SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2009, 06:27 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,484 Posts
actually the same problem occurs in the mains as well.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2009, 07:50 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,635 Posts
Myc is right i3dm. I hate to see you scratch the missiles on the wing tip or break off totally. I would turn around the nose wheek (spring is) and screw it in place. Removing the spring, but make sure you throw a CF rod or something. My Blueangle snapped on me. PLEASE do something about for yourself because Pete from BananaHobby is hard to get in touch for replacement. I'm Not dogin you Pete. I just know youre a busy guy .
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old May 22, 2009, 08:53 AM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
I've just been mostly lurking here, as this jet looked good...

Well, I am absolutely amazed, and not in a good way, at what all you guys have had to do to make this jet work. I mean, the craftsmanship is impressive, but for the price it is a shame that all this work needs to be done. Also, speaking only for myself, it seems the more I have to handle a foamie jet during construction/mods, the more little dings and dents it seems to accrue.

Maybe one day there will be a kit that is good to go right out of the box. You know, a jet where every time you start to think "I wish they'd done it this way", well, son of a gun, they did! The more I see here, the more likely I'll pass on this jet.
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Old May 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,944 Posts
You know sluggo, there's also a lot of things being done here because this is our hobby. I love to fly planes, I do a lot of flying... but I like building and tinkering with these things even more. Unfortunately for me, I am high energy and high stress and the time I spend building really helps me unwind. I know I do far more then most these 'toys' warrant but the time spent is playtime to me. Just my 2 pennies though.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old May 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
Kill Devil Hills 27948
Joined Mar 2009
420 Posts
I agree MYC
You know sluggo, there's also a lot of things being done here because this is our hobby. I love to fly planes, I do a lot of flying... but I like building and tinkering with these things even more. Unfortunately for me, I am high energy and high stress and the time I spend building really helps me unwind. I know I do far more then most these 'toys' warrant but the time spent is playtime to me. Just my 2 pennies though.

Its just like a car or a boat always something to do to make it better or faster!!!

but its great you can come here and find them out a lot faster an see what works and whats a wast of time!!just a big bunch of KIDS playing!!!!
obxfishfuzz is offline Find More Posts by obxfishfuzz
Old May 22, 2009, 09:34 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,273 Posts
Don't buy this plane unless you don't mind everyone at the field watching you fly it.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old May 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,484 Posts
jet-ster, i do have a CF rod in the bottom of the fuse, see my pics.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old May 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,749 Posts
All up...these mods don't take more than an hour to do. It's just sounds complicated because the posts on here are all over the place (in a good way). Really an hour to make the jet Awesome is a small price to pay. I would have loved if it came perfect...but it's not the case. And anyone who fly's this jet will tell you that it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. The foam is tough...the dings are few...and the cheers on landings are plentiful!

And Merlinfan I couldn't agree more! Everytime I walk out there with my jet...the entire flying field stops and stares. I was intimidated at first. Now I love it! I haven't locked my spring down in my front strut and it works fine after the simple mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
I've just been mostly lurking here, as this jet looked good...

Well, I am absolutely amazed, and not in a good way, at what all you guys have had to do to make this jet work. I mean, the craftsmanship is impressive, but for the price it is a shame that all this work needs to be done. Also, speaking only for myself, it seems the more I have to handle a foamie jet during construction/mods, the more little dings and dents it seems to accrue.

Maybe one day there will be a kit that is good to go right out of the box. You know, a jet where every time you start to think "I wish they'd done it this way", well, son of a gun, they did! The more I see here, the more likely I'll pass on this jet.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Last edited by Pepperpete; May 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:58 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,749 Posts
Recap for those just joining in.

Don't let these mods scare you away from an excellent plane. But I figured I would give the rundown to save some people from wading through a million pages. Some mods are recommended...some mods are consider IMO required...and some mods are optional. And when you look at that list it's not that long! Let me know if I missed anything.

---
Required for safe flying and many flights-

1) Add a carbon rod into the wings.
2) Add a carbon rod running the length of the fuse (below where the battery sits)
3) Secure the fan hatch with a carbon rod or your choice of securing method

Recommended for better control and durability-

1) On the nosewheel strut, use Ball Links instead of the stock control.
2) Replace the spagetti wire in the retract units with spring steel or piano wire
3) Use Epoxy on all gluing surfaces and remove any paint from gluing surfaces
4) Use Epoxy to glue in retract holders and NOT hot glue

Optional and not required to fly-

1) Install Rudders. Personally I fly without them and have a great time. They are NOT mandatory but do make it fun!
2) Install carbon strips in your "missles" on the ends of the wings. Just in case you do have a tiny tip over.
---

So there you have it. Nothing above takes a long time to do!
Last edited by Pepperpete; May 22, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:07 PM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
If I understand correctly, Version 2 will come with carbon rods in the wings, and functioning rudders. Are any of the other items addressed, such as fuselage strenghtening and landing gear issues?
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
Old May 22, 2009, 05:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Sluggo,

I've just received a ver2 kit.

Big carbon rods through the wings. Rudders are hinged and ready to go. I think they've made some minor changes to the ldg gear, but probably not enough.

I'm a slow builder, and I'm away interstate and overseas a lot over the next couple months. Updates will be slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
If I understand correctly, Version 2 will come with carbon rods in the wings, and functioning rudders. Are any of the other items addressed, such as fuselage strenghtening and landing gear issues?
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2009, 06:12 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,635 Posts
Though I share a sad moment with you guys. Here is what happen when my 50cc aerowork 260 meets a straight gust of east crosswind on landing goin north to south...... .... ......
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old May 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,749 Posts
Those rods they used are massive. I don't think they needed two of them. Especially rods that size right in the way of the airflow.

Are there any reinforcements to the main fuse?

And what changes are made to the landing gear? If it's the same spagetti aluminium as it was before..then your right, it's not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo
Sluggo,

I've just received a ver2 kit.

Big carbon rods through the wings. Rudders are hinged and ready to go. I think they've made some minor changes to the ldg gear, but probably not enough.

I'm a slow builder, and I'm away interstate and overseas a lot over the next couple months. Updates will be slow
Old May 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-ster
Though I share a sad moment with you guys. Here is what happen when my 50cc aerowork 260 meets a straight gust of east crosswind on landing goin north to south...... .... ......
*Salutes the 260*
Old May 22, 2009, 06:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Widgets and Gadgets

Just received most of the electrics (sans rx) for my Hornet.

- RC-Lander 90mm fan and 1600 kV motor
- 80A ESC
- UBEC
- 6s 4000mAh LiPo
- Eagletree Seagull flight data system (too geeky for words!)

Got some leave week-after-next
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member