HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:51 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,300 Posts
Nice video! All you guys in China fly at the same field? Seems every video from there is the same field
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:37 PM
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Nice video! All you guys in China fly at the same field? Seems every video from there is the same field
not China indeed.

Hong Kong government is generous enough to build a million dollars runway for us! Kai Tak International airport ...
tungym is offline Find More Posts by tungym
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,049 Posts
Either Hong Kong put in a 100 million dollar runway for RC pilots or you are sharing the same strip with 747s. lol
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
200 m.p.h. member
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
hi, my name is jim and this message is for pete at banana hobbies and everyone out there that has one of these f-18s. i purchased this plane back on 12-22-08 and have had nothing but problems with this plane, sure it looks great but these are the issues ive had so far...had to change e.s.c. and b.e.c. because of radio noise and installed castle 80 e.s.c.and b.e.c. and no more problems, that cost me around $170.00 - very poor quality servos, striped out on one main retract and one nose gear and steering servo not centering good, put in hitec hs82 and no more problems, had to reverse one for main retracts to work correctly, that cost me $80.00 so, after all that money ontop of the purchase price of $668.00 for plane and after getting everything dialed in on my computer radio the plane was doing o.k. so now i was running a 6 cell battery on it (like pete said was o.k. to do)today to see performance and THE FAN BLEW UP IN FLIGHT!!!! and i barely got it back deadstick with some very bad internal damage in fan area and pieces of fan embedded in fuse. and holes in bottom of plane!! i have done everything to make this plane a reliable one but i should have stopped when iwas purchasing e.s.c. im done talking now, and now i want action taken by pete and bananahobby to either give me a new v2 version of this plane and i will send old plane back to you with your componets and mine taken out or i want a refund of the purchase of this very unreliable aircraft, sure it looks great and flies decent but when you have wings you have to reinforce - servos to replace - esc & becs putting out noise and fans exploding the answer is simple: dont buy something that you think you might have problems with because you probably will!! . PETE. please tell me what you can do to remedy this problem, i feel you have a good product here it just needs alot of attention especially in the fan unit, perhaps a wemotec or something better than this. if it wasnt for the fan EXPLODING i might not be writing this complaint!! has anyone had a fan go out yet!!
jetman66 is offline Find More Posts by jetman66
Last edited by jetman66; Feb 23, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:55 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,049 Posts
Jetman I'm going to assume you didn't attempt to balance the stock fan? Probably not but I'll bet it is a requirement to run on 6S. Although on the other hand if you buy an RTF that is this expensive it should not have to be balanced IMO. I shudder to think people are spending $668 on a foamy.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
200 m.p.h. member
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
hope to hear from you soon pete, thanks
Last edited by jetman66; Feb 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:04 AM
200 m.p.h. member
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
yes i did balance it on a magnetic propbalancer, ive been in glow ducted fans and turbine for years now and also have a h.e.t mig 29 twin and those ive not had a problem with. i balance everything i have . thanks
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:45 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,730 Posts
Started painting my F-18. I am going with a very military theme based on the Canadian Forces F-18. And as those in Canada know...our F-18's have been around the block a few hundred thousand times.

Just the panel lines and paint (I finally have the color I was looking for...) for now but it's progressing. The top hatch is not painted which is why it doesn't look right and the panel lines are not as "vibrant" in real life...but so far so good I think...
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:36 AM
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetman66
hi, my name is jim and this message is for pete at banana hobbies and everyone out there that has one of these f-18s. i purchased this plane back on 12-22-08 and have had nothing but problems with this plane, sure it looks great but these are the issues ive had so far...had to change e.s.c. and b.e.c. because of radio noise and installed castle 80 e.s.c.and b.e.c. and no more problems, (cheap componets) that cost me around $170.00 - very poor quality servos, striped out on one main retract and one nose gear and steering servo not centering good, put in hitec hs82 and no more problems, had to reverse one for main retracts to work correctly, that cost me $80.00 so, after all that money ontop of the purchase price of $668.00 for plane and after getting everything dialed in on my computer radio the plane was doing o.k. so now i was running a 6 cell battery on it (like pete said was o.k. to do)today to see performance and THE FAN BLEW UP IN FLIGHT!!!! and i barely got it back deadstick with some very bad internal damage in fan area and pieces of fan embedded in fuse. and holes in bottom of plane!! i have done everything to make this plane a reliable one but i should have stopped when iwas purchasing e.s.c. im done talking now, and now i want action taken by pete and bananahobby to either give me a new v2 version of this plane and i will send old plane back to you with your componets and mine taken out or i want a refund of the purchase of this very unreliable aircraft, sure it looks great and flies decent but when you have wings you have to reinforce - servos to replace - esc & becs putting out noise and fans exploding the answer is simple: dont buy something that you think you might have problems with because you probably will!! . PETE. please tell me what you can do to remedy this problem, i feel you have a good product here it just needs alot of attention especially in the fan unit, perhaps a wemotec or something better than this. if it wasnt for the fan EXPLODING i might not be writing this complaint!! has anyone had a fan go out yet!!
Sorry to hear your bad experience. Right, there are not many foamy of this size and one needs to pay more attention in every single delicte part of it. So far I am quite satisfied with the performance and built of this big bird, some areas I have focused on :

1) The main wing issue, make sure enough epoxy (no UHU por) is needed to assemble the fuselage near the main wing. All gaps that have epoxy run out must be refilled with epoxies. I use some tape underneath the main wing and now does not bend anymore. The issue arise not only from the wing root but from the relatively thin airfoil. So far I have more than 12 flights and one crosswing crash into grass and no probglem at all. I initially think of fiberglass the main wing but now I can say if is safe without.

2) The elevator control linkage needs strenthening.
3) The retract shoe / mount needs lots of contact surface. The molding is not perfect and results in only a small contact surface. Epoxy is too fluid and run out easily and leave a lot of uncontacted area. I use liquid nails to fill the gap and it tolerated 2 hard landings without problem. Only the front gear shoe is short of contact area and I need 2 piece of 5mmx 20mm wood (cut from tongue depressor ) on each side to make a stronger point. Now the 3mm steel strut bend and the shoes are still in place, after hard landing.
4) I stripped the front servo gear once as the front retract is not "locked" in place. Make a careful visual inspection to see how they locked. I need to separate the front and rear landing retract channel (Rear Y-channelled) to make a perfect locking. Should the retract be in "locked" position, there is absolutely no excuse to strip the retract servo gears. The MAIN problem is using poor centered servo that results in "UNLOCKED" position and strip on landing. I am using 2 towerpro 9g servo for the rear. For the front 1.5kg/cm torque TP9g servo is not enough to retract against head wind.
5) The stock fan is perfectly balanced. The problem is the aluminium hub IS NOT WELL CENTERED !
So if you are using any poorly balanced outrunner/ worn front bearings, the situation will become worse and the fan will hit the shell and broke the blade in mid air. Gas EDF usually runs at lower rpm and has larger front bearing and vibration is less an issue. 6s@1600kv will spin over 40,000 rpm !
Make sure the DF spinned perfectly without noise or "smell" .
p.s. I solve that by dremel the hub rotating on a drill to get a better center hub. Still you have to adjust the fan in a perfect center position.
tungym is offline Find More Posts by tungym
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
beautiful work PepperPete!

tungym, congrats on the maiden! Glad to hear that yours is holding up. Are you flying 5 or 6s?

Mark
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:09 AM
200 m.p.h. member
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
hi tungym, jetman here, thanks for info , that fan was balanced realy good and held in my hand running at half throttle and could not fell any vib. i also centered it like you were saying ,everything done right and thing still blew up , suggest everyone not use fan on 6s for safety, change to midi pro 90 or you might have same problem i did BOOOMMM!!!! this is a real problem! would not recommend it. have to go..
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:43 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,300 Posts
That's a bummer jetman66 Mine has been great. I spent a bunch of time to balance it, but it was worth it Mine is really smooth and very quiet now too. I didn't even bother with the stock retract servos. All else has been great. Sorry yours was a friday 3pm kit
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:06 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Just maiden today IT FLEW GREAT! Blue Angles looked really great in the air with those yellow wing tips! I took a stab at stock 5 cell battery with my JS1490. Choosing a lighter battery due to the look of the gears. Glad I didnt do 6 cell I would had really mess up the jet with a heavey setup.
I landed pretty light and the gears popped out . and that is why I chose to go 5 cell first. Gona beef up gears and test it out with a 6 cell.
Over all JS1490 with 5 cell 3700 battery still flew pretty solid! Not super fast but solid. I flew for about 4 mins not max throttle ( didnt need it) . Landed and check battery with almost 19 volts left and battery barely warm. WOW Thats all I have to say! The JS is a very nice setup! I can't imagine 6 cell with JS1490! LOVE IT!
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
My fix for the gear is I'm gona score the plastic on the gear holder to give the epoxy something to grab on to. LOAD up on the epoxy and poke some holes in the foam to give more grip. I hope that will help. We will find out soon
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,300 Posts
Did you get any video? My gear came loose while I was assembling it. So I was fortunate to fix it before I had any damage.