new, very tiny transmitters which I'll be mounting on my Tigermoth. They aren't released yet, but I've put up a page so people can see what they look like:

http://www.blackwidowav.com/spidermite.html

I shot a short video using this transmitter on the tigermoth, it's the second video on this page:

http://blackwidowav.tripod.com

- Bill
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:04 PM
LA, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Bill,

The spidermite looks like a very favorable choice for my application (micro heli and fixed-wing). Any information on availability/pricing?

I already have a camera, so I'm just looking for micro-sized transmitter and reciever set.

Thanks!

Calvin.
dck47 is offline Find More Posts by dck47
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:56 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
OH MY!!!!!!

I already have a Wing-E that you can barely hear because it's flying with a brushless outrunner (no gears) and now you have a video system it could carry easily......talk about the makings of a stealthy UAV .

By all means tell me more, please, sir!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:29 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
So far pricing has not been set. My plan right now is to release a small set of these in a limited beta to see how people abuse them

Based on the ease with which these hacked down for aerial use, I will most likely offer the base tx/rx (just like Calvin wants) and at some point in the future offer RTF systems.

I have to say I am tickled with these so far. If the results continue as they have, they will really fill a gap in my product line-up (really small parkflyers)

- Bill
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:50 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
I have two of Bill's systems, all I can say is WOW! Very crisp video and excellent quality and service. Bill is tops. When I have family or friends over I break out a video of the on board system and they can hardly believe it. Highly recommend...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C