Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2009, 05:34 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
DOH! I had extra epoxy and though I throw them on. DARN! Looks like another MOD again .

Drilling strut- I did drill the struts. I found out that using a screws was better then using the little hex screws to hold the struts in place.

magnets- I have heard some people are using them to hold wing to the body so them don't have to SCREW around with them. This was in one of the magzine a while back.
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2009, 06:05 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-ster
Here my completed springair 602s pictures. I manage to shorten up nose struts by around 1/2 inch. Which will cause a longer run before take off. But it should be solid. I will cover the rest of the nose strut with a straw as Ed has done in the pass.

MYC: I'm using the strut as of now. I though you might need the middle part (holds the servo) which I'm not using.
So how exactly does that work? Do the wires on the nosegear stearing just fold up under the strut when it's lowered?
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old May 15, 2009, 12:06 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
Well, looks like I snatched a victory from the jaws of desperation tonight. Looking back, this is the way I should have done it from the start. Thanks Jet-Ster for the inspiration (and offer of the one part of mine that's still intact )

Magnets... wing to the body... I would love to be there for that VERY short maiden

Ok, here are some pix.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old May 15, 2009, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
Wow, what a long thread. I just got one of the V1's last week. After killing two retract servos I found this thread. I aso had an issue I didn't see mentioned before. When the direction of the front retract is reversed the "T" shaped pusher on the contol rod must be reversed. Mine was not, and would not lock in the up position. I fixed that but the first test afterwards fried the servo. That was my fault partly because the linkage setup caused he servo to bind badly, until the gears stripped.

Is a Hs65MG servo enough for the front retract, or should I get an HS85MG?

I've already added rudders and rewired the landing gear to each unit is on a separate channel. That allows much better control over the end points of each servo. Programmable servos would work great too.

If I've covered material already in this thread please forgive me, I didn't read every post

Should I have been sent a V2 instead of a V1?

David
davidgp is offline Find More Posts by davidgp
Old May 15, 2009, 03:28 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
David, I'm not sure if there is a V2 out yet. But as far as my past HS81MG for the nose gear has been toasted. Have you guys ever taken the chance to pull and push on the nose retract with the gears and servo on? It's pretty heavy to go from up to down and down to up. So went with the HS75BB retract servo that was much better.
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old May 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,686 Posts
Unfortunately an HS65MG is not even close to being strong enough for the nose. Works on the ground but get any airpressure on it and it won't raise. Found that out the hardway. Proof...

90MM Starmax F 18 Maiden Flight (2 min 36 sec)

I have changed it to the HS-85MG and will be flying it tonight so I'll let you know. In all honesty I really wish I had just gone with a dedicated retract servo. The HS85 seems fine but I want something ROCK SOLID. Only tonight will tell. If that front gear doesn't go up in the air fully and I have any issues...that HS85 is out and retract servo is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgp
Wow, what a long thread. I just got one of the V1's last week. After killing two retract servos I found this thread. I aso had an issue I didn't see mentioned before. When the direction of the front retract is reversed the "T" shaped pusher on the contol rod must be reversed. Mine was not, and would not lock in the up position. I fixed that but the first test afterwards fried the servo. That was my fault partly because the linkage setup caused he servo to bind badly, until the gears stripped.

Is a Hs65MG servo enough for the front retract, or should I get an HS85MG?

I've already added rudders and rewired the landing gear to each unit is on a separate channel. That allows much better control over the end points of each servo. Programmable servos would work great too.

If I've covered material already in this thread please forgive me, I didn't read every post

Should I have been sent a V2 instead of a V1?

David
Old May 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-ster
David, I'm not sure if there is a V2 out yet. But as far as my past HS81MG for the nose gear has been toasted. Have you guys ever taken the chance to pull and push on the nose retract with the gears and servo on? It's pretty heavy to go from up to down and down to up. So went with the HS75BB retract servo that was much better.
Hey Jet,

Can you show us how you mounted that servo? I just looked it up and it's huge! A picture would be much appreciated.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:37 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
V2

The only place I have seen any V2's come out of is Marks place Extreme RC in Australia. Here is a post of it and the two changes noticed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1336

Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old May 15, 2009, 04:42 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete
Unfortunately an HS65MG is not even close to being strong enough for the nose. Works on the ground but get any airpressure on it and it won't raise. Found that out the hardway. Proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7dB...eature=channel

I have changed it to the HS-85MG and will be flying it tonight so I'll let you know. In all honesty I really wish I had just gone with a dedicated retract servo. The HS85 seems fine but I want something ROCK SOLID. Only tonight will tell. If that front gear doesn't go up in the air fully and I have any issues...that HS85 is out and retract servo is in.
Man, after seeing this video I am sold on this F-18. That sound is so sweet. If not for the gopher holes, you would think its a real F-18 with turbin power.

What Hayoe fan are you using? And how hard was it to balance??

I am ordering this plane Monday, err make that Tuesday. I was going to get the new A-10. This is just nicer....and bigger....oh, and its bigger.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,686 Posts
I was going to cut out the Gopher Hole Bounce fest as it ruined the "real" look but we laughed so hard when it happened that I had to keep it in.

I love this jet. It has some major problems but believe me...once you get it into the air you will be sold even with all it's faults. As I was getting used to it I realized I could do a tail slide that looks EXACTLY like the real jet. That sold me right there. And don't worry about the V2 kit. Nothing they did on it is anything complicated to do yourself on the V1 but just make sure you get that KIT and not an ARF.

I got the standard 90mm Hayoe fan from Hobbyking. Keep in mind it's not a direct dropin. You do have to remove some foam but the KIT is SUPER easy to do this and took me about half an hour removing foam with my dremel. As for balancing...I did my best but it was a pain to be sure. If Hayoe did as good a job balancing as Midi I would be in heaven. I won't use another fan because the sound is SO important to me. Moreso then power.

It's not completely balanced but it seems pretty happy in the air. I am a tiny bit concerned about 6C but sounds ok regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
Man, after seeing this video I am sold on this F-18. That sound is so sweet. If not for the gopher holes, you would think its a real F-18 with turbin power.

What Hayoe fan are you using? And how hard was it to balance??

I am ordering this plane Monday, err make that Tuesday. I was going to get the new A-10. This is just nicer....and bigger....oh, and its bigger.
Last edited by Pepperpete; May 15, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
The sound is what sold me on putting two Haoye fans in my CBM A-10 conversion Pete but balancing those things was a killer! seven fricken blades

What A-10 are you talking about Lithonian? Scratch that... just went to BH and saw it. Looking forward to the bigger one pete mentions in the review!
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Last edited by MYC; May 15, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC
The sound is what sold me on putting two Haoye fans in my CBM A-10 conversion Pete but balancing those things was a killer! seven fricken blades

What A-10 are you talking about Lithonian? Scratch that... just went to BH and saw it. Looking forward to the bigger one pete mentions in the review!
Same. I want duel 90's!! Or at least 70's. So I'll wait.

Yes balancing those blades is near impossible. A very frustrating thing. But oooooh so worth it in the end.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:35 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
469 Posts
I've been running an hs-85mg on the nose gear for about 10 flights. Has been working fine.

scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old May 15, 2009, 11:06 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
To much thinking!!

All this A-10 talk. Seeing how Starmax has really been hitting the 90mm market wouldn't it be nice to see the next 90mm they make a twin 90 mm A-10.

Problem there is, now I need to get a bigger vehicle.
You can only fit 3 70mm EDFs in the trunk of an Olsmobile...lol

Now, back to the F-18
Old May 15, 2009, 11:40 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Wait a minute ...WOWPLANES already has a 90mm A-10...it just needs the machine gun...an A-10 with no machine gun...is like a man with no machine gun.

Now back to the flimsy F18 90mm
Wefinance01 is online now Find More Posts by Wefinance01