HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
Discussion
Charging packs without balance taps with balance charger?

I've searched but I didn't see anything useful.

Basically I have a 3s lipo with no balance taps. LHS has a decent charger but is a balance charger only. Is there a way to charge the battery with that charger or should I just wait for shipping and get something else?
jbarr2000 is offline Find More Posts by jbarr2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:25 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
This is sort of a no-win situation - that battery w/o balance taps isn't going to last nearly as long anyways, especially if it is in a high discharge rate application. It would make sense to just consider the battery expendable (all Lipos are anyway) and buy batteries with balance taps in the future.

You have 2 options for batteries with balancing taps - get a balance charger, or get a non-balancing charger and a separate balancer (which is not as failsafe- you have to be aware of the conditions that will spike a cell despite the balancer).
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:46 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
I emphatically agree that it's very wise to only consider lipos that are manufactured with balance taps as they're really the only way to fully understand the health of your packs. Whether packs with taps will last longer than packs without taps, however, is not so clear cut. I have some very high quality packs that are approaching three years old that are still performing as wonderfully as when I put them in service, yet have never required balancing. This is after over 160 discharges. The packs do have taps and I check them from time to time and all cells are generally within .01-.02V. Granted my application is not too tough on them and they've never been flown to LVC nor have they ever seen 120F.

Matter of fact, I cannot recall seeing any lipolys recently that did not have manufacturer installed taps ('cept the small TP's) so it looks like taps are approaching ubiquity.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr2000
I've searched but I didn't see anything useful.

Basically I have a 3s lipo with no balance taps. LHS has a decent charger but is a balance charger only. Is there a way to charge the battery with that charger or should I just wait for shipping and get something else?
Can't answer the posed question without knowing the charger the LHS is offering.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Oct 11, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
The other two batteries I have have taps, so it's just this one. I bought it used and didn't think to ask if it had taps and it wasn't disclosed, lesson learned. I got it for pretty cheap so no big deal. I'll be runnin the thing less than 18 amps, probably less than 15.

I wish I could remember the name of the charger now, but I can't. I may just end up ordering something online. Any suggestions to take care of my batteries?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
The Bantam BC-6 is excellent.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
Another thing you may consider is to add balance taps yourself. This would require carefully removing the shrink wrap on the end of the pack where the discharge wires exit, soldering wires to the PCB, and then recovering. I've performed this exercise a few times when the manufacturer installed tap wires have broken off and it's really not too difficult if you're comfortable with soldering. Just need to be careful when removing the shrink wrap to ensure that you don't cut into a cell or tab.

Adding taps is really the only way to know that your pack is healthy an in balance and will eliminate any nagging concerns about a catastrophic event should the pack go grossly out of balance. This will also allow you to purchase the balance charger that you're considering and use it with all of your packs.

Most common tap types (TP, Hyperion, JST-XH) are very easy to find and quite reasonably priced.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
The Align style taps are the most prevalent.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,684 Posts
I'm all for "tapping" the pack. Won't most balance chargers charge without having to balance?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
I thought I had seen some adapters that were a deans ultra to a balance (jst or whatever) plug so you could plug it into your balance charger. That's really what I was getting at.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
Quote:
I thought I had seen some adapters that were a deans ultra to a balance (jst or whatever) plug so you could plug it into your balance charger. That's really what I was getting at.
I don't understand that. To have balancing capability, you need number of balance tap wires=number of cells+1
Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
This is what I'm talking about....

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Gal...KZ1040&Index=0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:12 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Ok, thats your charging lead adapter for when you don't have Deans on both the charger and the battery. Most people have Deans on both, but I can see a need for adapters if you can't solder.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:29 PM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
Sorry for being a little slow on this but...

So that would charge the battery if you had a charger that didn't have deans connectors and a battery that didn't have balance taps? I think I've found a charger, but I'd still like to know.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:02 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
What charger are you looking at?

A lot of chargers dont have the male Deans, or in some cases you pay extra to have them. If you can't solder, is there anyone local that could show you? If not, just get the adapters you need.

If you are buying this charger at a LHS, they should be answering these questions. If they don't, try another LHS.

Thats what I did to get started because I had 100's questions at first. But I did have soldering experience. The most common connector is female Deans Ultra on the battery.
Last edited by Zerts; Oct 11, 2008 at 07:12 PM.